IGNORED

The HARDEST games for the NES

eyg2181

What games for the NES can you think of that are extremely difficult?

i'll start with Back To The Future. this could be a fun game, but when you get to the cafe, the fun ends immediatly when you have to hit 50 people walking to the bar... the most i ever got was 9,

Yo! Noid comes to mind, but at least in this game you can get past the first few levels without too much trouble, also, i think its necessary to mention the Legend of Zelda, mostly because of the caves, and how overcrowded certain parts of the world are. also, Link, i cant figure this one out. Jaws is up there too, but it can be done with enough practice.

any thoughts?

recca (zankai, hard mode)

50 lives aren't enough

the shooter moves things on/off screen very quickly to make up for it's lowered object count.

though battletoads, mentioned before, is pretty hard (actually it's pretty easy until your speeder hits a wall over and over again)

so is batman return of the joker is also quite difficult (I can't beat it *with* a game genie)

and from what avgn says, silver surfer is damn hard on a scale above the rest.

Edited by Reaperman

Silver Surfer, hands DOWN. Nothing even comes close, seriously. I could at least get past the first couple of stages of Battletoads, but I've NEVER beaten a SINGLE stage of Surfer.

Battletoads is brutal, too, but mostly due to the stage where you ride the cycles.

X-Men was brutal as hell, too, but mostly due to how broken the game was.

Gauntlet is up there. I don't think it's actually possible to beat, but I could be wrong. I loved the game as a kid, but unfortunately it was just too hard. You had unlimited continues in the second one so you could get as far as you want, but for some reason I didn't like that one as much; I think it might have played slower. I did love the digitized voices though: "Blue wizard needs food badly" "Blue wizard is about to die".

Edited by KIWASABI

Mission Impossible

actually mission impossible's not too bad if you really take your time with the levels and plan things out before rushing in. (not saying I could even clear the first level these days though, since there was a fair bit of memorization that I've forgotten)

Edited by Reaperman

What a hateful game, this is. What sort of redeemable quality can japanese folks possibly see in this thing? It basically spits on the player, and rolls him through the mud. Perhaps a submissive person would enjoy this, or someone who enjoys ridiculous challenges. There's no reason to suffer through this crap, nothing but boredom, frustration, and the futile pride of conquering it.

If anything, it's an anti-game.

Battletoads is very difficult. The speeder/bike stage is crazy hard, but it doesn't get any easier afterwards. Though not as mind-numbingly frustrating.

Also agree with Ghosts 'n' Goblins and Castlevania.

This is a hard question, though - since on any console that has a large library of games there will always be one or two (or more) otherwise completely forgettable games that, due to crappy programming, are almost impossible.

A better question: What good or great NES game is hardest?

I like my choices very much :)

sorry, I didn't mean to come off like I was calling your game mission impossible easy. It's not--oh is it not. I used to frequently swear at that one as a kid, and I've tried going back to it as an adult and I'm rubbish at it. But it's 'impossibility' has recently been built up to artificial levels by 'emu generation' youtubers and what not with foul mouths and short attention spans. It's mostly just a misunderstood title because it can't be blown through. Initial learning curve is set *way* too high.

and even when I tried to go back to it, I realized I just don't have the patience.

Actually beating the first mission takes a serious adjustment in gameplay strategy--after mastering that, the learning curve for future levels is tamed considerably.

Edited by Reaperman

Is it just me, or were MOST NES (and SNES) games really hard? I haven't ever been able to finish any platform game of that era (even frickin' Super Mario) I pretty much stuck to Atari stuff and PC gaming during that era, as it seems all those Nintendo console platform games required superb reflexes, impeccable timing, and infinite patience. Thankfully, games from the 32/64-bit era and forward seemed to finally accept that not all gamers are in possession of superhuman skills.

Edited by sdamon