IGNORED

Tempest Xtreem Now Order Page from Video 61

Kjmann

Just for the record, one of the people trying to get an image of Tempest Extreem was me because i wanted to give it some publicity with reviews on Oldschool Gaming and in Retro Gamer...

I Wasn't talking about you specifically TMR. =) I would send you a cart if we could afford it.

I do appreciate your willingness to do a review of our game. but we are not doing this for anyone, reviewers or otherwise. please know that this was not personal and I have the upmost respect for your work and reputation. =)

I have had some personal messages asking me if we would be releasing a free version of the game for EMU's because they didn't see the point to buying a game for that old of a system.

(Some People...) lol

The DEMO does cover all difficulty levels in a four level demo. the BLUE, RED, YELLOW, and WHITE levels to show what the different difficulties Are like and to show off some of the harder WEBs. =) however the Pulsars and crazy flippers are missing from the demo. This is an intensive to buy the full version.

for all of you having difficulty with downloading the game from my previous posted links: you can go here, click on the tempest page and scroll down to the download link for the game Demo (in XEX Format).

The Demo also Works on Real Hardware.

Sorry about the other link. I'm not sure why it doesn't work.

Edited by kjmann

I Wasn't talking about you specifically TMR. =) I would send you a cart if we could afford it.

i've always been asking for a binary, i don't have a working A8 at the moment for a cartridge, my 800XL doesn't have a PSU... well it does, but both are about 250 miles away and i'm not sure which boxes they're in.

For review purposes, a cartridge image might be appropriate.

It would mean "emulator only" and it could easily be made to not run on real machines if someone happened to put it on a cart, thanks to the "detectable deficiencies" of todays Atari emulators.

Alternatively, you could just hold off until production carts are available - it's kinda not worth getting publicity and hype going if the cartridge isn't available to buy for readers when it's fresh in their minds still.

I have been asked by several people about getting the game for free and emails getting through to video 61. so I will address those issues here.

1. If you want an email to get through to video 61 (lance) you have to make sure the word "Atari" is in the subject line.

2. Free copies of the game. This is NOT going to happen. if you want to play this game then you will have to buy it. we will NOT give out copies of the BIN file for you to play nor will we send you a cart for free. if you want to try the game there is a demo of it with 4 levels to try here:

http://www.freewebs.com/kjmannmusic/tempest/tempdemo.zip

if you are a person wanting to write a review of the game then you will also have to purchase the game. we can not afford to give you a copy of the game for free. I'm sorry but making these carts is an expensive process. even the play testers did not get final versions of the game in BIN format to try. this is nothing personal it just wasn't necessary.

Hope this clears some things up folks and we hope you like the game. =)

Not sure why anyone would expect to get this great item for free... Just boggles the mind :roll:

Edited by atarian63

Game features include:

1: Stereo Pokey Support. (4 channel music will play 2 voices in each speaker when Dual Pokey is Available )

2: 64K System or better required standard XL OS Supported (should work on most XL/XE Compatable OS's).

3: Game Comes as a 128K Atari SuperCart in a Plastic Clam Shell Case (Sega Genesis Style) with Full Color box Art and Full Color Cartridge Label. 4 Page instruction manual also included.

I pre-ordered one Tempest copy cause demo looks and play very nice. I like dificult games. Good job! And I'm cartridge collector so I must have all cartridges :)

I think only your distribution system is... a bit chaotic ;) But I believe everything will be good. Video61 has a big experience.

I'm wonder did You concern about "Tempest" title copytrights? I suppose Atari still have the copyrights (since 1981). Did You try to talk with them?

I ask because I tried several times to send the questions about game's copyrights to big companies (games publishers). I never got a response :/

I've tried emailing Video61 from 5 different email addresses now, and all of the messages have bounced.

I've had email chats with Lance in the past, but that was a long time ago.

It seems that I don't have any way of buying this cartridge for now.

I too had the same problem.

I have solved using an Hotmail account.

I've tried emailing Video61 from 5 different email addresses now, and all of the messages have bounced.

I've had email chats with Lance in the past, but that was a long time ago.

It seems that I don't have any way of buying this cartridge for now.

I too had the same problem.

I have solved using an Hotmail account.

Lance is not sure what the trouble with the email is, So he has asked me to filter emails to him from those of you that are not getting though and he will send you an email back to your address to see if it gets through. if it does then that should solve the problem. if not. then we will check on some other way to solve this problem.

My email is kjmann12@yahoo.com

Email me and I will forward it to lance immediately. =)

Edited by kjmann

2. Free copies of the game. This is NOT going to happen. if you want to play this game then you will have to buy it. we will NOT give out copies of the BIN file for you to play nor will we send you a cart for free. if you want to try the game there is a demo of it with 4 levels to try here:

http://www.freewebs.com/kjmannmusic/tempest/tempdemo.zip

if you are a person wanting to write a review of the game then you will also have to purchase the game. we can not afford to give you a copy of the game for free. I'm sorry but making these carts is an expensive process. even the play testers did not get final versions of the game in BIN format to try. this is nothing personal it just wasn't necessary.

Hope this clears some things up folks and we hope you like the game. =)

I assume also that it is not necessary to advertise this release to more casual 'retro' gamers, and just to the Atari community? That makes sense to me, as you seem to want as many people as possible to see the work and skill that has gone into this production.

Regards,

Shaun.

Not sure why anyone would expect to get this great item for free... Just boggles the mind :roll:

From my own point of view, I write a weekly retro column for a professionally printed computer magazine called Micro Mart, available from all good newsagents here in the UK (plug plug...!). I concentrate my efforts on covering new developments on old machines, like new games and the occasional hardware hack, mod and other bits and pieces of hardware.

As this is 'general' retro, rather than only concentrating on a specific format (like the C64, for instance, which would be a whole lot easier), I cover a lot of different machines, some of which I either don't own, or I do own but don't have the space for. I know you're probably thinking 'Atari and Commodore', but I've covered formats as diverse as the ZX81, Texas TI99/4a, Amstrad CPC, Dragon 32, CBM/PET, Sinclair QL and Oric/Atmos, as well as the more popular machines. So, I rely on emulation a lot of the time. It also makes it a whole lot easier for screen grabs and so on, so even if I had the hardware to play the cartridge on, I would still require something that would run in an emulator as well to get the screen shots (some screens from the web aren't good enough quality for a printed magazine, so it's easier and quicker the grab my own).

As for wanting it for free, well I'm not paid enough to buy everything, and as there is publicity from my news and reviews which should benefit the projects that I write about, it's not like giving away a cartridge image for review will lose a sale; indeed, it might even pay for itself.

Regards,

Shaun.

I have problem with buy cartridge from sales61. My e-mail returned with spam adnotation... :( Why? Anyone have that same problem?

Yes lots. See further up the thread for info from kjmann :

Lance is not sure what the trouble with the email is, So he has asked me to filter emails to him from those of you that are not getting though and he will send you an email back to your address to see if it gets through. if it does then that should solve the problem. if not. then we will check on some other way to solve this problem.

My email is kjmann12@yahoo.com

Lance told me that so long as you put Atari in the subject it should get through but I understand some folks are still getting bounced.

From my own point of view, I write a weekly retro column for a professionally printed computer magazine called Micro Mart, available from all good newsagents here in the UK (plug plug...!). I concentrate my efforts on covering new developments on old machines, like new games and the occasional hardware hack, mod and other bits and pieces of hardware.

As this is 'general' retro, rather than only concentrating on a specific format (like the C64, for instance, which would be a whole lot easier), I cover a lot of different machines, some of which I either don't own, or I do own but don't have the space for. I know you're probably thinking 'Atari and Commodore', but I've covered formats as diverse as the ZX81, Texas TI99/4a, Amstrad CPC, Dragon 32, CBM/PET, Sinclair QL and Oric/Atmos, as well as the more popular machines. So, I rely on emulation a lot of the time. It also makes it a whole lot easier for screen grabs and so on, so even if I had the hardware to play the cartridge on, I would still require something that would run in an emulator as well to get the screen shots (some screens from the web aren't good enough quality for a printed magazine, so it's easier and quicker the grab my own).

As for wanting it for free, well I'm not paid enough to buy everything, and as there is publicity from my news and reviews which should benefit the projects that I write about, it's not like giving away a cartridge image for review will lose a sale; indeed, it might even pay for itself.

Regards,

Shaun.

Sounds good but if I were the Dev I would just send you a cart, too great a risk to send a file.

Sounds good but if I were the Dev I would just send you a cart, too great a risk to send a file.

So, you could have me sign a legally binding NDA? But this isn't Sony, MicroSoft or Nintendo, is it? What would really honestly be the risk? Not that I give out any files to anyone anyway unless I have permission to. And then they only go to other people to review the product anyway, like TMR who writes for Retro Gamer.

Regards,

Shaun.

Sikor - see above and send an email to kjmann.

Anyone doing a review - download the demo. You get the screenshots and 4 levels. What else do you need for a review???

I don't have as much problem reviewing the demo as TMR does (he actually has morals and stuff), but I would automatically down-mark the overall score to protect myself as I wouldn't have played the full game yet. Also, what code is the demo from? An earlier release candidate? I wouldn't know that either.

Best not to review and protect myself as reviewing 'demos' and earlier release candidates has gotten me into trouble in the past. But of course, there's always the dreaded dead-line so sometimes it's a case of I need to fill a page ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.

• Like 1

I don't want to drag this on for much longer, but here's something I noticed from the Atlantis Games Group website (with reference to their Outrun project):

"Due to the mismanagment of Atari back in the 80's several of the best games ever made

missed comming out on the Atari 8-bit line of computers.

So We're here to set things right."

Now I assume from that statement, Atlantis Games Group are implying that Atari had many faillings, like not being able to court the press (a good sign of a bad company is bad marketting in my opinion - some of the garbage posted on GamesPress proves this). Is it not be a mistake to ignore the requests of journalists who are genuinely interested in your product? I think so.

Imagine these two scenarios:

(1) Tempest Xtreem gets a full page in Micro Mart and half or full page in Retro Gamer, with nice spanking screen shots. Press coverage of a new Atari game in 2009 - three decades after the original Atari 8-bit prototypes!

(2) Tempest Xtreem might have a paragraph in Micro Mart simply mentioning that it has been released and little or no press coverage in Retro Gamer.

I know which of the two above I'd rather see.

Okay, so both magazines are UK-based, but I'm happy for scans of my reviews to be included on websites such as this as long as the magazine is no longer on the shelves. And as I write for a weekly publication, people won't be waiting long to be able to see the reviews for themselves if they missed or were unable to buy Micro Mart. See www.psytronik.com (go to the bottom of the page) for instance.

As long as people still buy and read magazines and newspapers, printed matter will continue to have a hold over people's opinions.

Okay, rant over.

Regards,

Shaun.

Well, thanks for forwarding my email. Lance replied quickly too.

I still can't send him an email, though. It bounces back marked as a "spam source". Again, I've tried with multiple email accounts.

I would like to get this cartridge when it's available, but it's proving to be very difficult.