IGNORED

Internal ANTIC and GTIA schematics

JAC!

I bet the large block on the left is the charcode/bitmap data buffer.

It is. Note how much of the die surface it takes, something like a 4th or so.

Any idea what the total component count would be? Somewhere around 3-5,000 ?

I'd estimate a slightly higher number, but don't know for sure yet.

Cool picture, but I'd prefer schematics.

Hi fox. Yep, me too. That's the goal now.

I remember Bryan was curious about possible hidden messages or marks in the die. This is the only thing I could see so far:

post-6585-129000367795_thumb.png

I assume that DE are probably somebody's initials? Any ideas who he could be? Remember, this is the latter revision E (XL) die.

Edited by ijor

I remember Bryan was curious about possible hidden messages or marks in the die. This is the only thing I could see so far:

post-6585-129000367795_thumb.png

I assume that DE are probably somebody's initials? Any ideas who he could be? Remember, this is the latter revision E (XL) die.

Interesting. Now we need an early Antic to compare against!

• 3 years later...

about heating up..

I remember Garth Wilson (6502.org) talking about his former boss and design flaw in circiuit that leaded to thermal instability

problem was timing was verry difrent from nominal and whole thing didn't work too long

boards were already produced, and it was eiter trash whole production run to the dumpster, or provide quick fix.

So his boss took 7805 regulator, shorted its output to ground and glue it to the failing device

7805 has thermal shutdown protection that was kicking in every time the regulator heated up itself, thus providing stable temperature to failing circuit - it was stable enought to save the company from financial problems at cost of increased current feeded into the circuiit

this was some time ago, and can't find the orginal text i'm talking about, not sure for the names, but quite sure for the principle

I'm a few years late, but I just found this. I think you may be mixing up a couple of stories, one of mine with perhaps one of someone else's. The closest one of mine is that we were using a switching regulator IC, successfully at first, but perhaps a year into production on the PCB, Maxim increased the switching slew rate on the IC and it started making a lot of electrical noise that got into the aircraft radios. The solution was to manually scab on a couple of extra capacitors, one directly to IC pins on the bottom of the board, and another directly to pins on the top of the IC, as close to the body as possible, and with the absolute shortest lead length on the capacitors as possible. (This was 20 years ago, and thru-hole.) We also added capacitors in a couple of other places, and ferrite beads over three wires. That took care of the noise. Dr. Howard Johnson, industry guru of high-speed digital design, says he wishes manufacturers would guarantee a minimum rise time also, not just a maximum, for reasons like this.

As for a 7805, the only product we ever put one in had no heating issues of any kind, at any time.

http://WilsonMinesCo.com/

Lots of 6502 resources

Edited by GarthW

• 8 years later...

Better to show up 12 years later, than never...   I remember seeing that VZI.COM demo many years ago, and being happy that my machine would display it properly.  But I've noticed that today's emulators don't, and now that I've researched the subject and found this conversation (and several others), I can certainly understand emulator authors' not wanting to get embroiled in deliberately supporting out-of-spec behavior.  Instigated by heating the chips?   Yikes!  (* Makes sign of the cross while backing away in horror *)

17 minutes ago, kenames99 said:

so ijor, did you ever find a place to host the big files for this? it would be really nice to get a print made.

They are here:

I will probably merge this with FX ANTIC, probably post the whole stuff together at github.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still wondering and wishing the "AnticMosaicFull.png" could have that missing stripe filled in.  Wondering if AI could help for this?  Man - I never in a million years thought I would advocate a single use case of AI, for any reason!

• 4 months later...

I am absolutely amazed by the incredible work that has been done over the years towards reproducing these circuits.

In fact, today's tools could potentially leverage AI to assist in designing and reproducing these circuits.

I remember when I was the Chief Operating Officer of the largest Polish instant messaging platform Gadu-Gadu from 2003 to 2008, creating such a platform took years of development so that 1.5 million people could be online and chat with each other. Nowadays, setting up such a solution takes an evening or a few evenings, mainly utilizing a credit card and Amazon servers ;) Technology is progressing rapidly in such areas.

• Like 1