IGNORED

1200XL PBI EXTENDER BOARD PRODUCTION RUN: ORDER HERE!

MEtalGuy66

The 32in1 is a great option for the 1200XL plus fully prepares it for the PBI board.

Yeah but what happens if youve got a 32-in-one installed in a machine, and you hook an MIO up to it..

What happens when you hold select and press reset?

Which menu does it go to? the MIO or the 32-in-one?

And whichever it goes to, if you hold select when you exit that menu, does it go to the other?

If the MIO menu is the one that it goes to initially, I would think that if you held select and pressed "0" (exit), it would then enter the 32-in-one menu.. This would be a useable configuration..

But if the 32-in-one menu is triggered first, I think it resets the machine when it exits.. in which case, holding select would just return you to the 32-in-one menu.. That would be bad..

Maybe Steve has the answer to that. I would thing that issue may have been taken into account when programming the 32in1 because I'm sure, with it being installed in other systems with a stock PBI's, there would be users that have MIO or other PBI devices.

The 32in1 is a great option for the 1200XL plus fully prepares it for the PBI board.

Yeah but what happens if youve got a 32-in-one installed in a machine, and you hook an MIO up to it..

Which menu does it go to? the MIO or the 32-in-one?

And whichever it goes to, if you hold select when you exit that menu, does it go to the other?

If the MIO menu is the one that it goes to initially, I would think that if you held select and pressed "0" (exit), it would then enter the 32-in-one menu.. This would be a useable configuration..

But if the 32-in-one menu is triggered first, I think it resets the machine when it exits.. in which case, holding select would just return you to the 32-in-one menu.. That would be bad..

My 800xl has both 32n1 and MIO

On my 800xl on powerup if you hold select, you get 32n1 menu

after booted, holding SELECT and hitting RESET gives you the MIO menu

The only time you get the 32n1 menu is on powerup+select so it works fine.

Ok.. Ive got enough orders to make the 30 board minimum..

How much longer should I leave ordering open for?

I would think a week or two

I week or two?!?!

I was thinking like wednesday at midnight..

I guess I could hold off till friday if noone minds, but I cant submit the order to get the boards manufactured until Everyone's done ordering, and then Its gonna take a week or two to get the boards back from them..

By the way, Im submitting a request to several companies for a quote on some cart connectors. If anyone wants to "get in" on a bulk order of these, PM me.

I really dont wanna start a long-assed order list for this as well, so Im gonna restrict this to "orders" of 10 or more.. I dont know what kind of price we'll get (I'm shooting for $2.00 per connector and prepared to pay up to $10.00 per connector), but the part numbers I'm requesting are for 3M or AMPHENOL High quality, "earless" with gold contacts..

I week or two?!?!

I guess I could hold off till friday if noone minds, but I cant submit the order to get the boards manufactured until Everyone's done ordering, and then Its gonna take a week or two to get the boards back from them..

By the way, Im submitting a request to several companies for a quote on some cart connectors. If anyone wants to "get in" on a bulk order of these, PM me.

I really dont wanna start a long-assed order list for this as well, so Im gonna restrict this to "orders" of 10 or more.. I dont know what kind of price we'll get (I'm shooting for $2.00 per connector and prepared to pay up to $10.00 per connector), but the part numbers I'm requesting are for 3M or AMPHENOL High quality, "earless" with gold contacts..

Can you let us know how the quotes come out before we commit? I'd take 10 at $2 no problem but for 10 at $10 I'd probably want to pull them from broken boards I already have (re: for $100 it starts to be worth it to me to put in the time).

Edited by sl0re

(snip...)

I week or two?!?!

A week total should be reasonable, but there are some folks that due to vacation, illness, etc. still won't see it and will probably complain. A 5% overrun would be nice. These are like the XE-XL adapters -- I have no doubt that the potential sales will exceed your build.

If anyone knows of a 1200 user who hasn't "spoken up" you might do them a favor and send them a PM.

-Larry

Can you let us know how the quotes come out before we commit? I'd take 10 at $2 no problem but for 10 at $10 I'd probably want to pull them from broken boards I already have (re: for $100 it starts to be worth it to me to put in the time).

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. This is a part that is "obsolete" in the sense that their hasnt been a "common application" for it for many years. Companies like DIGIKEY have a part number for it, but they do not keep any on hand. Normally, when someone orders it, the contact 3m, TRW, Amphenol (or whichever manufacturer) and order some, and theres a wait time of several months (if your lucky) for them to get them. And unless your order in sufficient quantity,they may not even do it, period.

So what do you do if you need some RIGHT NOW? Well, you deal with "obsolete parts brokerage" companies.. These companies dont have standard pricing, but they can "procure" parts for you (from god knows where) at prices that THEY determine based on how many you ask for, and how much they end up having to pay for it... The way this works is that you REQUST A QUOTE and they tell you what they can do it for. But you have to tell them up front how many you want..

I am gonna get "QUOTES" from several of these companies, and go with the cheapest one.. But I need to know how many before hand, and higher volume definitely makes it more likely that I will get a better price. If I cant get them for less that $10.00 each, I'll make them by precision-filing END-PIECES of more commonly available 50 or 60 contact edge connectors.

Just curious has to how many 1200's actually made it on to the marketplace...I guess there must be a market for this mod, after all quite a few buyers/takers already

I'm guessing around 100,000 units from looking at serial numbers. Curt might have some internal Atari doc that gives a better estimate.

Wow, another project! The other day I read in one pass the MIO production thread. Good luck!

This is hardly a "project".. Its something thats been done by many people, but noone has ever gone through the trivial process of getting a board made for it.. This will have a definite turnaround time of PCB manufacturing time plus a few days. Its not something that has to be assembled, tested, revised, retested, etc... etc...

I just did this because the people in here said they wanted it...

And who knows.. Maybe I'll sell a few MIOs to 1200XL owners in the future as a result of this..

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. This is a part that is "obsolete" in the sense that their hasnt been a "common application" for it for many years. Companies like DIGIKEY have a part number for it, but they do not keep any on hand. Normally, when someone orders it, the contact 3m, TRW, Amphenol (or whichever manufacturer) and order some, and theres a wait time of several months (if your lucky) for them to get them. And unless your order in sufficient quantity,they may not even do it, period.

So what do you do if you need some RIGHT NOW? Well, you deal with "obsolete parts brokerage" companies.. These companies dont have standard pricing, but they can "procure" parts for you (from god knows where) at prices that THEY determine based on how many you ask for, and how much they end up having to pay for it... The way this works is that you REQUST A QUOTE and they tell you what they can do it for. But you have to tell them up front how many you want..

I am gonna get "QUOTES" from several of these companies, and go with the cheapest one.. But I need to know how many before hand, and higher volume definitely makes it more likely that I will get a better price. If I cant get them for less that $10.00 each, I'll make them by precision-filing END-PIECES of more commonly available 50 or 60 contact edge connectors.

Well, put me down for 10 then.

I wanted to build some cart based Mux boards (with cart extenders) anyway....