IGNORED

2600 games that aren't better on 5200, 7800, Colecovision, or Intellivision

famicommander

I have to agree about Space Invaders. It might have less invaders than the arcade version (or other versions for that matter) but it still retained the original challenge and charm of the arcade game.

Not to mention, the variety of gameplay modes really added to the replay value. In fact, it was what put the Atari 2600 on the map in the first place.

Galaxian and Space Invaders are much more playable on the VCS than on the Famicom IMO. Those two titles never made it to NES btw. Centipede is also excellent. I also like VCS Millipede better than the NES version.

Original VCS ports of Pacman and Donkey Kong, on the other hand... :P

Also any game that's been remade as a modern homebrew: Pacman 4k and the new Donkey Kong VCS probably trump anything that came out on any other 8-bit system...

Edited by stardust4ever

This is easy. I prefer all the Activision and Imagic titles on 2600 over other consoles. That being said I haven't played disk version of some titles or extensively compared every computer platform. And let me point out that titles that didn't see release on 2600 are some of my favorites, like Happy Trails.

The 2600 has a great arcade-y twitchy feel that I prefer over many of the 1.5nd generation cart consoles. Given that some titles just couldn't be ported back to 2600 well (Donkey Kong!), most titles that started on 2600 or saw simultaneous release on 2600 along with other consoles, are better on 2600 for me.

Edited by ianoid

• 1 year later...

Yep, Enduro is on the Speccy, my bad. In my defense that's an obscure one and I had no idea.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but I prefer bump and jump on the 2600 more than any other system - inty, cv, nes, arcade, coco, etc.

Bump N Jump 2600 is great! Never played the INTV-version - but the 2600 game is an underrated masterpiece!

Old thread... Cool...

On the Invaders front, I challenge everyone to play TI Invaders on the TI-99/4A. I love the VCS version, but for me, the TI version is tops.

My 2600 REALLY gets a ton of play these days, and I prefer most all Activision games on the VCS to other consoles. Invaders, I have to defer to the /4A version... (Yes, I know it is not Activision) It is just flawless. You can download Classic99, the ROM is built right in to the emulator.

Centipede, some do not like the graphics on the VCS.... as the mushrooms are not mushrooms... But the gameplay in the 2600 is frantic, fast, and AWESOME.

Edited by Opry99er

With Space Invaders, I actually prefer the home ports to the arcade, which I think is pretty boring (now--back in the day it was ground breaking). The following ports are my favorite, and each has it's own charm because they are different:

Atari 2600: probably my favorite. Great variety and just plain fun.

Atari 800/XEGS: I love the way the invaders come out of the ship on the left side. No shields is strange at first, but it makes it unique.

Atari 5200: Totally weird! Fun designs for the invaders. Wish I had a better controller, but otherwise a great game.

Ti 99/4a: the best unofficial clone! Love the way your gunner comes out.

Also, I will say that Pitfall 2 is way better in the Atari 800/XEGs than the 2600. I also prefer H.E.R.O on the Colecovision (you can use a 2600 joystick). I think River Raid is slightly better on the Atari 800/XEGS because it has the balloons and other extras. The Colecovision and Intellivision versions are pretty slick too.

I'll agree with Centipede being awesome, but it still doesn't compare to the perfect graphics on the 7800. I don't own a 5200 but I can imagine the trackball use being perfect. I may have to pick one up someday... :)

Obviously Joust and Mario Bros are great, although the 7800 upgraded graphics are nice. Somehow 7800 made the TIA audio worse with Mario Bros? DK, DK Jr sound is pants on the 7800, but at least the gameplay is solid.

While we are on the topic of "better on VCS" ports, do you guys think it is fair or reasonable to include modern homebrew? I'm thinking of how fantastic tep's "Pacman 8k" is getting, for those following it. Far superior even to the NES port.

With Space Invaders, I actually prefer the home ports to the arcade, which I think is pretty boring (now--back in the day it was ground breaking). The following ports are my favorite, and each has it's own charm because they are different:

Atari 2600: probably my favorite. Great variety and just plain fun.

Atari 800/XEGS: I love the way the invaders come out of the ship on the left side. No shields is strange at first, but it makes it unique.

Atari 5200: Totally weird! Fun designs for the invaders. Wish I had a better controller, but otherwise a great game.

Ti 99/4a: the best unofficial clone! Love the way your gunner comes out.

I know it's over a decade late, but I'll argue the Game Boy Space Invaders played on SNES Super Gameboy.

Game Boy Color Space invaders is fun too although more of a reboot.

Well I much prefer the Atari 2600 version of Ms. PacMan over the 5200. That thing is clunky and slow.

And yep, PitFall for the 5200 feels like a lazy port.

Sorta soul less. The original on 2600 took advantage of the hardware and showed off what it could do. Was a great time to own a 2600 for that game, as it was a shinning beacon of really great game development right there.

Pitfall was just meh on the 5200 though. Now a game like PacMan on the 5200 made PitFall look quite embarrassing, it ran smoothly and looked freaking amazing. Hell I still remember when a friend bought a 5200 in '83 and called me over to play it,my jaw was on the floor and i was sooooo jealous! HaHa! The game took advantage of the hardware big time,unlike PitFall,meh....

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

This is a timely threadbump for me. I've been getting reacquainted with some of my gaming stuff that has been packed away for several years. Over the past month or so, I've pulled out my Intellivision, Colecovision, and 5200. I've probably played them more over the last few weeks than when I first got them. While they all have their strengths, the comparison has also reinforced how solid the gameplay is on a lot of the cross-platform 2600 games.

My perceptions are probably biased by the fact that I never owned anything but the 2600 back in the day. Also, I'm just a little too young and grew up just a little too far from any sizeable towns to have experienced the height of the arcade scene so an imperfect arcade port probably doesn't bother me as much as it should. If my only standard is how much fun I'm likely to have just sitting down and throwing in a cartridge, then the 2600 is almost always going to win out. For starters, I'm not fighting a questionable controller design. Playing rapidfire shooters with sidebuttons is the opposite of fun for me.

This is easy. I prefer all the Activision and Imagic titles on 2600 over other consoles. That being said I haven't played disk version of some titles or extensively compared every computer platform. And let me point out that titles that didn't see release on 2600 are some of my favorites, like Happy Trails.

The 2600 has a great arcade-y twitchy feel that I prefer over many of the 1.5nd generation cart consoles. Given that some titles just couldn't be ported back to 2600 well (Donkey Kong!), most titles that started on 2600 or saw simultaneous release on 2600 along with other consoles, are better on 2600 for me.

The Coleco version of Beamrider is superior to VCS.

2nd button is helpful and more galactic villains.