IGNORED

Adding a PBI to a 1200XL

Tempest

I'll take 4.

Why 4? Because that gives me 3 to destroy with my crappy soldering.

These are nice boards with solder-mask silkscreening. Much nicer than the XE XTNDR boards I made in 2006. You shouldnt have any problem assembling them.

Tips:

1.) use a CLEAN tip on your soldering iron. Your Iron should be an electronics grade soldering iron. (Not something made for soldering automotive radiators, industrial cabling, or copper pipes..)

2) use quality solder, not too thick. .020" 60/40 or 63/37 rosin core is best.

3) TECHNIQUE:

a) heat each joint (touch the iron to the PAD and the PIN at the same time) for a few seconds.

b) While keeping the iron on the pad/pin, feed the solder onto the pad. Pay attention and Don't feed too much! With .020" solder, about half an inch of solder is more than enough.

c) keep the iron on the pad/pin for an additonal few seconds ( this allows the solder to wick through the hole and bond to the pad & pin on both sides of the board.)

If you follow the above, you will not mess up this board.. Its not a hard board to assemble..

That said, buying extra boards is not a bad idea.. We are doing this at COST.... And just think about this.. The setup fee to make these is pretty high.. We are splitting the setup fee among alot of people so noone has to put up a bunch of cash. Once they are made and the order is finalized, to make any more costs ANOTHER setup fee.. So whoever has extras can pretty much sell them to future "1200XL upgraders" for a tidy profit.. The 1200XL is a pretty popular machine among collectors because its case & keyboard are so kewl.. So my advice is: Buy extras if you can.. You shouldnt have problems selling them off.

Yeah, we have over 30 "spoken for" now.

Im gonna start a new thread for ordering, and leave ordering open for several days in order to give everyone (who wants to) a chance to get in.

I get a 3.35in average over 36 machines...

Bob

It's 88 solder joints per board if you populate the cart connectors.. The PBI will work just fine without the cart connectors populated, and in that case, its only 28 solder joints.

The parts list goes something like this:

2 cart connectors

1 14pin SIP socket

1 74HC08

1 0.01uF ceramic cap.

1 2.7k (or close) 1/4watt resistor

1 2row x 5pin header (.100" spacing)

1 2row x 5pin cinch connector (.100" spacing)

1 piece of 20awg 10 conductor flat ribbon cable (20 inches should be more than enough)

Theres also test points for checking /EXTSEL and PHI2... You dont have to populate these, but If you do, they each take a single standard .030" square pin.

The hole marked "audio" is for the analog audio signal comming from the PBI device.. AFAIK, nothing has ever used this signal but you may find some use for it, so I included a thru-hole to connect to it..

I need accurate measurements for the depth of the 1200XL cart-slot

Obviously we dont want the "cart slot tongue" excessively longer than it needs to be.. So I need someone (or preferebly several people) to measure the depth of the 1200XL cart slot.

The dimension I am interested in is from the actual inner depth of the cart connector on the motherboard, all the way to the outside "fuselage" of the machine.

One way to measure this is to get a piece of card-stock (or stiff paper) that will insert all the way into the actual cart connector inside the machine, mark the outside edge of the machine on the card-stock, and then remove the card-stock and measure it.

All my 1200XLs have 130xe motherboards, so I am unable to take this measurement myself.. If someone could help me out, its real easy for me to adjust the length of the "tongue" in the PCB CAD software..

Bob

Thanks alot for all that research... That mustve taken alot of time.. I wish I wasnt broke, Id buy you a few boards as payment for that.. You've gotta be the only person in the world capable of personally collecting that kind of data on that scale.

I did put your name on the board (design credit for the PBI mod)..

So if I make the "tongue" portion of the board 3.6" long, we end up with 0.250" (1/4inch) clearance on average between the edge of the board, and the outside surface of the case.. That should allow room to fold the cable down and run it under the machine, in through a vent (or inconspicuously cut hole), or where ever it needs to go..

Bob

And here we have the only man on the planet who can take a statistically valid sample range for this project.

:)

Now I think I won't worry about measuring my 1200xl tonight :)

--Kurt

36 as in 36 1200XLs? I don't recall seeing your name on the 1200XL serial tracking thread :)

Do I need to be there? I have 30 or 40 empty shells and as many boards. Plus, maybe 30 whole machines. And, a few from people who want to test upgrades.

Not to forget 30 or 40 keyboards.

'n 10 pounds of screws...

So, a lot of them look like this:

post-14708-1232250634_thumb.jpg

They shouldn't count - no serial numbers.

Bob

Bob

And here we have the only man on the planet who can take a statistically valid sample range for this project.

:)

Now I think I won't worry about measuring my 1200xl tonight :)

--Kurt

36 as in 36 1200XLs? I don't recall seeing your name on the 1200XL serial tracking thread :)

• 14 years later...

anyone got one these they want put to use? I think there were other threads showing assembled with stand offs maybe plexi etc...

In any event I have a 1200XL that wants the PBI PCB and mod.

Edited by _The Doctor__