IGNORED

NES Zapper games? (please advise!)

Keepcase

Hi all, I have a NES and I stupidly bought 2 NES Zappers thinking I could play 2 player duck hunt...

I wanted to know if there were any 2 player zapper games out there?

I saw a post somewhere here that Chiller is a simultaneous 2 player zapper game? Is there any other game out there that uses 2 zappers?

And any suggestions regarding zapper games would be greatly appreciated :)

I have:

freedom force

gumshoe

gotcha!

operation wolf

duck hunt

Thanks for any help!

Hi all, I have a NES and I stupidly bought 2 NES Zappers thinking I could play 2 player duck hunt...

I wanted to know if there were any 2 player zapper games out there?

I saw a post somewhere here that Chiller is a simultaneous 2 player zapper game? Is there any other game out there that uses 2 zappers?

And any suggestions regarding zapper games would be greatly appreciated :)

I have:

freedom force

gumshoe

gotcha!

operation wolf

duck hunt

Thanks for any help!

I didn't know that Chiller is 2-player, that's really cool. I didn't even know that the zapper supported 2 player simultaneous play.

From your list I've played Gotcha, Operation Wolf and Duck Hunt, but not Freedom Force or Gumshoe. What do you think of the ones you own? I also own Mechanized Attack and Hogan's Alley.

Here are my thoughts on the ones I've played:

Operation Wolf: Great game, but MUCH better with the controller. I found it was almost impossible to get through the game using the zapper for some reason.

Gotcha! I bought this one probably 15 years ago and returned it within a week. This one got old really fast. I think that there was a distinct lack of challenge.

Duck Hunt: Everybody loves Duck Hunt. It's all about the hatred of the dog.

Mechanized Attack: This one I highly recommend. I think that this is the best light-gun game experience on the NES. I read that it's the spiritual successor to Operation Wolf. This game seems to be a pretty good port from the arcade game. This is worth picking up.

Hogan's Alley: This is a collection of mini games similar to Duck Hunt. These are pretty good overall, but nothing too special.

I've always wanted to check out Chiller since it's the only NES game that lets you blow off specific body parts :-p. It's not supposed to be that good though. I had a teacher who worked on that game actually (I went to Digipen for a while, which is basically Nintendo's school) and he was going on and on about how horrible it was and the only good thing it did was cause a bunch of controversy. It was pretty funny hearing him go on about it.

Edited by KIWASABI

I don't think it's possible for 2 player gameplay with the zapper, actually, due to the way it determines hit detection (flashing the screen for a moment and detecting if your gun is pointed at the target).

Adventures of Bayou Billy also had some stages where you could use the zapper.

Chiller is allright, nothing special. The arcade version is WAAAAY better.

I don't think it's possible for 2 player gameplay with the zapper, actually, due to the way it determines hit detection (flashing the screen for a moment and detecting if your gun is pointed at the target).

Unless the two controller ports are electrically different, it seems you could design a game that used the guns independently, either for two player, or even with one gun in each hand. It would just have to flash when either trigger was pressed...

You can control the duck with the second controller. The controller is in port two and it is in one duck mode.

I also think that, based on the way that the Zapper works, it might be possible to make a two Zapper game. I mean, the game knows where your are aiming if there is more than one target, so that shouldn't be a problem. It could also just use timing to determine which player to award points to. If player 2 pulled his trigger to make the flash, he gets the point.

I could see some problems though with all the flashing being irritating or noticable. And if it is a game with a lot of flashes or if the players press their triggers a lot, there could be some misfires or blanks where one player pulled his trigger but, because it was flashing for the other player, no points were awarded or they were awarded to the wrong player.

And no, I don't know of any 2 player simultaneous zapper games.

Were there any 2 player gun games for any console?

Looks like you guys missed...

Baby Boomer

Laser Invasion

The Lone Ranger

Shooting Range

Were there any 2 player gun games for any console?

Yes, as has alreasy been mentioned Chiller is 2 player light gun compatible.

And there are many 2 player gun games for other consoles. :cool:

some games that you can use a Zapper on..........are better off played with a controller

like Mechanized Attack, Operation Wolf, etc.

I disagree. I tried Operation Wolf. I thought it sucked with the controller. Or maybe I just sucked at playing it with the controller. The cross-hairs never moved fast enough or accurately enough for me. But then, if you played with the Zapper, didn't you still have to press a button on the controller to launch the grenades?

I used to play it a lot in the arcades. Loved those uzis.

some games that you can use a Zapper on..........are better off played with a controller

like Mechanized Attack, Operation Wolf, etc.

I disagree. I tried Operation Wolf. I thought it sucked with the controller. Or maybe I just sucked at playing it with the controller. The cross-hairs never moved fast enough or accurately enough for me. But then, if you played with the Zapper, didn't you still have to press a button on the controller to launch the grenades?

I used to play it a lot in the arcades. Loved those uzis.

I always thought it was better with the controller, but can't exactly remember why. Didn't you have to keep pulling the trigger rapidly instead of just holding down the trigger for rapid fire? Given the limits of the technology behind the zapper, I'm pretty positive that's the case. So because of this, it's a lot more effective to use the controller and just hold down the button to shoot. Using the gun A) Introduces a whole new level of ridiculous difficulty since you can't shoot as fast and B) It gives you carpal tunnel really fast (even when I was 7 this game hurt my hand too much to play it with the zapper).

-Adam

• 1 month later...
dont forget Wild Gunman!

What, you mean you gotta use your hands? That's like a baby's toy!

Griff: HEY GRAMPS!!! I told you 2 coats of wax on my car, not just 1!!! Great movie BTTF II

Anthony....

It's funny but you sound so much like Anthony Cumia.

• 1 year later...

I always thought it was better with the controller, but can't exactly remember why. Didn't you have to keep pulling the trigger rapidly instead of just holding down the trigger for rapid fire? Given the limits of the technology behind the zapper, I'm pretty positive that's the case. So because of this, it's a lot more effective to use the controller and just hold down the button to shoot. Using the gun A) Introduces a whole new level of ridiculous difficulty since you can't shoot as fast and B) It gives you carpal tunnel really fast (even when I was 7 this game hurt my hand too much to play it with the zapper).

-Adam

Yes, no rapid fire with the gun, and thanks to how the trigger works, a slower rate of fire on top of that. Having to use the controller and the gun as the same time for grenades makes it worse. I found Operation Wolf NES to be better with the controller since there's an option to adjust the cursor speed, it allows for rapid fire, and no extra controller is required for grenades.