IGNORED

War based combat games........Bleh!

Raise your hand if your like me and just plain sick and tired of all these Fallout and Call of Duty type games. Every time i turn around, their releasing a new war game. I mean, don't get me wrong, we should have a couple of good ones for those out there that enjoy shooting other people in a simulator but come on. The PS3 and the 360 seem to be flooded with this junk. It all started with a handful of theses games on the PS2 and a bunch of them on the original Xbox. Crap like Halo and Rainbow Six. I'd rather see more Japan based games like anime and rpgs again like the old days with the turbografx, and genesis. Games like Valis, Y's, Exile, and Final Fantasy.

Sooo....basically you're saying you don't like shooters and you wish there were more Japanese RPGs?

That's a valid opinion, though not shared by a lot of people. And they are still releasing tons of JRPGs - try:

DS

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

PSP

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Star Ocean: First Departure

Wii

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Xbox360

Tales of Vesperia

The Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Final Fantasy XI

Enchanted Arms

Blue Dragon

Phantasy Star Universe

PS3

Valkyria Chronicles

Enchanted Arms

I'd rather see more Japan based games like anime and rpgs again like the old days with the turbografx, and genesis. Games like Valis, Y's, Exile, and Final Fantasy.

I can't wait for the next Fallout or Bioshock, or Splinter Cell.

If I never see a Japanese RPG again in my life or the next life for that matter, it will be too soon.

Sooo....basically you're saying you don't like shooters and you wish there were more Japanese RPGs?

That's a valid opinion, though not shared by a lot of people. And they are still releasing tons of JRPGs - try:

DS

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

PSP

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Star Ocean: First Departure

Wii

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors

Xbox360

Tales of Vesperia

The Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey

Final Fantasy XI

Enchanted Arms

Blue Dragon

Phantasy Star Universe

PS3

Valkyria Chronicles

Enchanted Arms

Yeah........oook. All systems i don't have to to lack of funds. That's great. Oh i like shooters alright as well as many other types of games but what I'm tired of seeing is war games with a bunch of guys running around in camouflage with nothing to do but shoot each other in the head. Pointless, boring and dumb. Wouldn't be such games if it weren't for fighting and war overseas. Pretty pathetic that we have to pretend we're killing and fighting when there is really this kinda stuff going on in the world. The people who play these games will never, never know what it's really like to be out in the field and know the suffering that many have went through. Look at World War I and II, Civil War, Vietnam, and Pearl Harbor. It's sick and pathetic to copy this in a game and pretend your living it. As for the Fallout series, just plain junk to me. This is my opinion and i don't expect 100 out of 100 people to agree with me but you can rest assured there are those that share my feelings. I just simply like the way games were before PS2 and XBOX.

Raise your hand if your like me and just plain sick and tired of all these Fallout and Call of Duty type games. Every time i turn around, their releasing a new war game. I mean, don't get me wrong, we should have a couple of good ones for those out there that enjoy shooting other people in a simulator but come on. The PS3 and the 360 seem to be flooded with this junk. It all started with a handful of theses games on the PS2 and a bunch of them on the original Xbox. Crap like Halo and Rainbow Six. I'd rather see more Japan based games like anime and rpgs again like the old days with the turbografx, and genesis. Games like Valis, Y's, Exile, and Final Fantasy.

I thought they were cool when Goldeneye came out for N64. And when the first two Medal of Honor games came out ...but I agree that now there are far too many ...even resident evil 5 looks like a freaking war game ...lame

If you want JRPGs, then buy a PS2 and buy away.

I currently have Ar Tonelico 2 on pre-order.

I got Eternal Poison not too long ago.

Before that, I got Chaos Wars.

Then there are a minimum of three "Tales" games, three Suikoden games, three Xenosaga games, three Growlanser games, three Atelier Iris games, two Grandia games, Magna Carta, Wizardry, Arc the Lad... and that's just off the top of my head.

That's not even touching the plethora of NIS games or Square titles.

And there's still more. I believe there's a list of all the RPGs released for the PS2 on Digital Press's Retrogaming Roundtable.

The Playstation eras were definitely the best times RPGs have ever seen and probably the best times the genre will ever have. It definitely isn't all FPSes unless that's all you look for.

Even the 360 is having some interesting developments in the RPG front. There's Enchanted Arms, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, and a few others. Oh, and it will get Final Fantasy XIII as well.

Yeah........oook. All systems i don't have to to lack of funds. That's great. Oh i like shooters alright as well as many other types of games but what I'm tired of seeing is war games with a bunch of guys running around in camouflage with nothing to do but shoot each other in the head. Pointless, boring and dumb. Wouldn't be such games if it weren't for fighting and war overseas. Pretty pathetic that we have to pretend we're killing and fighting when there is really this kinda stuff going on in the world. The people who play these games will never, never know what it's really like to be out in the field and know the suffering that many have went through. Look at World War I and II, Civil War, Vietnam, and Pearl Harbor. It's sick and pathetic to copy this in a game and pretend your living it. As for the Fallout series, just plain junk to me. This is my opinion and i don't expect 100 out of 100 people to agree with me but you can rest assured there are those that share my feelings. I just simply like the way games were before PS2 and XBOX.
So you'd rather play an fantasy RPG where you kill people with swords and magic.... :ponder:

So you'd rather play an fantasy RPG where you kill people with swords and magic.... :ponder:

No. Most rpgs have monsters, insects and other wierd things. Not actual people like us. I can't down other games or the people who play them. It's just not for me. I can't blame someone for liking a certain thing. I mean, look at the 5200. I've heard many say bad things about and i'm like, what the hell. But then again, everybody's different.

GabrielGood point. I 've owned the PS2 almost since it came out and yes there are many great rpgs. Some of which i haven't picked up yet but i eventually will.

So you hate those FPSs and love RPGs? Great for you, not thread-worthy but whatever. Buy a 360.

Wasn't what this is about. Just asking who else feels the same about them. As i said before if you didn't read the last post. I don't blame anyone for like fps games. I just don't see why we need so many. 360 has a few good games like that but not enough for me to go out and get one. Not yet anyway.

So you hate those FPSs and love RPGs? Great for you, not thread-worthy but whatever. Buy a 360.

Wasn't what this is about. Just asking who else feels the same about them. As i said before if you didn't read the last post. I don't blame anyone for like fps games. I just don't see why we need so many. 360 has a few good games like that but not enough for me to go out and get one. Not yet anyway.

There was a time when we were bombarded with platform games. The people wanted Mario clones where everything was in the same place every time they played and that's what they got.

My favorite genre is RPGs.

It's overly obvious in my posts and my Live achievements.

Can't say I understand your gripe though. There are a bunch of kick ass RPGs available this generation.

Some of the finest I've played...ever.

Gabriel V listed a bunch of kick-ass RPGs.

I'll add a few.

Oblivion

Mass Effect

Two Worlds (Yeah most people hate the game, I actually liked it in a B-movie kinda way. Sue me.)

Here's where it gets kinda strange. You don't have any of the new systems.

I can understand someone not liking FPSs but I can't understand the point of this thread.

So you don't like the new games being released.

I'd say...don't buy the FPSs and the war games, buy the RPGs but you can't buy any of them because you don't have the systems.

Which brings us back to. What exactly the hell are you talking about and why would you bother starting a thread aboot it?

You just wanted everyone here to know you don't like the war monger games you can't buy anyways and you don't know if you would like the other games that you do usually like because you don't own any of the new consoles to play the games on? Is that it?

:ponder:

Makes perfect sense. :dunce:

Agree entirely that there are too many FPS games. In particular, there are too many FPS WW 2 games (due to Americans still crowing about something their great grandfathers did years and years ago after entering a fight fresh in the twelfth round and scoring a knockout on a winded combatant thanks to other fighters softening him up, as if it were yesterday). I don't see a lot of World War 1 or War of 1812 games out there.

I wouldn't particularly care if more or less JRPGs were made, except insofar as those games are very frequently blue sky games.

It might be "Flooded", But only good ones are popular (COD4 and CODWAW, Halo 3, Stranglehold(Spelling?), Etc)

That don't make enough good ones FAST enough look at CODWAW using the COD4 engine. It's not as good.(Thank you activision for screwing over another COD game)

But I personally think Medal Of Honor should DIE.....Such a bad franchise.

I guess in a way, I'm also sick of the FPS genre. there's not a enough difference between them, IMO. Some have aliens, some have a wwii theme, or other little gimmick. But they're all kind of generic attacker/defender headshot simulators. I'm currently playing battlefield: bad company myself, because it's cheap and fairly new and I can't tell the difference between it and the expensive ones. They're all the damn same

but then so are sports titles, mini game compilations etc.

and before the current FPS kick, RTS games and asian RPG's were being beaten to death

before that 2d fighters, scrolling shooters, platformers, dungeon crawlers, space combat simulators, all those genres have been beaten to death in the past. now quite a few of those genres have become 'endangered species'

most of these FPS titles are just the bland mush du jour to pump to the masses. Don't make anything very far from what's been done before because that's risky. At least until the next good idea comes along that needs beaten to death. So I'm sorry people in this thread liked the last crop of bland mush more than the current batch. I miss my space combat simulator mush myself.

Edited by Reaperman

Agree entirely that there are too many FPS games. In particular, there are too many FPS WW 2 games (due to Americans still crowing about something their great grandfathers did years and years ago after entering a fight fresh in the twelfth round and scoring a knockout on a winded combatant thanks to other fighters softening him up, as if it were yesterday). I don't see a lot of World War 1 or War of 1812 games out there.

I wouldn't particularly care if more or less JRPGs were made, except insofar as those games are very frequently blue sky games.

Hey Hey Hey...I don't know one American who has ever gave a rat's ass about what their granddaddy did in WWII. No generalizing!

I could do without another Japan RPG. That style of art is just not my taste. Androgynous blue haired pie eyed "males" waxing about someone being kidnapped by some evil dragon/sorcerer/whatever has been played out. I enjoyed RPGs back in the NES/SNES/Genesis days, but by the time PS1 rolled around I was mostly done with them. To this day I don't understand the appeal of FF7 and beyond. I enjoyed the FF2 and 3 games for the SNES much more. The only RPG I play anymore is Everquest. Playing online with other people has more appeal to me than sitting alone and playing a conventional RPG.

I think most of the appeal of FPS games is that they can be played with other real people. Like the japan RPG's, FPS use the same basic formula for all the games, but being able to play online or splitscreen with others adds a huge replayablity to them. Storyline and setting is a relatively minor aspect of FPS games for the people who want to just kill their buddies. Interactivity with other humans can make up for massive shortcomings in areas like graphics and sound and gameplay depth. Look at Wii Sports. That collection of minigames is crap when played alone, but hand a buddy a controller and Bowling is a blast, despite graphics that would be lame by 2002 standards. A game like Warlords was fun to play with three buddies in 1980, and I suspect it will still be fun in 2080.