IGNORED

Lemmings For DOS (There Is No Sound) HELP!

Hello. I just recently installed the DOS version of Lemmings on my PC. There is supposed to be sound, but I do not hear any. Why? Am I missing a sound card plugin or something? Does Windows XP run sound in DOS applications? Please help. And yes I have ALL volumes up.

Edited by Bowser N64

Your not alone.

Lemmings basically a DOS program will either use the built in speaker ( the one that makes the telephone noise when you use AOL ) or your PC sound card. Basically all, if not most DOS programs uses AWE Sound Blaster card, and speaker setups ( somebody please expand on this ). There is a varity of simular cards and Lemmings ( if I remember ) should have built in settings for this. Meaning you could program lemmings to use special settings for your sound card also.

In short you can never run lemmings on a XP machine that is not properly setup with it's sound card. You can never hear the sound if the built in DOS emulator does not know what sound card you are using.

So here is a long shot. Maybe you can get sound but since it is built on NT/ME/2000 technology the sound will dissapear after awhile. This is what occured with my ME machine and when I was using a computer that had differnt DMA settings then the one

that DOS was specified for.

Okay here it is from the get go. Windows XP and it's command is not DOS. It only mimics DOS. Remember 98 is built on DOS so various if not all DOS games will run on 98.

I suggesting searching the MSFN forums for help also. They are the place to go for PC problems with DOS sound in XP.

I am lucky to have a dedicated DOS machine on the side in case I want to mess around with DOS games.

Edited by Royalshin

DOSBox is probably the best bet, and you might find that D-Fend Reloaded - http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/ - makes things a lot easier in combination with DOSBox.

The other thing you could try is VDM Sound - http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/ - which provides a way of many older DOS based games to get sound working under 2K/XP/Vista.

• 5 months later...
Hello. I just recently installed the DOS version of Lemmings on my PC. There is supposed to be sound, but I do not hear any. Why? Am I missing a sound card plugin or something? Does Windows XP run sound in DOS applications? Please help. And yes I have ALL volumes up.

OK surprised nobody told you this but just get the Windows 95 version of Lemmings 1. Sound will work, and you won't need to use crappy DOSBox ;)

I got the Win95 copy of Lemmings to play on my Tablet PC and it's a great game for Tablet PCs

I love lemmings, but for the same reason I never play mine (it's OK, but the music was what pulled you into it, I could listen to it for hours (and drovve people crazy in the process :lol ) )

If I ever get around to getting Dosbox set up, this is definalty one of the games I have that will be most played :D

• 11 years later...
On 1/14/2009 at 3:58 PM, Royalshin said:

Your not alone.

Lemmings basically a DOS program will either use the built in speaker ( the one that makes the telephone noise when you use AOL ) or your PC sound card. Basically all, if not most DOS programs uses AWE Sound Blaster card, and speaker setups ( somebody please expand on this ). There is a varity of simular cards and Lemmings ( if I remember ) should have built in settings for this. Meaning you could program lemmings to use special settings for your sound card also.

In short you can never run lemmings on a XP machine that is not properly setup with it's sound card. You can never hear the sound if the built in DOS emulator does not know what sound card you are using.

So here is a long shot. Maybe you can get sound but since it is built on NT/ME/2000 technology the sound will dissapear after awhile. This is what occured with my ME machine and when I was using a computer that had differnt DMA settings then the one

that DOS was specified for.

Okay here it is from the get go. Windows XP and it's command is not DOS. It only mimics DOS. Remember 98 is built on DOS so various if not all DOS games will run on 98.

I suggesting searching the MSFN forums for help also. They are the place to go for PC problems with DOS sound in XP.

I am lucky to have a dedicated DOS machine on the side in case I want to mess around with DOS games.

On XP, one can still use the VDMSOUND project.  It does full SB emulation in the NTVDM. 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/

This is not really intended to Necro a post from 11 years ago, but rather just to point out the existence of the project, should somebody else take the above as gospel.  VDMSOUND works very well.

Edited by wierd_w