IGNORED

Unopened Vectrex console

AngeRepublic

I didn't know what the sticker on the box was for, I thought maybe it was my friend's mom....her name is Karen, which is written on the sticker. I thought maybe she worked at JC Penny or maybe it had been on layaway or something.

If the box was not opened, I doubt it would be some kind of "returned" sticker since they'd probably just put the unit right back on the shelf. A layaway tag or something of that nature sounds reasonable, especially since it has someone's name written on it. I can't imagine why they'd put someone's name on a return tag. Btw, what is the amount on the price tag? :D

..Al

JCPenney did put stickers on new merchandise back in the day. I acquired several new Intellivision games last year with the Penney's sticker right on the box. Here is one of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...97069%26fvi%3D1

Different sticker though, not an in store one. I agree that a lay-away sticker makes the most sense with the name and all. Sometimes they take a name too if you are returning an item so it could have made sense. I am in no way trying to belittle this find, I just said that the sticker reminded me of that. Unfortunetly back in the early 80's returns were a big part of electronics, big part.

People make alot of noise about bad consoles and things but I bet percentage wise it is about the same, just more people able to let everyone know now. I remember returning my T.O.B.O.R. after Christmas and seeing stacks of them and game consoles in the return piles, I don't think anybody got a working T.O.B.O.R.

Anyways. did anyone here work at J.C. Pennys back in the day?

When I got my Vectrex back in the 80s, it was actually a store return that someone had brought back to KB Toys. I was walking by the store, saw it sitting in the window, and ran to beg my mom for the $50 to buy it. Happily everything (except the warranty card) was in the box and working. It still works to this day as a matter of fact. ;)

I rescued my Vectrex from a grungy flea market and cleaned it up years ago. Sadly, I just turned it on after reading this, and it plays blind. If you turn the brightness all the way up, you can make out the game. I guess I need to pull it apart and order all the caps that are on it.

(Yikes, it looks like there are 20 or more caps on these boards).