IGNORED

2600 games that aren't better on 5200, 7800, Colecovision, or Intellivision

famicommander

I call bullshit here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't handle that I suggest you post elsewhere.

Tempest

It's a commonly used phrase in American English vernacular.

It's a joke. You know, like calling "shotgun" for the front seat of the car. I'm not REALLY going to wield a shotgun from your car.

I think you're confusing two different things while missing the point at the same time. It's a trifecta!

Tempest

I notice you ignored the part about everyone being entitled to their own opinion.

You could make an argument for most of the Activision games. While games like Pitfall!, Stampede and Kaboom! certainly aren't any worse on other systems, they aren't really any better, either. The graphics were jazzed up, but that was pretty much it. The originals defined the games, and Activision didn't dare mess with success (in most cases).

In other words, what johnny_boy said.

Edited by skunkworx

I call bullshit here.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you can't handle that I suggest you post elsewhere.

Tempest

It's a commonly used phrase in American English vernacular.

It's a joke. You know, like calling "shotgun" for the front seat of the car. I'm not REALLY going to wield a shotgun from your car.

I think you're confusing two different things while missing the point at the same time. It's a trifecta!

Tempest

I notice you ignored the part about everyone being entitled to their own opinion.

Now, now, kids! Tempest, thank you for stepping in, and Underball, watch your language! ;)

For the sake of discussion, I mentioned Joust because the controls, sound effects (eek!), and gameplay are intendical (to me, anyhow) between the two systems. Joust is an essential game, but the graphical upgrade from the 2600 to the 7800 would never be deal breaker for me, since it plays so similarly. It's kind of like if I sat in front of my television without wearing my glasses, the colors may be the only aspect to give away which version I was playing. The controls, the gravity, all of it feel the same....which I thought was the topic at hand...but color me stupid, if I don't know anything...for which I'm sure I'll be called out :)

Edited by tisaperfectdayelise

You could make an argument for most of the Activision games. While games like Pitfall!, Stampede and Kaboom! certainly aren't any worse on other systems, they aren't really any better, either. The graphics were jazzed up, but that was pretty much it. The originals defined the games, and Activision didn't dare mess with success (in most cases).

That's what kinda irked me about the Intellivision version of Pitfall! -- it was really no different from the 2600 version. You would have thought with the great games Activision had, and the more capabilities the Intellivision had, they would have put the two together to get a significantly improved port...

• 4 years later...

Bumping this because 2 pages of discussion isn't nearly enough.

Dunno if Demon Attack is best on 2600, but it's a damn good try. Nice color and optimal use of hardware architecture. Shame about the lack of giant boss though. Imagic's artists and programmers sure knew how to handle them hardware constraints.

Also, I just remembered a thing about this small outlet called Activsion, who first developed on VCS and then ported to other platforms with the explicit aim of keeping the look close to the original. Thus, most of their releases are best enjoyed on the on the old Stella woodgrainer, for authentic flavour.

Demon Attack on the 2600 and C64 really feel like two different games, and they're both worth it in my opinion. If I had to choose one of the two, I would definitely choose the 2600 version, though.

Super Cobra is about the same on all the platforms, but I think it works better on the 2600. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I like the 2600 version of Tutankham better than the more arcade perfect versions found on other systems.

Tempest

Super Cobra without the smooth scrolling is not Super Cobra but rather some sort of gimmick of that game. But it plays well, that is true.

Tutankham is a different story though. Very badly designed and very poorly executed. Gameplay is really bad as well with lots of bugs. Certainly cannot recommend the 2600 version.

Hmmm played Enduro not long ago and it is actually really good. OK technically the sequel GACCRR is not on the VCS and Enduro (despite Wikipedia completely failing to mention it) is also only available on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (AKA Timex computer with colour and z80) so my vote probably goes to Enduro as a good reason to fire up the ol' VCS.

At first it looks kind of basic but the more you play it the more you notice beautiful little touches (like when driving in foggy conditions how the fog lights are only visible and nicely done). THIS is the mark of a great game. Being less annoying than the sequel on other systems ie GACCRR is also a good thing :)

Also it does also feel a bit like really driving long distance, I have had to do that a few times quite recently and it is quite realistic in your impatience and catatonic states it induces :)

The 2600 version of Centipede is closer to the arcade than both the 5200 and 7800 versions. Of course the graphics is more simple but the gameplay is excellent. They did the maximum and it shows. Go for the 2600!

Not sure I can agree here. The 2600 version is indeed very good, and all three are very close in quality, but I have to give the edge to the 5200 version. Arcade-perfect sound effects and true track ball support really make the game. Of course I will readily agree the 2600 at least trumps the Atari 8-bit computer release.

2600 Jr. Pac-Man is better than the only other officially released version that I'm aware of, the Commodore 64 port. Of course PacManPlus's 7800 effort bests them both.

A case could be made for Nukey Shay's hack of 2600 Missile Command, the only 8-bit version to offer three missile bases. The 5200 version still wins in every other respect, though.

Space Invaders is definitely better on the 2600. The 5200 version just looks odd.

Atari VCS Missile Command is one of my favorites, recently I've discovered Cosmic Ark and it looks good.

Decathlon, Enduro, Jungle Hunt, JR Pac-Man, Pitfall, Space Invaders, Venture, Wizard of Wor, all of them stand up well in comparison with other systems.

For me, Space Invaders 2600 will always be the gold standard. Arcade accurate ports are great, but I'll take the 2600 version over any of those every time.

Couldn't agree more. The pacing is just less tedious than the arcade game. And because the levels finish quicker there is a better sense of progression. In my opinion if it wasn't for the multifarious ports of SI with all their 'tweaks' on the gameplay the arcade SI wouldn't have survived with anywhere near the popularity it has. I find the arcade machine to be a little boring to be honest... it's just to labourious.

As far as Demon Attack goes, I actually prefer the Vic 20 version. Probably only because that's the version I played first though I do like the little space ships 'dancing' when you gain an extra life at the end of a level... a subtle but nice addition over the 2600. :)

The games for me that work best on the 2600 would be the ubiquitous Enduro and Missile Command. Enduro just plays and looks so nice. Missile Command is more accessible and the simple graphics and sound just add a layer of abstraction that makes the game feel, to me at least, a little more dark and menacing...

ha! I remember this topic (it's 4 years old in case anyone else didn't notice) Looks like 2 members that contributed have since been banned....I do miss Shawn, a little hot headed but forums need that now and then, overall he was cool. Underball?? He must not have lasted long, the name doesn't ring a bell...

Edited by Crazy Climber