Lee9977

Shout Out the Arcade you grew up in.

for those that grew up on the west side of portland, do you recall the name of an arcade in Beaverton in the strip mall on the corner of Murray and Allen Blvd? It closed in 83 or 84. Used to go there a lot after school at Highland Park.

My mom used to work in Beaverton Mall and I ended up spending a lot of time in Electric Castle. sad to see that spot chopped out to an exit and a small food court there now.

I remember there was a tiny computer store next to it that sold the Coleco ADAM, and a place on the other side that did market research.

the roller rink had a lot of arcade games too, at the end by what was G.I. Joes. I remember playing a lot of Missile Command there. That got turned into a Ross dress for less for decades and I think now its a grocery store of some kind, I think.

I haven't been back there since last winter.

there were so many arcades open back then. we used to try to go to every one we heard about to see if they had anything new.

Hey HFB.

Don't recall going to the one on Murray and Allen (I now live about a half mile from there) but I sure remember going to Electric Palace (Electric Castle is Wunderland). My sister worked the sticker kiosk in the mall. It's now called "Cedar Crossing" and the fountains are gone. And I have fond memories of the roller rink (and zapping myself on the machines after getting static electricity from rolling around on the floor) too. Also, there was a small arcade in Valley Plaza on Beaverton Hillsdale Highway, if you remember that.

whoops! yea, as I was typing that I was thinking "better not get them mixed up" and of course I did. doh!

yea, I was back in town last february and checked it out. I used to work in the mall too back in 87-88 at Tower Video. that of course is long gone and most of the mall unrecognizable.

I don't recall an arcade in Valley Plaza but if it was small I probably only went there once. I swung through there too when i was in town as well. I wanted to see if the Valley Theater was still running, and suprise! It was, as a 2nd run brew pub. i didn't have time to see a movie there but I plan to next time I'm in town. its the only theater left that hasn't been torn down from when I was a kid.

I remember vaguely there was an arcade sort of out in Aloha or Hillsboro that someone had made in an old converted house but it was at last partially run by this quite attractive woman. This must have been around 1980 because I recall she was keeping my dad entertained while we played the games and I was jokingly suggesting her marry her so we can score the arcade. He got remarried in 81. He took me to Chuck E Cheese before telling me, too, haha.

Damn, I've got to find more information on defunct Portland Metro area landmarks. The Canyon Drive-In, Family Drive-In, various arcades, Hydrotubes, Washington Square stores, Beaverton Mall stores (and the airport, which was way before my time), places like Mr. Steak, Wuv's Burgers, etc. Pictures too would be nice.

Damn, I've got to find more information on defunct Portland Metro area landmarks. The Canyon Drive-In, Family Drive-In, various arcades, Hydrotubes, Washington Square stores, Beaverton Mall stores (and the airport, which was way before my time), places like Mr. Steak, Wuv's Burgers, etc. Pictures too would be nice.

I wish I had more pictures. I went and saw quite a few movies at the Canyon Drive-In, don't recall which one the family drive-in was. back then that stretch of canyon was pretty empty. I remember when washington square was brand new, but barely.

The name of that arcade really bugs me though. considering the amount of time I spent in there you'd think I'd remember. Maybe I need to search on the ground when I'm there this winter

Hey, PM me when you get into town.

Also, there is now a classic arcade downtown called Ground Kontrol, if you haven't heard of it. Kind of cool place.

I actually like the new Beaverton Mall (again, now known as Cedar Hills Crossing). Good restaurants and I love the Game Trader store there.

I remember just before the old Pay Less they used to have a mini arcade.

BTW, the Family drive in is now the Tigard Cinemas.

Fun to chat with you on old Portland-area memories.

Edited by retrorussell

Hey, PM me when you get into town.

Also, there is now a classic arcade downtown called Ground Kontrol, if you haven't heard of it. Kind of cool place.

I actually like the new Beaverton Mall (again, now known as Cedar Hills Crossing). Good restaurants and I love the Game Trader store there.

I remember just before the old Pay Less they used to have a mini arcade.

BTW, the Family drive in is now the Tigard Cinemas.

Fun to chat with you on old Portland-area memories.

yep, I've been to ground kontrol several times. I didn't realize the tigard cinemas was an old drive in, or I forgot.

and I don't mind the cedar hills crossing now, it was getting a little dumpy before they started the radical remodel. I miss the old mall for nostalgic reasons, having worked there, and my mom worked in the mall until The Emporium closed. she started in the mall in 1978. I spent a lot of time in there. I remember when there was a head shop near the entrance to the emporium.

I'll be in town in january or february. I'm avoiding the crazy season a bit.. less expensive, less crazy.

• Like 1

Tin Pan Alley - West Lafayette, IN

Pizza Keg - West Lafayette, IN

Student Union - Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN

Showbiz Pizza - Lafayette, IN

Aladdin's Castle - Century Plaza, Birmingham, AL

I used to frequent all the Lafayette locations, including Tippecanoe Mall with Aladdin's Castle. Pizza Keg was awesome!

I will never forget the great smell of Showbiz pizza, plastic and pizza. :)

Golden Axe at the Union at Purdue!

Fun City Arcade, Park City Mall, Lancaster, PA

Had about 100 machines including pool tables, air hockey, pinball, projector games and video games.

On 6/21/2009 at 1:08 PM, kidnicky said:

I will be SHOCKED if anyone remembers this one,but when I was a kid I used to go to this one called Funky Monkey or Chunky Monkey or something at a little shopping center in Chelsea,MA. It was with a DeMoulas/Market Basket and an Osco Drug and some other stuff.

-Wayne Me and my brother would always ask for the F.M its was in the mystic mall Chelsea yup next to m.b. now its all done over!. But they had this draw of jus pure fun it felt like heaven's fun spot open up an I would spend my money so fast I had to ask my brother for his!!!... f.y.i there was a cool clothing shop also in the mall owned bye a wrestler... it was an 80's babies clothing store but it was a tight little mall.....

F'n awesome I looked this up. Because I'd like to open up one!!!! Cheers 💚💨🔥

The Gold Mine, in Gleason's Corner Mall, Lake City, Florida!

I loved that place-my Grandmother(Nan)would shop, and leave me with plenty of $ for the Gold Mine and the taco shop next door, they were the last two stores before the back exit, I rarely remember leaving that area.

Props also to the Arcade collection at...I guess it's "Regal Cinema" now, I just can't remember what it was called then, the movie theatre in Lake City-not really an "arcade" per-se, but you wouldn't have known it, they had rows and rows of everything-in hindsight, they were there as an "attraction" for promoting movie ticket sales, but there were plenty enough games to have just spent an entire evening playing them.

(Tearing up a bit...dang. I really wish we still had those places...).

• Like 1

Pinball Plus I and II, Burbank, California.  Usually went to the one on Magnolia (which I think was II) because it was close to home, but occasionally would bike over to the one on Glenoaks (or San Fernando; I forget) to see what they had.

Star Amusements, the Seafront, Bray, Co. Wicklow, Ireland.  There were a string of arcades of varying degrees of sketchiness along the Seafront; went to all of them at one time or another but that's the only one I can remember the name of.

A couple of nameless arcades in Dublin along the quays, but also the giant one across from the Odeon Cinema on O'Connell Street (first place I ever played G-Loc / R360).  One of the sketchier ones was just named 'Amusements' and it was a great place to watch drug busts take place (happened twice while I was in there); practically every game they had was a bootleg, as well.  Pretty sure it was a money-laundering front.

• Like 1

Aladdin's Castle at the Rhode Island Mall (at the time Midland Mall). It was dark, loud, smoky, sometimes rough and all-around the place to be. :) I miss it!

aladdin.jpg

• Like 1

Shout Outs to 2:

Time-Out in the Frontier Mall, Cheyenne, WY for all my early 80's needs and Vector Games!!  Yeah!

Le Mans, mid to late 80's and beyond when I had my own car and could drive there to kick back and get away from it all...

Big shout out to More Fun and Putt's Alley, both of which I spent considerable time in during my teenage years. 

All gone now, unfortunately. :( Nearest arcade to me is Funspot, about two hours away. 

Oh man. Several here -

The first arcade I can remember going in was one attached to a swimming pool on a military base I was living at with my parents.  They rotated out games, but the constant one I used to really spend on was Heavy Barrel.  Also in this arcade - High Speed pinball, 1942. The same base also had an arcade attached to the commissary - most of these were newish though, so think late 80s/early 90s classics like TMNT and Final Fight. I found out much later (just a few months before we moved) there was a third arcade at a rec center on the base as well - I can remember either Space Position or Action Fighter (uncertain which now), my brother said they also had Yie-Air Kung Fu but I don't remember that. 

That's the thing about these arcades - most of them were not arcade chains.  They were a side part of a business or something like that.  Another one I recall was at a pool after we moved to Ohio - only game I remember was Crime City by Taito. Alot of trouble makers went to that pool, so I only went a few times. 

The first actual named arcade I used to troll was Fun 'n Games at the Upper Valley Mall in Springfield, Ohio - now a dead mall.  It died a sudden death along with most remaining arcades after the fighting game fad died down. I think it was gone totally by 2000. 

Edited by SearsRoebuck

I forget the name, but it was in Brooklyn. It had all the classics and some oddities like Pac-Land.

I do remember Aladdin's Castle. I also remember an arcade in the Nanuet Mall.