IGNORED

XBAND docs/sources/diagrams found

rush6432

Not sure if any of you even remember the xband.......but ive gotten in touch with a programmer that worked on the project and he has agreed to help and

give out some files and info for the genesis version of the modem. Not sure if anyone is intrested in helping to get this work or to tinker with it and see if somthing can come of it but ive got the info and figured someone might want to help or work with it.

pm me if intrested. if not, dis-reguard this message.

Not sure if any of you even remember the xband.......but ive gotten in touch with a programmer that worked on the project and he has agreed to help and

give out some files and info for the genesis version of the modem. Not sure if anyone is intrested in helping to get this work or to tinker with it and see if somthing can come of it but ive got the info and figured someone might want to help or work with it.

Hmm, I worked at Catapult Entertainment too, what are you trying to do with the modem? Do some peer-to-peer hacking? The modem was only one half of the equation, as there was a large server-side architecture.

--Selgus

I always wanted an XBAND as a kid, but never got one. :-( I would be VERY interested in this project! It would be great if there were a way to use a PC as a broadband gateway, since I'd hate to rely on dial-up. Unlike 1994, I don't even have a landline these days..

I'm not sure if I'm in a position to offer financial or technical support for this project, but I'm certainly behind it. Keep us posted, if you need anything specific, let us know.

Hmm, I worked at Catapult Entertainment too, what are you trying to do with the modem? Do some peer-to-peer hacking? The modem was only one half of the equation, as there was a large server-side architecture.

--Selgus

i agree that the modem is only half, but from what ive gathered direct dialing of an opponent with the patch for the specific game can be done. you lose the stats feature and the news and email and such but you get the core modem to modem game, which is what really matters.

PM me and we can talk. It would be great if you would be willing to share some info.

I always wanted an XBAND as a kid, but never got one. :-( I would be VERY interested in this project! It would be great if there were a way to use a PC as a broadband gateway, since I'd hate to rely on dial-up. Unlike 1994, I don't even have a landline these days..

I'm not sure if I'm in a position to offer financial or technical support for this project, but I'm certainly behind it. Keep us posted, if you need anything specific, let us know.

Well ill admit im not one to program a bunch of 68k but i do understand it and can do modifications here and there and such as well as hardware being a strength for me. what i need are some people that can program 68k fluently, have the knowledge of the genesis hardware and programming as well as debugging. also more hardware guys cant hurt.

i agree that the modem is only half, but from what ive gathered direct dialing of an opponent with the patch for the specific game can be done. you lose the stats feature and the news and email and such but you get the core modem to modem game, which is what really matters.

It's been like 13 years since I programmed for the XBAND Modem, so I am probably a bit fuzzy on all the details currently. Basically there was the OS that was in flash on our dev cards, or in a masked ROM on the retail version, and the game patches that were downloaded and stored on the SRAM. The OS is what allowed the whole interface and connection to the Compuserve modem bank. It's what talked to the servers.

The game patches worked with the modem's FRED chip (I believe that was its name) and allowed us to vector a small number of addresses to the SRAM on the modem. This allowed us to "patch" ROM cartridges to modify the supported games. Patches would include sending data back and forth between the peers (32-bits every vertical blank), adding determinism, statistics and synch'ing consoles together.

We actually had two different types of synch methods: Synch-O-Tron, which allowed two games to run free, using the vertical blanks to speed slow down one of the consoles to keep them synched within a timing window. The other was to allow each vertical blank to do its thing, and then wait for the other machine to get to the same point, so they run in lock-step.

During development, we could hook two modems together via a null-modem, to do peer-to-peer games. You may be able to do something along those lines.

I do have to say the folks I worked with at Catapult on the XBAND Video Game Modem and Network, were the smartest people I ever had the pleasure of working with. They created such amazing hardware and software in such a short amount of time.

--Selgus

• Like 1

It's been like 13 years since I programmed for the XBAND Modem, so I am probably a bit fuzzy on all the details currently. Basically there was the OS that was in flash on our dev cards, or in a masked ROM on the retail version, and the game patches that were downloaded and stored on the SRAM. The OS is what allowed the whole interface and connection to the Compuserve modem bank. It's what talked to the servers.

The game patches worked with the modem's FRED chip (I believe that was its name) and allowed us to vector a small number of addresses to the SRAM on the modem. This allowed us to "patch" ROM cartridges to modify the supported games. Patches would include sending data back and forth between the peers (32-bits every vertical blank), adding determinism, statistics and synch'ing consoles together.

We actually had two different types of synch methods: Synch-O-Tron, which allowed two games to run free, using the vertical blanks to speed slow down one of the consoles to keep them synched within a timing window. The other was to allow each vertical blank to do its thing, and then wait for the other machine to get to the same point, so they run in lock-step.

During development, we could hook two modems together via a null-modem, to do peer-to-peer games. You may be able to do something along those lines.

I do have to say the folks I worked with at Catapult on the XBAND Video Game Modem and Network, were the smartest people I ever had the pleasure of working with. They created such amazing hardware and software in such a short amount of time.

--Selgus

from what ive aquired i have the schematics to build a cable out of a production genesis xband modem which will have a db25 connector and was used for debugging as well as loading files to the flashrom which replaced the production rom on the hardware. However, i do not have any of the compiled programs to send files to the modem and such. i figured there are programs out there that allow serial port to serial port over TCP/IP connection

theoretically the modem could recieve a patch and then do a peer to peer game over null modem cable which is connected to a pc running the serial connection over tcp/ip to another console.

Its an idea.. :)

im currently trying to re-create the "debug/flash" setup with the schematics i have and hopefully with the supply of more tools from a few previous employees hopefully. i just MIGHT be able to get somthing out of this. ive also got a few game patches (probably 4 or 5) not sure if they are the most current but im sure they work...

I am not into the programming gig right now since I fighting a war agianst my college however.

A. There is a program out there right now that is being used with the Dreamcast and other devices alike to fool the 56K line into thinking it is hooked to a server. Maybe you can fool the X-band it is connecting to the server and run it threw a Kalleria like interface on the computer.

B. I was recently registered with the official X-band forum ( which got knocked down by lack of moderating and constant spamming ). The website is the what the original X-band modem would log into. I was reading about the X-band and how they had to hack into the game to make it work.

I would search for the original owner of the forum on the subject of X-band since he used the original IP address the X-band logs into for his forum address.

Along with that, there was many features removed from the game. Like in Doom certain sounds was omited. I am just amazed to find out that Killer Insticts was a X-band game also.

There is a couple of articles on this

Of course while games was hacked. There was many features taken out of the games. What is kinda funny is how the Genesis version of SF2 ( which is the only version :D ) was the network version while the SNES game was the New Challengers series. It says alot about the power of the systems and where they belong.

Again on the topic of hacking SNES/Genesis games to make them X-band playable

The person who originally was on the team who previously worked in India hacking other games and porting them to lesser computer systems at the time. I forget his name. That person if any would be a great deal of help at all.

Also you would want consolidate programming languages that was popular around the GIF file era before GIF was propertorized.

Why I am intrested in this.

Anyways my meat in this is that I have this great idea for a MMORPG. It is pure concept right now and in the future if I am able to get the team. It is going to be a 3d format game but In terms of fame and fourtune it would be wonderful to have a MMORPG on the SNES that would be free of course.

I also would like to get use out of my X-band ( which 3volt is no longer alive and depends on the cart inserted ) on the SNES. I heard the reason for the conversion on the SNES was to allow netplay between the Genesis. However such ideas was kinda funny since all it would take is representation of code and not sprites.

Edited by Royalshin

I am not into the programming gig right now since I fighting a war agianst my college however.

A. There is a program out there right now that is being used with the Dreamcast and other devices alike to fool the 56K line into thinking it is hooked to a server. Maybe you can fool the X-band it is connecting to the server and run it threw a Kalleria like interface on the computer.

B. I was recently registered with the official X-band forum ( which got knocked down by lack of moderating and constant spamming ). The website is the what the original X-band modem would log into. I was reading about the X-band and how they had to hack into the game to make it work.

Again on the topic of hacking SNES/Genesis games to make them X-band playable

The person who originally was on the team who previously worked in India hacking other games and porting them to lesser computer systems at the time. I forget his name. That person if any would be a great deal of help at all.

Also you would want consolidate programming languages that was popular around the GIF file era before GIF was propertorized.

Why I am intrested in this.

Anyways my meat in this is that I have this great idea for a MMORPG. It is pure concept right now and in the future if I am able to get the team. It is going to be a 3d format game but In terms of fame and fourtune it would be wonderful to have a MMORPG on the SNES that would be free of course.

I also would like to get use out of my X-band ( which 3volt is no longer alive and depends on the cart inserted ) on the SNES. I heard the reason for the conversion on the SNES was to allow netplay between the Genesis. However such ideas was kinda funny since all it would take is representation of code and not sprites.

under no cercumstances are we re-writing the code to do gif or any re-writing of networking for the server. I hate to say it but lots of features will have to be ommited (xband news, xmail, few other things)

many people have a HUGE mis-conception as to how the service worked. it wasn't like dial up internet where you dial up and are connected permanently...

basically you inserted a cartridge that was supported on xband into the top of the modem and then fired it up.

once you had it running you selected you wanted to play a game and it would dial up to the server. the server would identify the game, download the patch to play it and then download the phone number of another player wanting to play that game as well that was in your area or nationwide (depending on the xband settings in the options menu)

the modem the disconnected, and directly dialed the othe players number. the number was never ever shown so you never knew who them modem was dialing. alternatively (however the server decided) it would either kick you back and dial that opponents number or it would kick you back and set you to wait for a call. there was never any internet involved at all. basically a nice system to get two opponents linked up via modem without users actually interacting.

also i think slight tweaking would allow direct dialing with the input of a phone number no problem. which eliminates the need for the server side. obviously you lose cool functions like news, xmail, tournament, rankings agains other players, but it retains the main purpose which is to play a certain game vs your buddy or opponent.

I think this will be much more feasible than trying to re-create the server. As i said before i do have a few patches that the xband modem used to insert its own routines to transfer info over the phone lines for the games. so an idea of maybe making the onboard chip contain all the patches would be best..

assuming we can get past any memory hurdles if there are any major ones. obviously a bigger chip could be installed to take advantage of this idea.

I am going to assume that you want to build your own version of the X-band from reading the above.

What is wrong with making a client that mimics the action of server ( fooling the X-band ) and thus allowing play over Kalleria like interface?

All these so called settings your talking about could be in program that interfaces with the X-band. Maybe there could be data storage of X-mail files, and other stuff including rankings.

However if your not making a X-band mimicer and just replicating functions of the X-band to build your device. Wouldn't you need somebody to build the actually unit?

I suggest posting this up in the colleges. I see alot of vendors, and people looking to start projects.

Edited by Royalshin

I am going to assume that you want to build your own version of the X-band from reading the above.

What is wrong with making a client that mimics the action of server ( fooling the X-band ) and thus allowing play over Kalleria like interface?

All these so called settings your talking about could be in program that interfaces with the X-band. Maybe there could be data storage of X-mail files, and other stuff including rankings.

However if your not making a X-band mimicer and just replicating functions of the X-band to build your device. Wouldn't you need somebody to build the actually unit?

I suggest posting this up in the colleges. I see alot of vendors, and people looking to start projects.

the server side software is lost from what ive been told. no one has the source or programs anymore...... so mimicing the server would be hard as a bulletin board type system would need to be setup with multiple phone lines. obviously id have to charge for the server to keep it running and i dont think anyone would want to pay for it..... obviously charging for that its not somthing the original owners would want... im sure there are legal issues here. The idea ive got to get it working is feasable and shouldn't require a whole ton of re-coding. if the whole thing works out id assume there would be a release of a new rom image on a chip that could be installed. this is of-course if the original developers approve of this.

Anyway..... i believe modifying the source code and re-compiling the rom image is the best way to go..... modifying for direct dialing of your opponent or waiting for your opponent to call is the best way.... so far ive got 4-5 game patches with source code.... im not sure what other patches are out there, but i believe more are probably floating around.

Anyway, does anyone know where i can get another xband modem for the genesis... im going to need another for testing purposes with the patches and debugger.. looking to buy one :) or maybe a retro gaming site that would stock these????

Edited by rush6432

Anyway, does anyone know where i can get another xband modem for the genesis... im going to need another for testing purposes with the patches and debugger.. looking to buy one :) or maybe a retro gaming site that would stock these????

Well I do still have these laying around on a shelf somewhere in my house... :)

post-21986-1231501904_thumb.jpg

--Selgus

--Selgus

Care to lend or sell them??? PM me and let me know.. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

--Selgus

Bump, anyone intrested in helping work on this project....???? made some head way with the snes version already.

pm if intrested...

I am very interested in the idea. Would it be possible to have the modem direct connect to a PC with a modem, which would then tunnel the connection through the internet to another player with the same setup? Like the Warp Pipe project?

Also does anyone have the patches anymore? Wouldn't those be needed to link the games? If the PC acted as the intermediary it could send the patch, then disconnect and pick up when the modem went to dial the opponent, and then establish the connection.

I only have a SNES version of Xband.

--Selgus

Bump, anyone intrested in helping work on this project....???? made some head way with the snes version already.

pm if intrested...

I am very interested in the idea. Would it be possible to have the modem direct connect to a PC with a modem, which would then tunnel the connection through the internet to another player with the same setup? Like the Warp Pipe project?

Also does anyone have the patches anymore? Wouldn't those be needed to link the games? If the PC acted as the intermediary it could send the patch, then disconnect and pick up when the modem went to dial the opponent, and then establish the connection.

I only have a SNES version of Xband.

Head over to saturnleague.com and check out the new xband2 project for the pc.

We're also working on getting the original hardware to work as well.

• 6 years later...

Hi i googled but no info about the expension slot on the richt side of the xband so i wonder.

1 If theres a extension slot on the exband,were was it used for???

2 could it be used to put expension modules to support more games by using patches???

If so that would be really interesting because imagine wolf3D ,mortal kombat 1,street fighter 2 & turbo online and many many more.

Eventrough it's already shut down,but still there might be sooo much potential into this device!!!