IGNORED

HSC Season 1 Week 4: Space Invaders Deluxe

Deteacher

The sequel to the original space alien vertical shooter. Move your laser base back and forth along the bottom of the screen and shoot endless waves of aliens marching towards you from the top. Shoot the flying saucers for extra points.

post-9712-1232896702_thumb.jpg post-9712-1232896716_thumb.png post-9712-1232897126_thumb.png

Game Information:

Game Name: Space Invaders Deluxe

Released By: Midway, 1980

Game Mode: Default settings

MAME ROMset: invaddlx

Chosen By: Dr Galaga

Post your scores in this thread and I will update the leaderboard throughout the week. The deadline for posting scores will be Saturday, January 31st, 2009 @ 12:00 Noon (EST)

BONUS POINTS: The player with the best tips submitted will earn +2 bonus points this week.

CURRENT HIGH SCORES

1. 8,900 (NE146) [+11]

2. 5,460 (Vectorman0) [+10]

3. 5,080 (Spiceware) [+9]

4. 4,440 (Dr Galaga) [+8]

5. 3,260 (maibock) [+7]

6. 3,250 (Shannon) [+6]

7. 3,050 (LarcenTyler) [+5]

8. 2,450 (JellE) [+4]

9. 2,060 (aftermac) [+3]

10. 1,580 (Osbo) [+2]

CURRENT POINT TOTALS

1. Spiceware [32]

2. Shannon [24]

3. aftermac [23]

4. JellE [15]

5. LarcenTyler [14]

6. maximebeauvais [13]

7. rxd [13]

8. theking21803 [13]

9. Artlover [9]

10. Dr Galaga [9]

11. maibock [9]

12. Osbo [8]

13. LaserHawk [6]

14. MrAtari2600 [5]

Edited by Deteacher

I don't see any difference in the two, personally. I just go by the titles that are suggested to me and find the name of the ROM that matches that title. :) When you load invaddlx up in MAME, the title screen DOES say "Space Invaders Part II", though.

ROMsets are goinig to be the tricky part of managing this HSC. If you have access to the ROM listed, I would encourage you to use that particular ROMset for the purpose of consistency. If you don't, it's not too difficult to search for what you need. ;)

Once I finish my morning coffee, I'll get everything updated. Have fun!

Ok, after looking at the two different ROMsets, there is a rather large difference between the two:

Space Invaders Part II: The UFO is worth 500 points, whereas the UFO in S.I.D. is only worth 200. Since there is such a huge difference, and S.I.D. was the game suggested, I'm will only accept scores from the Space Invaders Deluxe ROM. You might need both ROMsets in order to play S.I.D. so search for both.

Some other differences:

Part II is made by Taito and is in color. S.I.D. is made by Midway and is in B&W. Hope this clears up the confusion. More to come soon!

Ok, after looking at the two different ROMsets, there is a rather large difference between the two:

Space Invaders Part II: The UFO is worth 500 points, whereas the UFO in S.I.D. is only worth 200. Since there is such a huge difference, and S.I.D. was the game suggested, I'm will only accept scores from the Space Invaders Deluxe ROM. You might need both ROMsets in order to play S.I.D. so search for both.

Some other differences:

Part II is made by Taito and is in color. S.I.D. is made by Midway and is in B&W. Hope this clears up the confusion. More to come soon!

Nevermind I figured out what you were talking about. It's the blinking UFO that is 500 in SIP2 and only 200 in SID.

post-3211-1232895483_thumb.png

Edited by Shannon

post-3056-1232902118_thumb.png

I'd stopped playing Space Invaders at the arcade when this came out, probably because we had it on the VCS :D Was not expecting the saucer to replace invaders!

Per KLOV you can get some nice bonus points

On any wave, if the last alien you kill is from the bottom two rows you will get a special 'fireworks' display and a 500 point bonus. If the bottom leftmost invader is the last killed, the bonus is 1,000 points.

MAME OS X's screenshots don't include the overlays and such. Here's what I see full blown video extras, looks great but the graphics are distorted (notice how the lines that make up the letters are sometimes skinny, sometimes fat) and the aliens look weird and "jiggle" as they move around the screen because of the distortion:

post-3056-1232903228_thumb.png

and w/out the Bezel - it uses to much vertical room and the graphics are still distorted

post-3056-1232903240_thumb.png

I prefer to use just the color overlay so the graphics don't get distorted.

post-3056-1232903244_thumb.png

Edited by SpiceWare

That's very cool! :)

I just finished playing both versions. I also noticed that the TAITO version (which we're not playing) doesn't seem to have the "splitting aliens." Also, I don't know if my Taito ROM is corrupted, but when you do the scoring trick (either the 500 or the 1,000 point trick) the game resets to the title screen. This doesn't happen on my Midway ROM. I'll have to look for a different Taito ROM, I suppose.

I'll try harder to eliminate any confusion in future weeks. I'm still learning here. Be gentle with me. :)

Space Invaders Part II: The UFO is worth 500 points, whereas the UFO in S.I.D. is only worth 200.

There are a few differences. The UFO as you mentioned is one. Also the stage progression is different. The invaders start splitting in Stage 2 in the Midway version, but in the Taito version they split on Stage 4, so there is a slight difficulty difference.

Aside from that it's just the cosmetic hardware differences. The upright mirrored cabinets had different moon backgrounds and bezels. I actually prefer the Part 2 background since it's bright red with a blue moon. Not to mention it's the cabinet I grew up playing :P I dont think they have that background in Mame yet though..

Anyway at the end of the day the Taito verson is the original, so it's always my preference :D

Part II is also B&W. The main upright version was black and white and used overlays for color. When you see the color version, that was primarily the cocktail version, or in Europe used in the non-mirror uprights. Just some info :)

Anyway.. my score to come!

Ok I'm rusty. I should be able to score over 10k easily on it without even trying (my lifetime high when I was about 12 years old was in the 10's of thousands.. SI was a huge part of my childhood and a total obsession :P), but my first run in Mame I only got 6,000 after dying 3 times in the 2nd stage, and the 2 runs I tried after that even worse :lol: As indicated above, I don't really like SI Deluxe and much prefer SI part 2. Maybe it's mental but you may think they're the same but to me they have a very subtle difference in play. Not to mention I HATE the Deluxe background. I wish Mame would friggin offer the Taito Part 2 background.. but apparently it's not too well known unless you were there back in the day.

post-31-1232946689_thumb.png

Anyway.. see attached for .inp file. I used MameUI32 0.129u1 (Jan 15 2009). To load a .inp file, select the correct game, then click on "File" -> "Playback Input," and load it up and watch. You can record you're own playing by going to "file" -> "Play and record input".

NE1_invaddlx.zip

I just have a general question.

will it be a good idea to attach the rom with the original post? OR you are not allowed to do that.

OR maybe host it somewhere so everyone will have the same rom version

I do that with the 8-bit HSC... but I also have permission from one of the folks from Atarimania, where I get the ROMs. I don't know what the "legality" is of doing that... but it might not be a bad idea, if we could do that too.

I just have a general question.

will it be a good idea to attach the rom with the original post? OR you are not allowed to do that.

OR maybe host it somewhere so everyone will have the same rom version

I do that with the 8-bit HSC... but I also have permission from one of the folks from Atarimania, where I get the ROMs. I don't know what the "legality" is of doing that... but it might not be a bad idea, if we could do that too.

I will speak to admin about the possibility of doing this. I know that asking for ROMs is a very touchy subject, so I don't know if it will be allowed, but I'll look into it.

Generally, though, a simple Google search will usually get you what you need.