IGNORED

'84 Touch Tablet Unboxed

frogstar_robot

touchtablet.jpgLong before there were Wacom tablets and Adobe Photoshop, Atari produced the CX77 Touch Tablet for their line of Atari 8-bit computers. Technologizer.com obtained an unopened, new-in-the-box Atari Touch Tablet and decided to unbox the tablet and document the process. Atari's cartridge-based AtariArtist software was included with the Touch Tablet, and the article's author goes as far as to hook the tablet up to a 130XE to put it through its paces. Posting pictures of an "unboxing" has become a popular internet activity for some, and not something we see very often for Atari peripherals that were released 25 years ago. You can view the complete slideshow here.

I found a CX-77 at the thrift shop a while ago.I understand it's for use on the XL -XE line of Atari computers?Is there any way i can test to see if it works using an Atari 400?,thats the closest i have to an Atari computer.I have no use for it.I bought it just for collectors status,it would be nice to know that it works.It didnt come with the ATARIARTIST SOFTWARE CART,just the pad.Just an easy test,a sign,whatever.I have absolutely no idea how to use it or what its for,it just looked cool.Thanx.

Edited by Rik

What did he mean by 'If this were a sensational blog, I might have burned them and taken a picture. Instead, I burned them after I took the picture'?

Might be a reference to people buying 360s, PS3s, iPhones, etc. when they came out and then immediately destroying them in front of the crowds still waiting in line to purchase them. And getting it on film, of course.

..Al

Saw loads of boxed atari TT;s (touch tablets) when i used to go to the AMS shows in stafford, unfortunately i didn't get around to snagging one

Mind you, i saw loads of boxed 810's and 1050's as well (not that i didn't need one at the time but would bite their hands off for a couple of modded 1050's now though)

Edited by carmel_andrews

What did he mean by 'If this were a sensational blog, I might have burned them and taken a picture. Instead, I burned them after I took the picture'?

I think i saw your yootoob vid ross, the one you were showing the galaxian box (a8 version), unfoirtunately for some reason the computer restarted on me and could'nt find the link again...the vid was a bit grainy though (heavily pixellated)

I think i saw your yootoob vid ross, the one you were showing the galaxian box (a8 version), unfoirtunately for some reason the computer restarted on me and could'nt find the link again...the vid was a bit grainy though (heavily pixellated)

Ah yeah, sorry, I deleted most of my Youtube vids a few days ago.

Just PEEK & PRINT the appropriate addresses, inside of a loop, from Atari BASIC... then touch the tablet. If it works, the stream of numbers will change when you move the stylus.

What is meant by PEEK & PRINT the addresses,inside a loop?.Excuse my ignorance,im lost when it comes to technical lingo

What is meant by PEEK & PRINT the addresses,inside a loop?.Excuse my ignorance,im lost when it comes to technical lingo

In Atari Basic it means something like this:

10 PRINT PADDLE(0);" ";PADDLE(1)

20 GOTO 10

The PADDLE statements are just convenient shorthand for something like:

10 PRINT PEEK(624);" ";PEEK(625)

20 GOTO 10

What the first line does in either program is print the current position of the paddle knobs. The axes on the tablet look to the Atari like paddle knobs. The second line just executes the first line again and the whole thing continues executing until interrupted: a loop.

So what you'll see is two columns of numbers between 0-255 that change as you move the stylus about the pad eg:

200 100

199 101

198 99

and so on.

Edited by frogstar_robot

In Atari Basic it means something like this:

10 PRINT PADDLE(0);" ";PADDLE(1)

20 GOTO 10

The PADDLE statements are just convenient shorthand for something like:

10 PRINT PEEK(624);" ";PEEK(625)

20 GOTO 10

What the first line does in either program is print the current position of the paddle knobs. The axes on the tablet look to the Atari like paddle knobs. The second line just executes the first line again and the whole thing continues executing until interrupted: a loop.

So what you'll see is two columns of numbers between 0-255 that change as you move the stylus about the pad eg:

200 100

199 101

198 99

and so on.

Okay,so do i type in those 2 lines:10 print paddle(0);" ";paddle(1) and 20 goto 10 and press enter or whatever to use stylus on pad to see if numbers change?,or do those lines show up automatically if the tablet is working?I have the Basic Computing Languge cartridge,should that be plugged in my 400 also?..told ya i was clueless,i appreciate the help!!!!!!!

Edited by Rik

Okay,so do i type in those 2 lines:10 print paddle(0);" ";paddle(1) and 20 goto 10 and press enter or whatever to use stylus on pad to see if numbers change?,or do those lines show up automatically if the tablet is working?I have the Basic Computing Languge cartridge,should that be plugged in my 400 also?..told ya i was clueless,i appreciate the help!!!!!!!

After you type them in on a new line type RUN and hit your Return key.

Then play with the device.

Hi bf2k,and thanx for the reply.I did all that and after pressing RUN,i keep getting a line that reads Error- 12 at line 20.And still nothing happens

Hi bf2k,and thanx for the reply.I did all that and after pressing RUN,i keep getting a line that reads Error- 12 at line 20.And still nothing happens

After you finish typing it in, type LIST and press return and make sure what is shown on the screen is exactly the same as the listing.