IGNORED

2600 games that aren't better on 5200, 7800, Colecovision, or Intellivision

famicommander

I love my Atari 2600, and for quite some time it was the only place I could play games like Asteroids, GORF, Space Invaders, or Dig Dug. But I have recently gotten into the 5200, 7800, Colecovision, and Intellivision scenes and am finding that many of my favorite 2600 games are better on those systems. Since I've owned my 7800 and Intellivision I've been playing my 2600 less and less.

So, I wanted to see what your favorite 2600-exclusive or best-on-2600 games are. I like Adventure, Yar's Revenge, Air-Sea Battle, Combat, Jr. Pac Man, Millipede, Missile Command, Super Breakout, and Warlords. Most of the rest of the 2600's best games that I've played are better somewhere else.

Does anyone have some suggestions?

Dunno if Demon Attack is best on 2600, but it's a damn good try. Nice color and optimal use of hardware architecture. Shame about the lack of giant boss though. Imagic's artists and programmers sure knew how to handle them hardware constraints.

Also, I just remembered a thing about this small outlet called Activsion, who first developed on VCS and then ported to other platforms with the explicit aim of keeping the look close to the original. Thus, most of their releases are best enjoyed on the on the old Stella woodgrainer, for authentic flavour.

Edited by johnny_boy

Super Cobra is about the same on all the platforms, but I think it works better on the 2600. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I like the 2600 version of Tutankham better than the more arcade perfect versions found on other systems.

Tempest

There are a lot of arcade games where the limitations of the vcs hardware and the fact that the game was no longer trying to kill you all the time to get another quarter created a distillation of what was fun about the arcade game in the first place, without the annoying deaths. Joust and Reactor and so many others fit this bill, for me. As a matter of fact, generally, if there is a 2600 version, I prefer it to the arcade. (Omega Race being one exception,)

I love the blocky graphics, vintage sounds and playability of the 2600, even if games often look better on other systems.

One that surprised me is Kung Fu Master. I can't believe how great it looks on the 2600. I got the 7800 version thinking it would be even better, but the graphics are nearly the same and the gameplay on the 2600 is MUCH better.

Mario Bros.

Joust

Mario Bros. has inferior graphics to the 7800s, but the gameplay, for me, is more fun on the 2600. I can't comment about the 5200 version, as I haven't tried it; but I imagine it being akin to the 7800 version.

Joust is just more fun with lame graphics....go figure....

I call bullshit here.

Joust on the 7800 is an absolutely arcade perfect translation, and the best home version of the game in existence.

I call bullshit here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't handle that I suggest you post elsewhere.

Tempest

It's a commonly used phrase in American English vernacular.

It's a joke. You know, like calling "shotgun" for the front seat of the car. I'm not REALLY going to wield a shotgun from your car.

People are allowed to disagree with said opinions, aren't they?

Edited by Underball

I call bullshit here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't handle that I suggest you post elsewhere.

Tempest

It's a commonly used phrase in American English vernacular.

It's a joke. You know, like calling "shotgun" for the front seat of the car. I'm not REALLY going to wield a shotgun from your car.

I think you're confusing two different things while missing the point at the same time. It's a trifecta!

Tempest