IGNORED

Tigervision Cartridge Mods

Stan

Just curious, I've looked around (briefly), and can't seem to find any definitive information about whether or not Tigervision games can be made to work on a 7800. What I've done so far:

1. Tore off the plastic things. That didn't work.

2. Carefully pulled apart the cart slightly and look out the remaining plastic guar thing. That didn't work.

3. So, after some awesome hack work and without damaging anything else, I took the cartridge apart, took out the BEGIGGEN board and put it directly into the 7800, to no avail.

So, my question is, is there something else I can do, perhaps to the hardware on the board itself (snip a diode or something)? Or is it that some or all of these Tigervision games simply won't work on a 7800, without perhaps a high-score cartridge? I have Miner2049er for the moment and was hoping to pick up and end it with Jawbreaker, but those dreams may be shattered.

I believe some Tigervision games will work on a 7800 and some simply will not. It depends what game and what model variation of the 7800 you have (there were three). If a particular copy of any particular game does not work on your system, I don't think there's much you can do...but I could be wrong.

Hmmm, Minder didn't have that spring thing there in all. When I took out the plastic thing there was nothing left but the board sticking out like usual. I figured it wasn't going in far enough because I purposefully moved it inside the unit a bit to mark on the plastic stick things how far it was going in. It seemed only about halfway, so I took it out to try. The board is simply there with a metal casing on one side. I'm sure I didn't reverse it because I looked at how it was sitting in there before I inserted it. I even put it in the other way in desperation and got a bunch of jarble (yeah, I figured it wouldn't do anything, but we're talking desperation here). How can I tell the model, serial number? The box says REV B on it, if that means anything, but probably not.

Edited by Stan

You should be able to to cut the prongs down if they are too long, but if you don't mind tearing the label then just turn the trap door around. It was meant to slide up and down. Tigervision just cheaped out on springs later on. They simply turned the door around and placing it in that groove.

Just put the door in this way. You don't really need the springs.

post-7074-1232745794_thumb.jpg

Edit: CPUWIZ beat me to it. Serves me right for walking away from my computer. :P

Edited by Omegamatrix

You didn't read what I wrote. I took EVERYTHING out of it and it still wouldn't work. Even taking the board out of the case and putting it right into the 7800 didn't work. I first took out the prongs and then the shield and then the PCB itself to put into the unit.

Some Tigervision games use 3F bankswitching, are certain 7800's don't like that. It sounds like your 7800 is not compatible as is.

Also you don't have to SHOUT BACK at me if I'm trying to politely help you. I did read your posts very quick as I was going back and forth. Sorry about that.

Jeff, this "stan" guy is a total dolt, pay no mind.

Why do people always interpret my CAPS as shouting back? Imagine it were italicized and it won't seem so bad. Thanks for the input. It seems most likely that the 7800 model I have is simply incompatible. And you know, Shawn, I apologized for coming off on fire earlier, but it seems like you don't care. I'm sorry you're wrong in the matter about the cost of making games, but at least come up with some better insults. You sound like an infantile moron.

Edited by Stan

Why do people always interpret my CAPS as shouting back? Imagine it were italicized and it won't seem so bad. Thanks for the input. It seems most likely that the 7800 model I have is simply incompatible. And you know, Shawn, I apologized for coming off on fire earlier, but it seems like you don't care. I'm sorry you're wrong in the matter about the cost of making games, but at least come up with some better insults. You sound like an infantile moron.

I suggest you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

;)

Hahha, yeah, I guess I don't chat enough and spend enough time on forums really to know proper typing and such. Oh well, I'll keep capping and keep getting slammed I guess. Or I could just html code it up instead of being lazy.

Only thing I can think of is that you may have flipped the PCB over by accident and inserted it upside down. I've done that before. It didn't tear anything up, but of course the game didn't load, either.

I have Miner and Jawbreaker both, and neither has any trouble on my 7800. The carts are not modified in any way. I modded the 7800 to accept them. The mod I did was purely physical, though. If your system is, in fact, incompatible with the 3F bankswitching, I do not know how to change that.

@CPUWIZ: I'd try that flipping the mechanism over and installing a spring, but I'm afraid I'd rip the labels since they are so thin. How'd you get the labels off? Any special trick besides the hair dryer?

No, I thought of that already. I tried it both ways when it wouldn't work one. I made sure before I put it in the first time to check the direction everything was facing. Dind't matter. I think it's the model, but that's not a problem now because I picked up a complete with original everything Atari Jr. for a good price.

Who is that? Yeah, that's another reason why I decided to dump my 7800, I just didn't play the games exclusive to it enough. Tower Toppler, for example, is much better on the NES as Castelian. Crossbow, well, it's pretty cool and I know the guy who programmed it, but it doesn't do much for me. I think the only 7800 specific game I enjoyed was Xenophobe. I thought it was a decent port.

• 3 months later...