IGNORED

List Your Top 5 Worst Atari 2600 Games

scorpion

Congrats on your return to Atari! :)

I could just give you my list but the problem is everyones taste is different i would try any game at least once just to see if I like it or not, but with that said here are my current top 5 worst and best!

Worst:

Kaboom

Space Cavern

Karate

Football

Spider Man

Best:

Eggomania

Keystone Kapers

River Raid

Adventure

Haunted House

See, that's the problem with going by any lists like this... Kaboom and Yars' Revenge have already been listed as among some people's worst, and I'm sure they have their reasons. However, I'm sure the majority of people would never consider those games as among the worst. Many would put Kaboom in their top 10, and some would put Yars' in their top 10 or 20. I would probably have both in my Top 10.

Kaboom! stresses some people out. But if you ever found yourself in the zone you'll see why its awesome. There is no other experience on any system that matches playing Kaboom! on 2600 with paddles.

I don't have a worst 5 games list but here's the games I can remember not liking at all:

All the rated-X ones including Custer's Revenge and Beat'em. Gameplay sucks and I don't like the theme.

Pac-Man. Not only isn't it truly "Pac-Man" but it is repetitive and little fun to me. I like ET more.

Donkey Kong. With only 2 stages which only barely are recognizable from the arcade original, this game grows old in a few minutes. If only they'd put some nice music or sense of closure after level 2 or SOMETHING.

3D tic-tac-toe. (Self explanatory - what a snoozefest).

Edited by Cafeman

Amazing that E.T. has not made the worst lists yet...

Alot of people think ET is a bad but it is really a GOOD game.

Wp

I too think E.T. is a really "good" game. Great game actually, and am surprised to hear someone

likes Eggomania more so than Kaboom! My GF and I played both Christmas Eve. Had an all out

paddle fest as we played ALL of the paddle games we have. Eggomania is seriously flawed in its

collision detection, whereas Kaboom!s is spot on and typical of a high quality Activision game.

Eggomania is a scan line or two off when collecting the eggs and I don't know *what* is going on

with that tubby bird up above you're supposed to shoot. Seems you can shoot him again and again,

in the middle or on the sides and the VCS might randomly 'allow' one of your hits to accidentally count.

I think Eggomania sucks. Anyone need a copy with its manual? lol

Top worst 2600 games for me include most of the rare/extremely rare titles,

but if I had to only pick 5:

Ikari Warriors

James Bond 007

King Kong

Burgertime

Tax Avoiders

Edited by save2600

Amazing that E.T. has not made the worst lists yet...

Alot of people think ET is a bad but it is really a GOOD game.

Wp

I too think E.T. is a really "good" game. Great game actually, and am surprised to hear someone

likes Eggomania more so than Kaboom! My GF and I played both Christmas Eve. Had an all out

paddle fest as we played ALL of the paddle games we have. Eggomania is seriously flawed in its

collision detection, whereas Kaboom!s is spot on and typical of a high quality Activision game.

Eggomania is a scan line or two off when collecting the eggs and I don't know *what* is going on

with that tubby bird up above you're supposed to shoot. Seems you can shoot him again and again,

in the middle or on the sides and the VCS might randomly 'allow' one of your hits to accidentally count.

I think Eggomania sucks. Anyone need a copy with its manual? lol

The only reason i like Eggomania better than kaboom is the ability to get some payback, with Kaboom you just sit there and take it over and over kinda boring to me anyways.

I do agree with you on E.T. i like that game alot once you master the pits then the game is alot more enjoyable. :)

Planet Patrol (Poor Collision Detection)

Defender (Awful Port)

Wing War

Double Dragon

Carnival

Double Dragon... almost forgot about that one. What a shit port game play wise. Gotta say though that I admire the effort that went into it. Graphics and sounds are excellent for the 2600. Just needed some game play tweaking for a cart that could have been a "contenda".

I love Carnival though. Great translation. Might have been nice to have background music however. What didn't you like about it? For another "space invaders" type rip off, I thought that game mixed it up a little with the deduction in points and bullets if you accidentally 'twitched' the fire button at the wrong time.

Planet Patrol (Poor Collision Detection)

Defender (Awful Port)

Wing War

Double Dragon

Carnival

Double Dragon... almost forgot about that one. What a shit port game play wise. Gotta say though that I admire the effort that went into it. Graphics and sounds are excellent for the 2600. Just needed some game play tweaking for a cart that could have been a "contenda".

I love Carnival though. Great translation. Might have been nice to have background music however. What didn't you like about it? For another "space invaders" type rip off, I thought that game mixed it up a little with the deduction in points and bullets if you accidentally 'twitched' the fire button at the wrong time.

On my list Planet Patrol, Double Dragon, and Defender could have been good games with a bit of tweaking.

Carnival... I just thought was a bit easy and redundant. After a very short period of time it left me with no desire to keep playing it. I think I rolled the score counter in the first hour of playing it in the HSC:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...t&p=1464930

Posting the best and worse games is rather irrelevant.It can give you an idea.But everyone has different ideas and tastes for what make a game bad or good.I've heard lots say the games i like are bad,and vise versa.I say stay open minded and judge for yourself whats good or not,cus you'll miss out on alot of games you found to be great,that others told you were bad ;)