IGNORED

Weird atari 400

qixmaster

It's a (slightly mangled, and very dirty) Inhome B Key 400

Yup. Bought one of those 1982-ish. By the time I'd got that and a memory upgrade, I wish I'd just bought an 800 in the first place.

LOL! The 800 was still $400 in 1982. The Atari 400 was $150 with a $50 rebate. For those 11-12 year olds selling our Atari 2600 for a computer this was the way to go.

I had a computer that was functional with a cassette recorder. Over time I we were able to build up to an 800 basically adding the 48K memory upgrade and later getting a better keyboard. If not for the 400 I would have never jumped into the Atari 8 bit line. And by the time the 800XL was $70 at Federated... well let's just say at least *I* wouldn't have started with that computer. Too many incompatible programs with the other 400/800 stuff.

The 400 rocked. And had a small footprint on the desk to boot.

Yeah, I can confirm that's the same keyboard upgrade on my 64k 400 (also upgraded with aftermarket kit). The only problem I can see with it is the lack of pictoral display for the additional functions of keys (as I tried out my "Intro to BASIC Programming I" tape, and I couldn't go any further due to lack of where what was aside from the letters and such)..

Yeah, I can confirm that's the same keyboard upgrade on my 64k 400 (also upgraded with aftermarket kit). The only problem I can see with it is the lack of pictoral display for the additional functions of keys (as I tried out my "Intro to BASIC Programming I" tape, and I couldn't go any further due to lack of where what was aside from the letters and such)..

Does that 64k upgrade on your 400 let you play 64k games?

Does that 64k upgrade on your 400 let you play 64k games?

IIRC, the 400 and 800 access the extra memory in those memory kits differently than the XL/XE, so 64K games won't work.

I had/have a 400 with a b-key keyboard. My keyboard has some yellow keys as well as brown, so it looks abit different than the one in the picture.

From your description, this sounds more like the Cherry keyboard

atari40.jpg.

I wonder which one of the three keyboard upgrades already mentioned in this thread was the best one.

Thorsten

I had/have a 400 with a b-key keyboard. My keyboard has some yellow keys as well as brown, so it looks abit different than the one in the picture.

atari40.jpg.

I wonder which one of the three keyboard upgrades already mentioned in this thread was the best one.

Thorsten

Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture, but believe it or not, I still have the original packing and it says B-Key keyboard. This is my original Sunnyvale 400 (with CTIA) that I had as a kid. It has 48k. I've always toyed with the idea of doing a video mod and a 64k mod on it, but if I couldn't get it to run 64k games I guess it would be pointless.

As far as which was the best. I loved the one I used. It wasn't as nice as my friends 800 but I can't imagine a keyboard upgrade getting any better. it was better than my mushy 130xe keyboard.

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

atari40.jpg.

Mine looks exactly like the one in the picture, but believe it or not, I still have the original packing and it says B-Key keyboard. This is my original Sunnyvale 400 (with CTIA) that I had as a kid. It has 48k. I've always toyed with the idea of doing a video mod and a 64k mod on it, but if I couldn't get it to run 64k games I guess it would be pointless.

Yes, the 64K mod is pretty pointless, but an s-video mod greatly improves on the picture quality of this beauty of yours (I bought a PS/2 s-video cable (comes with audio) and replaced the plug on one side with the DIN plug for my modded 800XL - on the 400 I'd replace the RF cable with it). And I'd replace the CTIA with a GTIA.

Other than that, your 400 seems perfect. To tell the truth, I am looking for one like this myself, they occasionally show up on eBay.

Thorsten

atari40.jpg.

Yes, the 64K mod is pretty pointless, but an s-video mod greatly improves on the picture quality of this beauty of yours (I bought a PS/2 s-video cable (comes with audio) and replaced the plug on one side with the DIN plug for my modded 800XL - on the 400 I'd replace the RF cable with it). And I'd replace the CTIA with a GTIA.

Other than that, your 400 seems perfect. To tell the truth, I am looking for one like this myself, they occasionally show up on eBay.

Thorsten

I actually tried to put a GTIA in there back when the GTIA came out. I'm not sure if this was BS or not (mind you I was 11 at the time) but the GTIA would not work and the guy at the Atari store (yes there were Atari 8bit only stores back then..) told me some early 400's and 800's would not work with the GTIA chip. Mine was ordered from California someplace and it is really old, must of been one of the first 400's off the line (it only came with 16k ram.

-Kev

Edited by Warriorisabouttodie

Hmm... Interesting.

@Thorsten Günther:

Does this keyboard require soldering while attaching it? And maybe some info about the producer/price of it?

B+C have some of the B key keyboards

PRA002H  B Key Keyboard 400 by In Home   25.00
	 Used! Only have a few. Full Stroke keys

OK, but it wasn't answer to my question in any way...

So...

Are there any other known (or maybe not-so-known) keyboard upgrades for Atari 400 (or maybe for other models, too)?

There were keyboard upgrade for the ST line (at least here in Germany, see e.g. this eBay auction) that consisted of keycaps (usually ivory and grey coloured, but as you can see, the function keycaps were also available in orange and green), new rubber springs with a more firm feel to them (similar to the "TT touch" sold by Best for the Atari XE) and plastic stripes to reduce the "depth" of key presses.

Other than that, I know none.

Thorsten

Edited by Thorsten Günther

The second photo is what mine looks like: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3750..._platforms_.php

Not sure if its custom or a retail product from the era, as I got it several years back like that. In fact, now that I think about it, I have some documentation related to the upgrade (both the keyboard and the memory were expanded), though I don't think it was "professional" through and through.

I actually tried to put a GTIA in there back when the GTIA came out. I'm not sure if this was BS or not (mind you I was 11 at the time) but the GTIA would not work and the guy at the Atari store (yes there were Atari 8bit only stores back then..) told me some early 400's and 800's would not work with the GTIA chip. Mine was ordered from California someplace and it is really old, must of been one of the first 400's off the line (it only came with 16k ram.

Not sure why this would happen, unless there was an issue with the motherboard or Antic chip. Probably would work if a a new Antic chip was ordered with it. Another possible reason was an PAL version got sent to you by accident. Then again it is so long ago and doesn't matter now.

Looks like the Joytyper 400.

400upgrade2.jpg

That's an interesting replacement keyboard. It's set up differently than the regular 400 keyboard. It looks like some keys are missing, is that right? Are the function keys the white ones around the spaceboard?

Does this keyboard require soldering while attaching it? And maybe some info about the producer/price of it?

I had a B-Key myself back in the day. I don't know about the Cherry, but IIRC, it seems like the B-Key did not require soldering. The membrane 400 keyboard is attached via ribbon cable... unplug it and plug in the new one.

The second photo is what mine looks like: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3750..._platforms_.php

Man, what a funky looking replacement keyboard! I've never seen anything like it. Is the case made of wood? It kinds looks like woodgrain. I'm guessing the little red pushbuttons are the function keys? It's so thick/tall! It looks like someone set a keyboard over top of the membrane one. I wonder if it made typing more difficult.

Interesting stuff!

Cheers,

Smeg