IGNORED

Do-It-Yourself Eprom Programmer

Kirmo

Nice. It appears that the ATMEGA644 comes in a DIP package which would make the project DIY friendly.

Just a random thought: With battery backed RAM or EEPROM (and maybe a couple of other chips to connect/disconnect/protect the bus), this has the makings of a game development tool that can easily be reloaded with new code.

This reminds me, a friend of mine just acquired, as part of an auction, a bunch of what I believe to be germicidal lamps which should work well for DIY EPROM erasers. I'll have to get one from him next time I'm at his shop.

@ Carpenter : tomorrow I'll comeback to my home and I'll send you the files.

@ BigO : yes, ATMEGA644 comes in a DIP package , so it is very easy to assemble the board ; Farnell In One or R.S. have this device ready to ship. Concerning battery backed SRAM, could be easely implemented its programming with a minor modification of the hardware and software. A "To-Do" implementations ?...

Not always germicidal lamps are able to erase the eprom device, depends by wavelenght of the radiation emitted by lamp; but usually works .

Mirko

@ Carpenter : tomorrow I'll comeback to my home and I'll send you the files.

@ BigO : yes, ATMEGA644 comes in a DIP package , so it is very easy to assemble the board ; Farnell In One or R.S. have this device ready to ship. Concerning battery backed SRAM, could be easely implemented its programming with a minor modification of the hardware and software. A "To-Do" implementations ?...

Not always germicidal lamps are able to erase the eprom device, depends by wavelenght of the radiation emitted by lamp; but usually works .

Mirko

I'll have to get one and look up the wavelength and such to see if they're worth messing with. I have a suspicion that they might be fairly high output since they came from retired automated mail sorting equipment.

Not always germicidal lamps are able to erase the eprom device, depends by wavelenght of the radiation emitted by lamp

To that end, you'll find pretty much all germicidal bulbs operate in the 254nm (253.7 to be exact) range since that is the wavelength that bacteria is most effected by.

Now, there differences in quality. Some germicidal bulbs are dirty and waste output by also producing spikes of UV across other wavelengths in the UV spectrum, so there is less energy being emited in the 254nm range, so it will make erase times longer (much the same as a weak/old bulb).

There are other bulbs in the UV-C class, but they aren't germicidal. Such as 180nm oxidation/ozone bulbs and wide spectrum 200-300nm medium pressure bulbs. I think this fact is what causes problems, because I've seen many cases, even by bulb stores, where they freely interchange UVC & germicidal as if they are the same thing when they aren't.

Not always germicidal lamps are able to erase the eprom device, depends by wavelenght of the radiation emitted by lamp

To that end, you'll find pretty much all germicidal bulbs operate in the 254nm (253.7 to be exact) range since that is the wavelength that bacteria is most effected by.

Now, there differences in quality. Some germicidal bulbs are dirty and waste output by also producing spikes of UV across other wavelengths in the UV spectrum, so there is less energy being emited in the 254nm range, so it will make erase times longer (much the same as a weak/old bulb).

There are other bulbs in the UV-C class, but they aren't germicidal. Such as 180nm oxidation/ozone bulbs and wide spectrum 200-300nm medium pressure bulbs. I think this fact is what causes problems, because I've seen many cases, even by bulb stores, where they freely interchange UVC & germicidal as if they are the same thing when they aren't.

Nice explanation. I'm building an EPROM eraser from scratch. Ok, its cheaper to buy one from HK but I'm having fun while building it. It sports an Atmel AT89S52 to control DSperform the timer and to control the LCD. I would like to close the loop with some sort of UV sensor. If someone knows something about UV sensing, please PM me! When I finish it I will open its sources and schematics.