IGNORED

This guy's really got some guts...

link

He is sitting in a locked and barricaded room and developing his game for 100 days straight as protest to Nintendo for not letting him have the necessary tools to let him finish his game and get it published. He asked for the tools in february, and was told to wait 6-8 weeks for them to ship. They didn't.

He is the one, lone developer of this game, and he has been working on it for five years. It's a little bit like Animal Crossing, only less creepy and more realistic.

The game looks surprisingly good. He showed some of the unique characters in the game and there are a surprisng number. He also claims that the game is entirely hand-drawn sprites. When he showed the camera movement and smooth transition between rooms I was very impressed. The game is really polished. I do think it is a little ludicrous to spend most of your time in front of a computer for five years working on a game that you are not certain will be published. The last five years of my life were spent in front of a computer writing code but I got paid for most of that time. Anything I didn't get paid for would have been OSS such as my contributions to Odamex.

The guy's not too bright. I hope he doesn't think Nintendo is going to cave just because he's acting like an ass. (I heard he was broadcasting Nintendo executive emails.)
I always thought he seemed a bit over-melodramatic with his posts. :|

He hates the way Nintendo is treating him, but he doesn't want to hurt the company, Which I found slightly strange.

He also wants to get it on a Nintendo system so badly, that he is more than willing to forgo the alternatives (homebrew, Releasing it on iPhone and/or Android instead, etc.)

Even so, I hope his game gets published. Now that's one RPG I wouldn't mind playing. :)

PS: To the guy making this: Stop whining about how Nintendo doesn't care about you. Anger clouds reason.

The game looks good, but the developer sounds insane. Take a look at his post where he's talking about destroying Nintendo (with his awesomeness I guess) and then the one he posted the next day where he seemed bewildered that he'd ever post something like that...

Nuts.

Edited by Atariman

humility isn't his strong suit.

i hate that the Internet is a soapbox to all the turds who feel they are entitled to whatever. and if that's his mom conducting the "interview," then she's an enormous part of this kid's problem.

Edited by frank_c

humility isn't his strong suit.

i hate that the Internet is a soapbox to all the turds who feel they are entitled to whatever. and if that's his mom conducting the "interview," then she's an enormous part of this kid's problem.

Yes, that's one one of the drawbacks to a society as free as the WWW. :(

I dunno, I think the large companies might have a hand in this. The people in them might be afraid of losing their jobs if Nintendo allows a one-man game to be released. Then their employers might think, "Gee, why do we need 50 people to make one Nintendo DS game? Let's fire all but two!"

Just some crazy speculation... Why else would Nintendo deny it? Hmmm, maybe they're afraid he'll give out the CD to hackers or something? Dunno.

I can see where he's coming from, though. Nintendo has always been lacking in common sense. No thanks to Satoru Iwata and his brain clouded by pot (or whatever it is he's been smoking all this time.)

Bottom line though, I fully support Nintendo in only dealing with the types of companies described in their rules. They said they need to have a full staffed company that isn't based in their home, but in a seperate office. There are many other rules he breaks by asking to be a developer for Nintendo, but that alone kills his chances to be a dev for Nintendo.

If the guy really cared about being big, he'd have put his game on the net for free like that cave game on the Wii, then once he gained popularity, put it on WiiWare for a price.

It honestly sounds like he's just a spoiled brat who expected everything to be handed to him. He doesn't even have the drive to complete the protest he created. He's lived in his parent's home for 5 years apparently working on the game all day, almost every day. That means he has no real career or job, which means he has been living expense free with the excuse that he's making a game ALL BEFORE he ever had a publisher. I'm sorry, but I feel no pity for him here. Just because you make something and put time into it doesn't mean you have God's given right to have it accepted by a company. He acts like the world owes him for his work, when the reality is, if the kid had been living in the real world the last 5 years where he had to work in a career and pay bills in his own apartment, he'd know that isn't the case.

The kid is deranged, and his parents are worse for not telling him to get the hell out and make a life for himself. You have to work from the bottom up.. you can't expect to start your career by being the developer for a major video game without being the guy on the low rung of the ladder first.

It isn't just about getting the SDK, it's about Nintendo never doing what they said they would and should do.

He was specificly told he would be notified within a timeframe regarding the stastus, as to if he was approved or not along with some vague pre-progammed explanation for why.

They simply have been giving him the run around from day one, and there is no excuse for that. Let him apply, review the application like any other, approve or reject it for whatever reasons they have, notify him within the time frame they stated. Ya know, what they are SUPPOSED to do.

Bottom line though, I fully support Nintendo in only dealing with the types of companies described in their rules. They said they need to have a full staffed company that isn't based in their home, but in a seperate office. There are many other rules he breaks by asking to be a developer for Nintendo, but that alone kills his chances to be a dev for Nintendo.

Would you care to explain why please. What does that have to do with one's skill/abaility to produce a game?

Also, FYI, there is no requirments to have a full staff. Only location, and only for security reasons. And from what I read on the SDK application, that is the only term he is in violation of.

If the guy really cared about being big

I don't recall reading anything about him wanting to be big, he just wants to finish and sell his game.

he'd have put his game on the net for free like that cave game on the Wii, then once he gained popularity, put it on WiiWare for a price.

A whole bunch is wrong with this. The primary thing is that he is developing this for the DS for people with DS's, not Wii owners who want to stay at home playing on a virtual console or something. Second, AFAIA, downloads made to the DS are not permenent and are erased once the unit is turned off. Which means it needs to be on a cart to be portable and truely usable. Without official Nintendo support, this is a problem since they have to be encrypted. The only option then is the hacks to get the DS to run DS code from the GBA slot, which requires extra hardware besides a GBA flash/rom card to do. The final product towards this end would not be legally sellable.

Just because you make something and put time into it doesn't mean you have God's given right to have it accepted by a company.

He's not asking it to be accepted by the company either. He's expecting them to make good on their operating proceedures of completing his SDK application one way or another. Further, even if they did approve the SDK application, that just gives him the tools needed to finish. Has nothing to do with if the game itself would be approved by Nintendo for an official stamp.

he's making a game ALL BEFORE he ever had a publisher

Yeah, and? That's how it typically works. Gaming, Music, Books, Movies. Product comes first, then you try to find someone to publish it. You're going to be hard pressed to find a publisher that will commit when you don't even have a finished product yet. Even big names and big companies aren't guaranteed their publishing outlets. Only exception is if you as an established sell worthy entity has a binding contract with a publisher, and little people/up-starts don't get those.

Edited by Artlover

As I'm replying on an iPhone, I really don't want to go into all your points (most of which I think are silly) but hey, if you're saying if you were Nintendo and you'd hire an immature brat who locked himself in his room when he didn't get what he wanted, then that's your opinion.. but it doesn't fly very well in the real world bud. He should have at least done something with his life other than this DS game of his. It doesn't even have a second screen for crying out loud. Now what does he have? A really good demo to show in interviews. GREAT. Now if he'd only dress up and go to some interviews instead of crying in his parent's basement, he'd get somewhere in life really fast.

I'm sorry but I busted my ars to get where I am today. I've always put more than the effort "required" which is why I've accomplished everything that I've set my mind to. Never once did I lock myself in my room and cry and complain to a company that I was trying to get a job from. While I know he's not asking for a career with Nintendo, a dev system is practically the same type of achievement. He has not proved he's a working, breathing company. He only has himself on his "team" and it specifically says that you can't be the only one in your "company" in order to get a dev system. That and the needing an office not at home which I already stated.

Geez.. long iPhone post haha.

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I really don't want to go into all your points (most of which I think are silly)

Silly? Pointing out the questionable logic of things you said. If they are somehow silly, then explain.

Further, you still haven't addressed the issue that Nintendo hasn't honored normal business policy and notify him of the application status as per their own time frame. All they need to do is send an email saying "sorry but it was rejected because you fail to meet all of our requirements". They specifcly told him they would, and they didn't. End of story on that one.

but hey, if you're saying if you were Nintendo and you'd hire an immature brat who locked himself in his room when he didn't get what he wanted

Wow. Can you possibly distort the truth and what this situation is about any more then that? :ponder:

He only has himself on his "team" and it specifically says that you can't be the only one in your "company" in order to get a dev system.

No, it doesn't.

http://warioworld.com/apply/

The only thing is says is you need an business office location for security purposes.

That and the needing an office not at home which I already stated.

Still haven't answered my question explained why you believe that should realisticly matter beyond it's what Nintendo wants. Sure, it's a valid only because it exists as a condition of the application, but it's a stupid condition in and of itself that has nothing to do with game development. Security is bogus as a justification because there is infact no logical reason why a private office would be any less secure. Business offices can be hacked and broken into, not to mention have a higher flow of human traffic which would not be the case in a private setting. Don't have strangers comming into my home asking to use the bathroom and sneaking off to find my office like you would in a public setting.

Edited by Artlover