IGNORED

Civilization Revolution Play Report

Gabriel

I love Civilization Revolution.

Last game, I played with two friends. I played the Japanese. My friend Verm played the Aztecs, and my friend Ed played the Spanish. The AI took the roles of the Chinese and Germans. The map used was the free downloadable North American map.

I started out around Vancouver. It was a very good starting spot with lots of water squares for science and some nice forest nearby for my early industry. Verm got San Fransisco, another good spot. Ed drew the worst spot, somewhere around Chicago or Milwaukee. He didn't have any good industrial base and his science was limited by the tiny great lakes. The AI Chinese got set up in New Orleans, and the AI Germans started somewhere around Boston. The set up definitely favored me and Verm. Ed got the shaft with a landlocked country when playing a civilization with seagoing special abilities as well as two AI enemies who would naturally gravitate towards attacking him.

I started the game in the usual way, developing science and my opening defenses. I began exploring by land around my capital. Barbarians around me were plentiful and I got quite a bit of gold from attacking them with my exploration unit. Also, there were some nice relics around me. The most notable benefit I got early in the game was the discovery of the Seven Cities of Gold (which was up in the Yukon), which boosted my treasury at a crucial moment. I quickly found Verm south of me, but I didn't want to nor did I have the resources to attack him. At the conclusion of the early game, I had explored most of the northwestern map as well as wrapped around to the other side and investigated the area of Newfoundland to Boston. In terms of cities I had my capital, the new industrial city of Kyoto somewhere in eastern Oregon, and a city I stole from the Germans somewhere around Quebec.

Verm never seemed to explore north all game. He built a few cities in the Los Angeles and Las Vegas area. I saw his forces a few times in the mid-game. I figured he lagged slightly behind me in science. He complained during the mid-game of the Chinese dedicating forces to harrassing him, which prevented him from some improvement projects. I suppose it kept him from solififying his industrial base.

Ed was playing with a handicap which made units easier for him to produce, and he produced TONS of units. I encountered full armies which he was using for simple recon. At the tail end of the early game, he laid siege to Kyoto with 3 legion armies. I was forced to rush a catapult army to slaughter him and push him away from my gates. It turns out Ed was building lots of settlers as well, and was claiming a lot of Canada.

We didn't know it at the time, but the Germans were colonizing the entire US East coast and the Chinese had an interesting Gulf of Mexico empire stretching from Alabama to Albuquerque. Both had become extremely dangerous by the mid-game, and were ready to start what I call the Legion rush with huge numbers of Legion armies.

The mid-game was pretty calm for me. After Ed's failure to take Kyoto, my home powerbase in the northwest remained serene. My only defense problem was my new city in the area of Quebec (which I'll just call Quebec, because I don't remember the name of it). The Germans kept attacking it, trying to reclaim it, but my defending units were not going to allow that. I dug in and set out to endure.

What really defined the mid-game was how Ed came under simultaneous attack by the Germans and Chinese. They wanted him dead. Verm and I decided to do what we could to help out. By this point Verm had knights and I had samurai, so we dispatched several armies to the middle American war. I admit I could have sent more units, but I had my eye on a different prize. I was developing Tanks and getting Leonardo's Worshop ready to upgrade all my samurai to armored leviathans. Still, between my half-assedness and Verm's help, Ed survived the onslaught. But for a while, middle America was crawling with Legions, Archers, and the occasional knight and catapult.

Verm stalled out at this point. My development of a University catapulted me WAY ahead of him in science. I think he also dedicated a lot of energy to military building. He even had to change his government from Democracy to Despotism in order to help Ed and himself wage war on the Chinese. The prolonged period in the inferior government didn't help him any.

As with the transition from the early to mid-game, my view of the transition from mid-game to end-game was marked by a city siege. As I cranked Samurai out of Quebec, I found another German city around Ottowa. I attacked it and easily took it, only to lose it to the Germans again by way of cultural conquest. This was no big deal, but it pissed off the Germans who decided to destroy Quebec once and for all. This was my first really interesting set of military action in the game, as I sought to destroy my numerically superior attackers with my defensive deficient samurai troops. The St. Lawrence and New England ran red with blood of both German and Japanese. Eventually, I was cut down to three (now elite) Samurai armies, complete with General. I pulled these back behind Quebec. The city would have to survive a siege by the German horde.

What I was waiting for was Leonardo's Workshop. It was about to upgrade all my defending archers and pikemen to Musketeers and all my samurai to Tanks. I had to keep my two elite Samurai alive so they'd upgrade and be truly fearsome. That meant I had to keep them away from Quebec, safe in case the city fell. The Germans threw 4 Legions against Quebec, and ultimately, they failed. It was a close thing, though. If I hadn't so fiercely warred against Germany's catapults, I might have lost the town. Then Leonardo's Worshop came online. I said only one thing to my friends.

"Don't worry about the Germans, they'll be eliminated in 10 turns."

Later, someone said it only took me 5 or 6 turns. As my Samurai upgraded, my new Tank column steamrolled south. Berlin fell with trivial ease. Archers, even fortified, seldom do well against Tanks. In no time I was conquering the last German city (down at Miami). Even though I was still a Democracy (and would have to accept any peace offer), the Germans never sued for peace. They were either extremely valiant or had a death wish.

Ed got to see a lot of my military movements, and he was impressed with how quickly I developed swarms of Tank armies. Little did I know he had somehow developed fighter planes and was busy building a few key strike wings.

Verm gave up at this point. He pulled back what forces he had and asked to be my vassal.

In the meantime, I declared, "For my next trick, I shall destroy the Chinese civilization!" The capture of all the German cities had amazingly boosted my production and I now had more Tank armies than I knew what to do with. They rolled through the south blasting Chinese pikemen and archers. Within a couple of turns, the Chinese were destroyed. The game now belonged only to human players.

I probably would have quit at this point, but Ed decided to attack me by way of air power. This resulted in the full might of the Japanese army falling squarely on the head of the Spanish. Their capital of Madrid was the first city I took, then I sat back because I had a surprise.

Initially, I was going to roll a tank column into Verm's capital and take it the old fashioned way. Then I rolled up to it and saw just how mighty it's defense was. I'd probably have to throw several Tank armies at it to crack the nut. Bombers and Artillery weren't in supply yet, so I decided to eliminate Verm the stylish way. I started developing the Manhattan Project. I was going to nuke him.

Interestingly, when I did nuke him, it didn't leave a crater like I've seen before. In fact, his city was still there. It seems he lost all his defenders, his walls, and a good deal of population, but I still had to roll a tank unit into the blasted burg to claim it.

It took about 5 hours to play. Even though I slaughtered and nuked my friends, the most fun part was the mid-game where Verm and I rushed across America to Ed's aid. It felt really dramatic, and the sheer volume of units against us made it feel pleasingly desperate. It also marked the first time Ed had survived to the end of a game. He normally gets murdered by an AI enemy early on.

Gabriel,

This is one of my favorite games. (Not that I have a huge library, about 15 games) I never was real good at any of the original Civ games, but they were always great fun. Civ 1 was my favorite so it makes sense I would enjoy this as it has a simplified Tech tree. I am slowly working my way through all of the Achievements.

El

Is solo play any good or is it only worth it if I am playing online?

I don't see myself playing anything online for 5 hrs., so this would have to be great for solo play.

Heck yeah, single player is all I played of this. When the game was fresh everyone online picked the Zulu and did the Zulu rush thing, game over in 3 -5 rounds all the time, it wasn't fun.

I got 1000 cheeve points and put the game away, but I've recently bought some add-ons for it and one day I'll revisit this gem.

I don't see myself playing anything online for 5 hrs., so this would have to be great for solo play.

The game is primarily a single player game, and greatly enjoyable as such. The replay value is immense.

It's just one of those games which is also fun multiplayer (assuming it works, which is a companion/contrast rant to this one).

Red,

I enjoy it. I haven't played online yet. I haven't played above warlord yet though, but I think my longest game was 3.5 hours. My double digit IQ is hindering me :)

El

Diety difficulty hands me my ass every time I attempt it. Most times, I can't even get a warrior produced before the computer wipes me out. Assuming I do live that long, the AI on Diety rushes me, blockading all my production squares so I can't do anything. Basically, every civilization in the game decides to ally and destroy me immediately on that difficulty level.

totally worth it! When i play, it's always just one more turn! Next thing i know it's 2 or 3 hours later!

I haven't played online yet.. doesn't seem to be anyone on anymore. :(

-rick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I played the demo and have been tempted to get it ever since. Not like I have time. But does it have save during one player games? Someone asked that but it was never explicitly answered.

If I can save or play for a short time, I can't buy a game to play it. I have 30-90 minutes to game at most so a 3 hour game is not an option.

Yes, there's definitely a save feature for single player. There's just no save feature for the multiplayer games.

I played again last night and it took 3 hours (multiplayer). It would have been a tiny bit shorter, but I decided to go for the colonization of Alpha Centauri victory rather than just building the UN and getting it over with.

I think I should get this game. It's definitely family friendly. I had a really good time with the demo many months back. I'll wait to pick it up at the next 360 Gamestop B2G1 sale or 20% off sale (almost the same thing with the additional 10% off Edge card).

Are there good achievements for the game? That is, are they mostly attainable?

I think I should get this game. It's definitely family friendly. I had a really good time with the demo many months back. I'll wait to pick it up at the next 360 Gamestop B2G1 sale or 20% off sale (almost the same thing with the additional 10% off Edge card).

Are there good achievements for the game? That is, are they mostly attainable?

What I like about the cheevos for Civ Rev is that all of them are attained through the single player mode. Absolutely no online achievements. I have 1000/1000, so yeah they are definitely attainable to the casual player. The hardest one is defeating all 5 opponents by 1000 AD.

Unless it's your first game, it really should never take longer than 6 hours. Once I got the hang of things, it took me about 2.5-3 hours on average for a complete game.

When I play single player it takes about 4 hours tops.

Playing with my two friends takes about 4 to 5 hours on average. We play without move timers.

I found out that new players can be invited in the middle of a game. Plus, when disconnects happen (and they do) you can invite the player back.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this game on a whim......on a side note, I never really got into the original Civs.......and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

My past couple weeks have been used playing Halo Wars, Dead Rising, and Age of Booty constantly but I'm afraid this game is going to keep me occupied until Kingdom Come.

On an off-topic question: has anyone played Age of Booty? That game ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! It's probably in my top 5 XBLA ever now. It's so easy to play an so addictive. I get my ass whooped on multiplayer all the time, though, because everyone I play seems to be a pro and knows every detail of every map and how to go about dominating in it.

Still obsessing over Civ.

I've beaten the game using about half the civilizations......my favorite being the Aztecs for the obvious 'healing after combat' perk. Been playing on the King difficulty mostly. I'm having a hard enough time with it so I'm edgy about trying Deity.

My Civ gaming may come to a short halt since I'm getting RE5 and GH: Metallica soon.

On an off-topic question: has anyone played Age of Booty? That game ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! It's probably in my top 5 XBLA ever now. It's so easy to play an so addictive. I get my ass whooped on multiplayer all the time, though, because everyone I play seems to be a pro and knows every detail of every map and how to go about dominating in it.

Yeah. I've played it. I finished the one player mode. Neat game. I wish you could directly control more ships, though.