IGNORED

ColecoVision Arkanoid...

opcode

New year, new arcade port. Arkanoid has been in my to-do list for years, but just now I found some free time to start it. Actually Luc created the graphics for the game some 3 years ago, so I decided that it was time to put them to use. BTW, Luc didn’t know that I was working on the game (surprise, surprise).

The only emulator capable of running the ROM image is BlueMSX, as it is the only one with memory pack support (make sure that you select “CV with Opcode memory” from the “emulation” menu).

The game is using the actual arcade engine, and includes the first 8 tables, though it isn’t playable yet. However you can see all 8 tables if you have the patience.

The game size is 13KB already, so I am estimating that it is 25% done.

Hopefully both Arkanoid and Donkey Kong Arcade will be finished later this year, in time for the Opgrade Module. I will keep you guys updated as game development progress…

Eduardo

ARK.zip

post-1432-1232485450_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485552_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485558_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485567_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485574_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485580_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485588_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485593_thumb.png

post-1432-1232485600_thumb.png

Alright I'll make sure to keep the whole Pac Man thing on it's designated thread. Anyway how long do you think this port could take and also will it only be playable with the roller controller?

How long? I don't know, perhaps an year, perhaps more. That depends on all the other projects we have. I wish I could release it near the Opgrade Module...

About controller, I don't like the way the roller controller works, it is kind of CPU intensive. So regular controller for sure, and perhaps I could use the Atari paddle...

Alright I'll make sure to keep the whole Pac Man thing on it's designated thread. Anyway how long do you think this port could take and also will it only be playable with the roller controller?

How long? I don't know, perhaps an year, perhaps more. That depends on all the other projects we have. I wish I could release it near the Opgrade Module...

About controller, I don't like the way the roller controller works, it is kind of CPU intensive. So regular controller for sure, and perhaps I could use the Atari paddle...

I vote for Atari Paddle.

Awesome work Eduardo!!!!!!

-Lee

New year, new arcade port. Arkanoid has been in my to-do list for years, but just now I found some free time to start it. Actually Luc created the graphics for the game some 3 years ago, so I decided that it was time to put them to use. BTW, Luc didn’t know that I was working on the game (surprise, surprise).

And surprised I certainly am! I was actually expecting you to do a demo with the Castlevania graphics I gave you for Christmas, but this is just as good! :D

The only emulator capable of running the ROM image is BlueMSX, as it is the only one with memory pack support (make sure that you select “CV with Opcode memory” from the “emulation” menu).

The game is using the actual arcade engine, and includes the first 8 tables, though it isn’t playable yet. However you can see all 8 tables if you have the patience.

The game size is 13KB already, so I am estimating that it is 25% done.

Hopefully both Arkanoid and Donkey Kong Arcade will be finished later this year, in time for the Opgrade Module. I will keep you guys updated as game development progress…

You forgot to mention that you've also been working on the CV port of Gulkave. ;) How far along are you with that, if you don't mind me asking publicly?

From what I've heard, the Atari Paddles are not usable on the CV... I can only hope you will change your mind about the Roller Controller...

Anyhow, thanks Eduardo, it's a great way to start the year, that's for sure! :D

Why not that little dial thingy on the front of the Super Controller?

Why not that little dial thingy on the front of the Super Controller?

The CV dials generate an interrupt every time you spin them, which isn't very efficient. Actually it is as bad as it could be…

A much better solution would be to build a little circuit board with an analog-to-digital convertor and use the Atari paddle. This way you can get the paddle position using a single I/O read, and save [a lot of] CPU time for more important things.

Eduardo

And surprised I certainly am! I was actually expecting you to do a demo with the Castlevania graphics I gave you for Christmas, but this is just as good! :D

I thought it was about time to start implementing some of the games you have created graphics for, otherwise why would you want to keep wasting your time creating them?

You forgot to mention that you've also been working on the CV port of Gulkave. ;) How far along are you with that, if you don't mind me asking publicly?

From the current ROM size, I would say 70~80%.

From what I've heard, the Atari Paddles are not usable on the CV... I can only hope you will change your mind about the Roller Controller...

You are correct, not without an adaptor, which is what I am suggesting. Why waste tons of CPU cycle and do magic to read something as simple as a paddle, when you can use an ADC and read the position within a single I/O access. And I am sure there are plenty of Atari paddles around... :)

Anyhow, thanks Eduardo, it's a great way to start the year, that's for sure! :D

You're welcome. :)

Eduardo

I thought it was about time to start implementing some of the games you have created graphics for, otherwise why would you want to keep wasting your time creating them?

Good point. :) Besides, I spent two months working on those Arkanoid graphics, and only a couple of weeks on Castlavania MoD, so I'd say this is better for me. :D

From the current ROM size, I would say 70~80%.

Cool. :)

You are correct, not without an adaptor, which is what I am suggesting. Why waste tons of CPU cycle and do magic to read something as simple as a paddle, when you can use an ADC and read the position within a single I/O access. And I am sure there are plenty of Atari paddles around... :)

I'm guessing the adaptor will only be something like a mini-PCB with a special chip (and some male and female 9-pin connectors, obviously). Any thoughts on how to implement this?

BTW, I tried the demo ROM. Nice job so far! I see you've decided to put the scoreboard on the right side, even if it means sacrificing some columns of bricks in the main game area. :)

Wow, Arkanoid on the ColecoVision! I love Arkanoid. :)

If there's any way to use the Atari 2600 paddles, that would kick ass.

..Al

I should have sold you my Arkanoid machine. I recently sold it. $99. Amazing...

Would have been a long drive to pick it up. :) But $99, I would have bought that in a heartbeat, assuming it was in working condition.

..Al

Wow, Arkanoid on the ColecoVision! I love Arkanoid. :)

If there's any way to use the Atari 2600 paddles, that would kick ass.

..Al

I should have sold you my Arkanoid machine. I recently sold it. $99. Amazing...

Would have been a long drive to pick it up. :) But $99, I would have bought that in a heartbeat, assuming it was in working condition.

..Al

It was, we had it here in the office for a couple years so it was time for something else. The something else is a side by side Rave Racer!

No Roller controller... :(

I had hoped to be able to vote for the use of our Roller Controller.

post-9873-1232625994_thumb.png

They operate smoothly through Slither, Victory, WarGames, Centipede etc.

But if it is too CPU intensive, I can well see that it might slow down the game, or...?

No Roller controller... :(

I had hoped to be able to vote for the use of our Roller Controller.

post-9873-1232625994_thumb.png

They operate smoothly through Slither, Victory, WarGames, Centipede etc.

But if it is too CPU intensive, I can well see that it might slow down the game, or...?

I too would like to see Roller Controller support, but the alternative is actually much better, if we can make it work: We can (and probably will) devise a small dongle-type adaptor that allows the player to use the Atari paddle controllers (or the paddle on the Coleco Gemini controller, same thing AFAIK) with Arkanoid on the ColecoVision.

Atari paddles are far less bulky than the Roller Controller, and they're also easier to find in working condition. They come in pairs (two controllers on a single port) which frees up port #2 in two-player mode (so we can still use the CV keypad if needed). According to Eduardo, monitoring paddle input is far less CPU-intensive than doing the same thing on the Roller Controller. Best of all, with the fire button right next to each paddle, the Atari paddles are a perfect match for Arkanoid. :)

We will probably pack the paddle adaptor in Arkanoid's box, assuming we make it small enough to fit in the available free space at the bottom of the box. Otherwise, we may have to sell it separately.

I'm looking forward to discussing this adaptor with Eduardo... :)

I actually just dreamed this but how about the Turbo steering wheel?

The steering wheel has the same problem than the Roller Controller: It generates too many interrupts when moved. In fact, the steering wheel uses the exact same type of movement recording, which means that you can actually play Turbo with the Roller Controller!

OK, this is a little off topic I know, but since an Atari paddle was mentioned and it's compatibility came up I was wondering if anybody knows if the Atari CX78 Joypad works with a ColecoVision? These are the joypads that were packed with the 7800 overseas, I believe.

I'm hoping that 1) They are and 2) Both buttons function as if they were the left and right buttons on the Coleco controller. My current disability (I have bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome) makes using the stock Coleco controller a real pain (pun intended).