IGNORED

Intro to Atari Programming

wonderdog

Hi guys,

I'm no stranger to programming computers, but I have no idea how to begin working on games for the atari. I don't want to invest quite yet in an EPROM burner/eraser, but I would like to try my hand at coding in conjunction with an emulator to see if I really want to get involved with it. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go? Is there an API for the Atari? I'm assuming it uses some version of BASIC, but I just don't know where to start.

-TC

Edited by wonderdog

go down to the programming section and click on 2600 programming and look for batariBasic

Or, if you want to do it straight-up, see Andrew Davie's tutorial on how to program the 2600 directly:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47479

I highly recommend going with this route since you have experience programming. You can do a whole lot more with assembly, and you get the feel of how making 2600 games really is. IMO it is a much more rewarding experience.

If you do decide to go with Batari BASIC, then you might want to check out visual Batari BASIC (I dont have a link but im sure you can find it through a search).

Edited by Wickeycolumbus