IGNORED

Skunkboard rev 2

Tursi

Cool! This is a really GREAT! product man. :) There are more Jaguar fans than I thought there were - their coming out of the woodwork for this item! :P -(j/k not trying to infer that anyone is a roach) I'm happy that Jaguar development is receiving renewed attention and is being made easier to physically accomplish. I think the coolest thing about this is, with this nice piece of developer hardware in many people's hands, is the chances of new Jaguar software being released goes waay up! - That's the best part I feel and most likely the ultimate goal of the Skunk, I'm sure.

Tursi & Kskunk RAWK! :cool:

I'm happy that Jaguar development is receiving renewed attention and is being made easier to physically accomplish. I think the coolest thing about this is, with this nice piece of developer hardware in many people's hands, is the chances of new Jaguar software being released goes waay up! - That's the best part I feel and most likely the ultimate goal of the Skunk, I'm sure.

This kind of hardware, available for everyone is very important. As I do not plan to deal with production issues for my games, I want to keep the freeware status, like my releases on Lynx. So Skunkboard, JagCF and other flash-like enabled devices are great news for me. People will just have to download my games, test them and keep them if they like them or delete & forget them in the other case...

Also, for developpers, this will ease beta-testing. For example, right now, I have some friends that would agree to help me via very early testing, but they cannot because they do not have or want to deal with a BJL setup. So they just can give a try on emulator, or during conventions, which is not good enough.

Fair warning, about half the run is already reserved.

Just put in my reservation :D, I'm number 45, this is going damn quick - I hope there's at least one board left for me...at this late hour of 11 hours after this thread was created. :ponder:

Don't worry about not getting a board. As long as you reserve in the next few days you should be okay. A lot of people would like more than 1, and we want to help them. But, there is room for more reservations even if we have to take one from that guy who wants 8. ;)

Do let your friends know about this post if they don't already though. It would be a shame if some people missed out twice in a row. :(

- KS

Oh one thing that came to my mind. How will it work with 8 MB? will that be bankswitching and will be code be available for that?

Also on a more technical and maybe inspiring question... Do you think it would be possible for the jag to have 6MB or even 8MB Bankswitching carts?

So in theory one could write a game to use the full 8MB of the skunkboard for one game and release it on cart?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to put pressure on anybody. Just asking did this idea occur to anybody yet and would it technically be possible or practical?

Or would production costs be too big to release a game that way if the board design was there?

Just dreaming a bit ;)

Edited by Starcat

Tursi & kskunk, just wanted to say this here again.

Thanks a lot for your amazing work!!

I have been waiting for something like this for many years now. I believe your efforts will really boost jaguar development another step and help many people getting started or progress faster using todays hardware.

Amazing work! :)

Do you think it would be possible for the jag to have 6MB or even 8MB Bankswitching carts?

So in theory one could write a game to use the full 8MB of the skunkboard for one game and release it on cart?

Yup. A 6 MB cartridge wouldn't need anything special, and you could make a 8 MB cartridge with a bit of bankswitching logic. I don't think it has been done before on the Jaguar (except maybe for Battlesphere Trio), but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Edited by Zerosquare

Oh one thing that came to my mind. How will it work with 8 MB? will that be bankswitching and will be code be available for that?

6MB just works with no bank switching. It was originally meant for developers who want to work on a debug build that is bigger than their eventual 4MB target. But maybe someone will release some bigger carts.

Tursi is still hammering out the final features and sample code for the new Skunkboards, so I'm not sure if we'll have an 8MB bankswitch mode or not. If there is a developer who thinks this is very useful now is a good time to make your case.

Also on a more technical and maybe inspiring question... Do you think it would be possible for the jag to have 6MB or even 8MB Bankswitching carts?

Zerosquare is right -- it's no big deal. You could add a 20 cent 74-series IC and get 1GB bank switching if you wanted. The Jaguar has some cart lines that are ready-made for bankswitching.

But it's probably better to just switch to NAND Flash or a USB stick or SD card or something. Big bank-switched ROMs don't make a lot of sense when most Jaguar games load everything serially into DRAM anyway.

- KS

CD support... now THAT is the part that sounds interesting. I'll need to read more on that.

There's nothing to read, the board didn't used to boot when plugged into the JagCD. KSkunk has solved this problem for the new run (and we will probably be able to backport the fix to the old boards). It does not do anything specific with the JagCD.

Just by curiosity,

What was the problem with the skunkboard and the jagCD ?

Is it a line conflict or something other ?

Just by curiosity,

What was the problem with the skunkboard and the jagCD ?

Is it a line conflict or something other ?

There were four different problems, and three were software.

One problem was that the encryption check was bypassed differently to save 4 seconds on boot-up -- standard headers, including the "Type AB" header, work fine. If you create your own bypass be aware there is a race condition in the JagCD's encryption check that is not present in the Jag boot ROM. It is possible to workaround this.

The next is that the Skunkboard boots with the logo turned off. (Special diagnostic mode.) JagCD does not respect this flag and instead leaves you running alongside a trashed VLM that will crash you before you get initialized.

Related to the second problem, the Skunkboard was copying itself into RAM under <$4000, to let BJL images use the full upper RAM. Unfortunately the JagCD BIOS has live data and code all over down there, and if you step on the wrong location things go bad.

The final hardware problem has to do with decoding a more limited address range above 12MB to keep out of the way of the JagCD ASIC.

Undocumented hardware is fun. :D

- KS

Well, I was just dreaming ahead if you want to call it that way. With 8MB on the skunkboard it would be amazing if it could be used to develop 8MB games and release them as regular carts even for those who don't have a skunkboard. Given the demand now, it would take long to get a skunkboard to the whole jag community I think. So creating games that run only on the skunkboard reaches only very limited people, as it of course is with every new hardware.

So if you could maybe keep this possibility open for the future or allow a software update to make this possible at some point, it would be amazing.

I'm also thinking if a bankswitching cart was to be made, it could maybe use cheaper rom chips to make new cart releases cheaper.

Again just dreaming aloud. I am not a hardware developer, so I really don't know how realistic that is.

Okay folks... back to topic ;)

Oh, we just figured you was stocking up as usual. I'm sure nobody would care if it was you, I'd figure you would be using these at Jag functions like all the Jag's you have been collecting. :)

The Skunkboard will be represented at Jag functions i do for sure, it truly is an AWESOME device! Id buy up a shitload of these if i had the money right now, but times are hard, so stockpiling the Skunkboard will have to wait abit, maybe there will be a Skunkboard Revision #3 in the future. Probably after Tursi ports that Cool Herders game to the Jaguar ,hahahaha.... :P