IGNORED

Missadventure - observations and questions

dark-aleph

I must concur with other posters - this is without doubt the creme de la creme of Adventure hacks. It's scope is such that calling it a 'hack' is a bit of a disservice. To all those who voted for Adventure in the top 100 thread, please try it if you haven't already; after you've tried it please add your support to the "Would you want this on a cart?" thread. I really want to see this happen!

The world design is perfect! Massive without seeming too big for the gameplay, pleasingly varied in shape and colour, and it encourages free exploration and discovery. The extra dragons and their differing behaviours are well calculated to keep the player on their toes, and sometimes lead to a joyous total anarchy. I love getting swallowed three or four times, and when your death-dealing dragon gets picked up by the bat, you can in turn grab the bat and wander ghost-like through the kingdom with barrierless freedom! The cross is a cool new object and allows the player to explore in a more relaxed manner, significantly adding to the sandbox element.

Any criticisms are minor in comparison to the awesomeness, but I would mention one: Game 2 doesn't seem any harder than Game 1. In Adventure, Game 2 is calculated to be highly complex and requires a devious string of actions to complete. This doesn't seem to be the case here. I would like a maximally complex setup for Game 2, in which every object must be used and the order of actions is critical.

Having now completed all three games, I have some questions which may only be answerable by the programmers.

1. Is the chalice gettable? I tried the bridge, magnet and bat with no success. If it is gettable, please don't tell me how! But if it isn't I think that should be made clear in the eventual manual, else it will be a source of frustration.

2. Is the dot in this game? If so, does it do anything?

3. You can see the game select screen in the course of play. Can the player reach it?

...and last of all, 4. Can Squeak please be made immortal? I just can't bring myself to slay the cute little fella, and felt deep guilt when I did so by accident :( It felt a little genocidal!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this project. You've made this Adventure fan into a very happy boy indeed.

1. No, I don't believe so. Yorgle made it out of the author's signature.

2. The dot was changed into the cross.

3. I don't believe so.

4. I'm not sure about that one.

I don't think I paid much attention to game 2. Yorgle made this hack for his daughters. It's possible he wanted to make it fairly easy on game 2.

Edited by accousticguitar

Thanks for your answers accousticguitar, I'll stop trying to get my grubby hands on the chalice now!

I'm gonna try out your MissFlip version over the next few days (the last few of my summer holidays), and I'll let you know what I think. The Warp Room sounds good - it can take a long time sometimes to get from A to B. I've already had a quick squiz at the flipping dragons - nice job! Habit means I always try to evade dragons by veering left, but now that they flip I'm getting chomped half the time!

Haven't got far enough yet to see the Dragon's Lair, but I like the idea of having to run a gauntlet to get to the end. Squeak's a tricky one to get away from for some reason - so a good choice there.

Are there any easter eggs? Yorgle deserves a little credit in there somewhere.

The warp room is in all 3 versions. It's the room with the red trees just before the red maze. The main difference between the Dragon's Lair version and the original version is the Dragon's Lair with Squeak in it and all the dragons are fast. The only difference between the Dragon's Lair version and the MissFlip version is the flipping dragons (and 2 of the dragons are slower).

I don't think there are any Easter eggs. Yorgle focused on gameplay. You can still check out his original threads on Missadventure if you search for them, although I think he sometimes spelled it "Misadventure" so you'd have to search both ways. Yes, Yorgle and Nukey Shay both deserve most of the credit for this hack. Nukey wrote the code for the flipping dragons. By the way, running to the left still works.

Glad folks are having so much fun with this.

1. No. As stated, it was made from Warren Robinett's secret message sprite.

2. The dot was made into a crucifix to ward off dragons. (In my original version, all of the dragons feared it).

3. In my original version of the game, there was a way to get into the number room, but not out! I liked the idea of a trap for the overly-curious adventurer. I'm not sure if the entrance still exists in the revised game.

4. I like the idea of an invincible dragon.

I also had a secret area of the kingdom that could only be accessed by an elaborate and dangerous use of the bridge. Not sure if that remains in Missadventure Revised. At the time, I was planning a sequel that would incorporate some of these inaccessable areas.

As for the different game levels, the truth is I was going to eliminate them altogether but never got around to removing the extra code.

Here's my early version of the game so you can see what differences there are in the kingdom.

missadventure.bin

Edited by yorgle

In my original version of the game, there was a way to get into the number room, but not out! I liked the idea of a trap for the overly-curious adventurer. I'm not sure if the entrance still exists in the revised game.

It doesn't exist. The problem with that is it would trap dragons and bats as well. Or maybe that's a good thing. ;)

I also had a secret area of the kingdom that could only be accessed by an elaborate and dangerous use of the bridge. Not sure if that remains in Missadventure Revised. At the time, I was planning a sequel that would incorporate some of these inaccessable areas.

I changed the fractured tunnels into a forest. I found that some games were not winnable because it is easy to get stuck in there with the only way out being to hit the reset button which leaves the bridge inaccessible (unless the bat picks it up) and if a needed object is in there the game is over.

Edited by accousticguitar

• 1 month later...