IGNORED

Unopened Vectrex console

AngeRepublic

Hi there, I'm looking for a little advice on a system I obtained.

I have an original Vectrex console, brand new in the box. The box has the original seal, price tag still on it...the works, and its in really good condition. It belonged to a friend of mine who's stepfather collected all kind of electronic stuff, never opening most of it. I bought it from my friend with the intention to sell it...however, I'm split on if I should open it. Would you recommend leaving it sealed since that is probably rare to come across or should I open it so I can photograph and show the contents in an item listing?

Thanks for your time :)

Sell it sealed, I have never seen a sealed one for sale but it should pull you around 20% more if it's like other sealed stuff. You don't need to open it to test because the new owner is most likely going to leave it sealed :)

I've seen a sealed one, in near mint condition, sell for 1K+. That is by no means a suggestion that this poster passing by, is gonna pull in the same kind of cash. ;)

Sell it sealed, I have never seen a sealed one for sale but it should pull you around 20% more if it's like other sealed stuff. You don't need to open it to test because the new owner is most likely going to leave it sealed :)

I've seen a sealed one, in near mint condition, sell for 1K+. That is by no means a suggestion that this poster passing by, is gonna pull in the same kind of cash. ;)

Not bad! Thats quite a bit more then 20% over the going rate! I would for sure sell it sealed, looks like opening it could possibly cost him around $800++!!

Hi there, I'm looking for a little advice on a system I obtained.

I have an original Vectrex console, brand new in the box. The box has the original seal, price tag still on it...the works, and its in really good condition. It belonged to a friend of mine who's stepfather collected all kind of electronic stuff, never opening most of it. I bought it from my friend with the intention to sell it...however, I'm split on if I should open it. Would you recommend leaving it sealed since that is probably rare to come across or should I open it so I can photograph and show the contents in an item listing?

Thanks for your time :)

If anyone is going to consider buying this, you need to provide some references for credibility.

I have seen two new ones sell. The first one went for 1K+. It was sold by the guy in Candada who acquired it on eBay for dirt cheap after telling the original seller that he was buying it for his dying brother who had terminal cancer.

The last one that I saw new went for significanty less. That one was sold in 2008. The economy has taken its toll and that includes collectables such as a new Vectrex.

If anyone is going to consider buying this, you need to provide some references for credibility.

I know very little about classic game consoles so I definitely don't have any kind of reputation with the gaming community to fall back on.

What would you recommend would make someone feel comfortable buying from a person who has no history with these types of items? I'd let anyone in the area come look at it in person to verify it...speak on the phone, let them inspect it via webcam?

I really appreciate the help here...my roommate is all over me to open it so he can play it, I know he'll be watching my auction when I put it up and if it doesn't do well I'll deal with the ridicule from him for quite awhile! :)

I know very little about classic game consoles so I definitely don't have any kind of reputation with the gaming community to fall back on.

What would you recommend would make someone feel comfortable buying from a person who has no history with these types of items? I'd let anyone in the area come look at it in person to verify it...speak on the phone, let them inspect it via webcam?

I really appreciate the help here...my roommate is all over me to open it so he can play it, I know he'll be watching my auction when I put it up and if it doesn't do well I'll deal with the ridicule from him for quite awhile! :)

I wouldn't open it. An open Vectrex isn't worth as much as a sealed one.

Where do you live? Post a pic. Do you have an eBay ID?

Not too many people are going to take a chance on a new seller on AtariAge with no references for a more expensive item such as this. Too many people have been burned over the years.

I wouldn't open it. An open Vectrex isn't worth as much as a sealed one.

Where do you live? Post a pic. Do you have an eBay ID?

Not too many people are going to take a chance on a new seller on AtariAge with no references for a more expensive item such as this. Too many people have been burned over the years.

I can understand the hesitation people have, I get hesitant also when I see someone pop up on a forum about things I collect...I've been burned on ebay twice and it definitely changed my buying habits...I do a bit more inspecting before I buy!

I live in Southern California (San Bernardino).

E-mail is AngeRepublic@gmail.com

Ebay ID is Tonydontshave20

Uploaded some photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/AngeRepublic/

-Angela

Edited by AngeRepublic

The first thought that came to mind when I saw the pictures was that sticker on the box. It's been 26 years now but that reminded me of the stickers they put on returned items. Most of it seems faded though so maybe I'm wrong.

post-18097-1232862726_thumb.jpg

The JC Penny tag could also be one of those "proof of purchase" tags that gets put on large items that won't fit into a shopping bag (or expensive items that need an extra level of validation on the purchase). I can't recall something from JC Penny's that far back, but I bought a curtain rod from JCP's about 6 months ago and the sales clerk slapped some sort of "look, this thing was paid for" type sticker on it and then gave me the receipt.

As others have indicated, a sealed Vectrex goes for a lot of money typically.

You may want to closely look at the discoloration on the top of the box just to make sure that there was no moisture damage to the box.

I don't believe the discoloration is from moisture damage, the box is not puffy or crinkly like it absorbed any moisture. When I was helping my friend throw out some of his step father's stuff after he died, I saw this among the pile of electronics stuff, way up high with like a kid's easter basket on top of it covered in dust. The shape of the light part on the top of the box is the shape of the basket when I lifted it off the top. I can only imagine it had been there for decades. My friend's mom wanted all that "junk" thrown away....so I gave them some money for the Vectrex, some other Texas Instruments stuff and some Coleco Vision & Atari games (the boxes on the games are in pretty bad shape, unfortunately).

I didn't know what the sticker on the box was for, I thought maybe it was my friend's mom....her name is Karen, which is written on the sticker. I thought maybe she worked at JC Penny or maybe it had been on layaway or something.

Thanks for the advice on everything, I'll definitely leave it sealed.

I didn't know what the sticker on the box was for, I thought maybe it was my friend's mom....her name is Karen, which is written on the sticker. I thought maybe she worked at JC Penny or maybe it had been on layaway or something.

If the box was not opened, I doubt it would be some kind of "returned" sticker since they'd probably just put the unit right back on the shelf. A layaway tag or something of that nature sounds reasonable, especially since it has someone's name written on it. I can't imagine why they'd put someone's name on a return tag. Btw, what is the amount on the price tag? :D

..Al

If the box was not opened, I doubt it would be some kind of "returned" sticker since they'd probably just put the unit right back on the shelf. A layaway tag or something of that nature sounds reasonable, especially since it has someone's name written on it. I can't imagine why they'd put someone's name on a return tag. Btw, what is the amount on the price tag? :D

..Al

Price tag is 199.99

Hey Angerepublic

The only way to sell something like this with absolutely no feedback or references in my opinion is for the seller to ship first. Just make sure who ever you ship to has good feedback ;)

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tab=AllFeedback

Whoops, I thought she said she had no feedback to offer, my bad ;) I kind of half assed read the topic :)

..Al

JCPenney did put stickers on new merchandise back in the day. I acquired several new Intellivision games last year with the Penney's sticker right on the box. Here is one of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...97069%26fvi%3D1