IGNORED

Stella 2.7 released

stephena

I can't the debugger window to come up on 2.7. My desktop resolution is 1024x768. The message says that the window is too big, but there's no way to reduce it past 1030xwhatever. In 2.6.1 it displays the debugger window even at 1024x768, it just cuts a little bit off the sides (not enough to be a problem). :(

Michael

I probably should loosen the restrictions a bit, and allow windows that are larger than the screen size (at least for the ROM launcher and debugger). I'll address this in the 2.7.1 release, which will be out next Monday.

Regarding the above, is there any reason that the debugger window cannot be made scrollable? Then it would work regardless of resolution :)

The only reason that the built-in UI is 'home-grown' (actually, it originally came from ScummVM), and doesn't support scrolling). If it were a native UI toolkit, then this wouldn't be an issue. But then again, if that were the case, I'd have to write UI code for different toolkits on every different platform (ie, it wouldn't be platform-independent).

I seem to have a similar issue with the UI resolution.

I have a widescreen monitor it's resolution is 1680x1050, if I set the UI resolution to 1210x740 Stella works fine, if I change it to 12010x760 Stella starts but immediately closes with no error message.

I've attached my stell.ini file if that helps. Just remove the ".bin".

stella.ini.bin

Great update by the way! :lust:

I seem to have a similar issue with the UI resolution.

I have a widescreen monitor it's resolution is 1680x1050, if I set the UI resolution to 1210x740 Stella works fine, if I change it to 12010x760 Stella starts but immediately closes with no error message.

I've attached my stell.ini file if that helps. Just remove the ".bin".

stella.ini.bin

Great update by the way! :lust:

That issue isn't the same as the one reported above, but something that I just caught last night. The reason for the crash is a problem in viewing snapshots. I'm guessing that when you jump from x740 to x760, 2x snapshot mode is enabled, and it's crashing there.

In any event, I've fixed both these issues, which will be in the 2.7.1 release for this coming Monday. Keep the reports coming, as 2.7.1 will be the last release for the next few months, and I'd like to get everything taken care of.

Filenaming bug.

If a file extension is capitalized the rom launcher will report it as being an invalid rom!

if the file extention is in lowercase, it works fine.

videopinball.BIN will not work.

videopinball.bin will work.

Yep, I actually caught that one myself yesterday afternoon. The fix has already been committed for the next release.

Would it be possible to allow aspect ratios > 100%?

I have calculated the aspect ratio for PAL and it corresponds to 104% but I can't use it.

For NTSC the calculated aspect ratio corresponds to 86% so it works ok.

Also, would it be possible to have two different aspect ratio settings

that would be used (in gl-mode) depending on the PAL/NTSC autodetection of the ROM image?

Thanks for a great emulator!

Edited by zagon

I'm having a problem with Stella and wonder if anyone can help. I can't get my curser out of the Stella window and reach the top menu. This has been a problem with the last three Stella version's. Any suggestions? I'm running Mac OS 10.4.

Thanks,

JerryG

I'm having a problem with Stella and wonder if anyone can help. I can't get my curser out of the Stella window and reach the top menu. This has been a problem with the last three Stella version's. Any suggestions? I'm running Mac OS 10.4.

Thanks,

JerryG

Press the Cmd-g keys (Control-g for Linux and Windows), which releases the mouse from the window. I probably should add something to the UI to set that as well.

Hi there

Just setting up the new version of Stella and was wondering if anyone knew where I could download a screenshot pack? I really like the new interface, it isn't as clunky as the old one. So far I have experienced no problems running it on a 9800GTX in OpenGL. Great effort :)

When I mentioned the search box in the previous thread I was hoping that you would add a search box similar to those used in some of the MAME gui's where the user could type, for example, pac and only roms that had "pac" in their name would be shown such as all the pac-man variations etc.

This would make it a lot easier to find the rom you're looking for.

Hi there

Just setting up the new version of Stella and was wondering if anyone knew where I could download a screenshot pack? I really like the new interface, it isn't as clunky as the old one. So far I have experienced no problems running it on a 9800GTX in OpenGL. Great effort :)

You can download one on the stella-download page, just scroll down...

Hi there

You can download one on the stella-download page, just scroll down...

How the hell did I miss that? Thank you for pointing out my stupidity :roll:

When I mentioned the search box in the previous thread I was hoping that you would add a search box similar to those used in some of the MAME gui's where the user could type, for example, pac and only roms that had "pac" in their name would be shown such as all the pac-man variations etc.

Can you suggest a specific MAME frontend I should look at to see how this functionality would work?

Looks great, but it appears as if Stella for OS X still can't handle aliases to other directories -- is that correct? It'd be a big help if that feature could be added.

Can you explain to me again what is happening with aliases, and how it should be functioning?

I don't know if this is a bug or something in the settings but I'm having a problem with the sound with the "newer" games like Pitfall II and hacks like Hack'Em where these games play with no sound. Is there a setting that can cause this or is it a bug with the program? Thanks!

I don't know if this is a bug or something in the settings but I'm having a problem with the sound with the "newer" games like Pitfall II and hacks like Hack'Em where these games play with no sound. Is there a setting that can cause this or is it a bug with the program? Thanks!

Does sound work in other games? Are you by chance using OpenGL renderer and have an ATI video card (in Windows)? You shouldn't have to do anything different for Pitfall2; the sound should just work. Maybe you can play with the sound settings in 'Audio Settings' UI. Other than that, you'll have to include more information, such as operating system, video and sound hardware, etc. Also, many problems with Stella are due to drivers. Make sure that all drivers on your system are up to date.

Can you suggest a specific MAME frontend I should look at to see how this functionality would work?

Have a look at MAME Plus!.

Does sound work in other games? Are you by chance using OpenGL renderer and have an ATI video card (in Windows)? You shouldn't have to do anything different for Pitfall2; the sound should just work. Maybe you can play with the sound settings in 'Audio Settings' UI. Other than that, you'll have to include more information, such as operating system, video and sound hardware, etc. Also, many problems with Stella are due to drivers. Make sure that all drivers on your system are up to date.

Solved. Thanks! The OpenGL was selected and I changed it to software. Now works fine.

Solved. Thanks! The OpenGL was selected and I changed it to software. Now works fine.

Well, it's good that the issue is fixed for you, but I still don't consider that a working solution (ie, you can't use OpenGL, and it has some nice features). It seems to be the OpenGL/sound issue popping up again. Could you include your operating system, video card, and sound card info? You're not the first person to report this, and I really want to fix OpenGL and sound issues.