IGNORED

So does my 80gb PS3 does have backwards compatibility or not?

Crazy Climber

Hello

I thought I had no backwards compatibility with my 80gb PS3 but I now hear 80% or so of PS2 &PS1 games will play on it? Sony say this...

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Is this a different 80gb model or something? I could have swore I was told numerous times that my 80gb won't play anything from the PS2 & PS1 library. Anybody know whats up here, I was debating tracking down a 60gb but if mine will play 80% then screw it, thats good enough. Anybody know the truth? Thanks :)

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong....

The 20gb and 60gb are backward compatible with PS2 games as these units have the Emotion chip in them.

The 40gb PS3's are NOT backward compatible.

The 80gb's that were first released, up to and including the Metal Gear Solid 80gb Bundle ARE backward compatible with PS2 games thru software emulation.

The 80gb and 160gb that are currently for sale are NOT backward compatible with PS2 games.

All PS3's play PS1 games.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

Mendon is correct.

If the old 80 gb are software compatible, where is the cost savings in making the new 80gb and 160gb not software compatible?

As Microsoft has learned, software emulation is a constant work in progress. Invariably someone will discover game X doesn't work, and complain about it until the company either promises a patch or says they won't fix it... at which point the conspiracy theories fly about how the company promised emulation and are now reneging.

My guess is Sony decided that wasn't worth the hassle, and saved those development dollars and potential PR headaches for other projects.

Mendon is correct.

If the old 80 gb are software compatible, where is the cost savings in making the new 80gb and 160gb not software compatible?

As Microsoft has learned, software emulation is a constant work in progress. Invariably someone will discover game X doesn't work, and complain about it until the company either promises a patch or says they won't fix it... at which point the conspiracy theories fly about how the company promised emulation and are now reneging.

My guess is Sony decided that wasn't worth the hassle, and saved those development dollars and potential PR headaches for other projects.

Nope

PS2 compability was achieved on things like the European models and the earlier 80 gig models through partial software emulation. The earlier PS3 releases in the US had two major PS2 chips to achieve BC. One of those two chips was replaced by a emulator in later models, with the consoles achieving BC through a hybrid hardware/emulator setup. That remaining chip was later removed entirely in a cost cutting measure, taking away PS2 compability completely. Until that second chip is ever emulated, our non PS2 compatibile consoles will never have the capability of playing PS2 titles.

It was never achieved purely though emulation that Sony decided to remove over compatibility issues.

Edited by Atariboy

Looks like if you have an 80GB PLAYSTATION®3 Model CECHE01 you may be in luck!

My advice is plug in a PS1 game and see what happens.

Mine says

CECHKO1 :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :ponder:

Can the PS3 link up with another unit for any games? If so I might just buy a 60gb off Ebay, I just doubt I'll get my money back for this one so I might as well keep it. At least I could link up for parties or something....well I guess I can just put them both online or something, yeah that will work. Screw it, I'm buying a second PS3 :)

Looks like if you have an 80GB PLAYSTATION®3 Model CECHE01 you may be in luck!

My advice is plug in a PS1 game and see what happens.

Mine says

CECHKO1 :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :ponder:

Can the PS3 link up with another unit for any games? If so I might just buy a 60gb off Ebay, I just doubt I'll get my money back for this one so I might as well keep it. At least I could link up for parties or something....well I guess I can just put them both online or something, yeah that will work. Screw it, I'm buying a second PS3 :)

Just buy a new PS2 for $129. Then you will have 100% compatibility with no worries.

PS2 compability was achieved on things like the European models and the earlier 80 gig models through partial software emulation...

It was never achieved purely though emulation that Sony decided to remove over compatibility issues.

I stand corrected. I was speculating based on the fact everyone was calling it software emulation, which would have been on par with the 360's efforts. Blame my sources. :)