IGNORED

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

mimo

Would using ordinary Crest White Toothpaste work? I heard it's good to do as an alternative to retr0brite.

I can't see this working but I would love to see the results. It could also end up being a longer process than peroxide if it works that is. Most of the XE/XL computers that I have done have normally only taken a day under a nice ray of sunlight beaming through my windows. I still say peroxide is your best option really but it won't hurt to experiment.

Crest White Toothpaste:

Pros:

-easy over the counter purchase

-leaves your Atari with a minty fresh scent

-you can brush your teeth while you work

Cons:

-might be quite expensive compared to peroxide

-might not actually work at all

-risk of others' stares while you apply toothpaste to your computer

Crest White Toothpaste:

Pros:

-easy over the counter purchase

-leaves your Atari with a minty fresh scent

-you can brush your teeth while you work

Cons:

-might be quite expensive compared to peroxide

-might not actually work at all

-risk of others' stares while you apply toothpaste to your computer

I'm not actually de-yellowing an Atari, I'm doing my C64. But if it works, I might do it again when I get my Atari computers.

Just like to make a teeny weeny observation before bed ... but aren't you merely bleaching the shells when you use peroxide, rather than cleaning them?

I was wondering if sticky label remover might remove some of the grime you get on these things.:?

Edited by Tickled_Pink

Just like to make a teeny weeny observation before bed ... but aren't you merely bleaching the shells when you use peroxide, rather than cleaning them?

I was wondering if sticky label remover might remove some of the grime you get on these things.:?

No - it's not grime / dirt on them. There is a chemical reaction that takes place in the plastic which causes the yellowing. The peroxide combined with UV (which ironically is what causes the yellowing in the 1st place) reverses this reaction.

Finally getting around to restoring a 1050 drive. It looks finished in these photos, but it will still need another hour or two in full sunlight to remove the last little streaks. I have a hi-res photo of the label which I will be reprinting. I am using 40 vol cream developer. This stuff is dangerous!

Before:

post-650-0-44218700-1314239039_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-54667800-1314239040_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-15059400-1314239042_thumb.jpg

Current (3 treatments 50 minutes each):

post-650-0-46644900-1314239043_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-62936900-1314239044_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-09521200-1314239046_thumb.jpg

I hope to have the drive finished this weekend.

• Like 3

Finally getting around to restoring a 1050 drive. It looks finished in these photos, but it will still need another hour or two in full sunlight to remove the last little streaks. I have a hi-res photo of the label which I will be reprinting. I am using 40 vol cream developer. This stuff is dangerous!

Before:

post-650-0-44218700-1314239039_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-54667800-1314239040_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-15059400-1314239042_thumb.jpg

Current (3 treatments 50 minutes each):

post-650-0-46644900-1314239043_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-62936900-1314239044_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-09521200-1314239046_thumb.jpg

I hope to have the drive finished this weekend.

looks nice...

i saw you talking about it on irc earlier... and this evening mrs wanted to go to the beuty supply store... i figured hey! lets check prices!

well i ask the girl, she went and showed me, i looked they have 20%/30%/40% and i promptly fergot the price (IIRC ~$15)

but then the nice girl asked me, if not for hair then what do i want it for?

and i: if i told you, you wouldnt believe me, or wonder of my sanity

her: oh i have heard everything, nothing would surprise me'

I: you sure?

her: try me :')

I: when classic computers and video games, such as atari, get aged and discolored from being in sunlight, and using peroxide, and putting them in the sun reverses this effect

her: :'O

mrs: hahaha, for some strange reason, when someone says 'i have heard it all', he has something you HAVEN'T heard...

her: well, i guess i have NOW heard it all...

then i spent a ton of money because the mrs said 'please?'

(and anyone is is married knows, when a wife says please, there aint no question about it ;')

sloopy.

• Like 1

A week ago, I've finished de-yellowing a few keys on my Atari 65XE keyboard ...

Well I've used part of the retr0bright recipe though!

Hydrogen Peroxide 30% vol and Vanish Oxy Action ONLY. Left for 3 hours out (too sunny and hot lately in Athens...)

I think it's way better now!

See

IMG_1877.jpg BEFORE XE_READY3.jpg AFTER

Edited by ndial

Weather's shit here at the minute and I'm dying to do a test run on an old ST mouse. It's overcast so would it still work or would you have to do with a direct UV source? What other UV sources could I use?

I did that 1200XL in about four hours yesterday on the kitchen windowsill and the watery sunlight was in and out from behind the clouds all day. It wasn't badly yellowed at all, though. However, I once left a 1084S wearing its third coat of peroxide overnight in the kitchen and by morning the last of the yellow streaks had gone. Mind you, a couple of weeks later they came back, but that's another story. ;)

Edited by flashjazzcat

Retro-brightening in germany is very easy.

Just enter a DIY-store and buy some of 'Mellerud mildew remover'.

http://www.mellerud.de/de/shop/produktdetails/shoparticle/schimmel-entferner-aktivgel-0-5-l/tg/catalog/product/view/1300/mellerud_bio.html

I've paid EUR 7,99 for 500ml.

While the case (an old second hand 130XE with non homogenous staining) laid in the september sun, I've applied some spray 4 times (when the case looked dry). After 5 hours, I've got the attached result.

I've got here an Atari ST with very bad yellowing, I'm quite curious how that will come out - so that will be my next victim.

BTW: Did anybody repot an Atari XL/XE into an Atari ST/Mega STE case? There would be enough room for some enhancements, build in drive(s) etc. without breaking the overall Atari look. Is there demand for a ST keyboard to XL/XE adapter?

BR

Irgendwer

post-7778-0-01054500-1316184977_thumb.jpg

post-7778-0-01108000-1316184985_thumb.jpg

Retro-brightening in germany is very easy.

Just enter a DIY-store and buy some of 'Mellerud mildew remover'.

http://www.mellerud....llerud_bio.html

I've paid EUR 7,99 for 500ml.

While the case (an old second hand 130XE with non homogenous staining) laid in the september sun, I've applied some spray 4 times (when the case looked dry). After 5 hours, I've got the attached result.

I've got here an Atari ST with very bad yellowing, I'm quite curious how that will come out - so that will be my next victim.

BTW: Did anybody repot an Atari XL/XE into an Atari ST/Mega STE case? There would be enough room for some enhancements, build in drive(s) etc. without breaking the overall Atari look. Is there demand for a ST keyboard to XL/XE adapter?

BR

Irgendwer

Results look great, might have to try the mildew remover method myself.

It's something that's been on my mind for a while. I was inclined to use an original ST case (minus PSU and floppy drive), but I haven't been able to get hold of one. In any case, I have a couple of STFMs whose cases might be better off housing 8-bit innards. ;) Maybe one day, when I get time.

Mildew-remover results great, BTW.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Second day with my little anti-fungus-friend.

The keys where very badly yellowed and it took a little bit longer (7h). I also can confirm the influence of sunlight: Since the september sun do not stand so high anymore (see the shadows) the brightening was not so pronounced in the shadowed areas (I rotated the keys sometimes but of course not constantly).

Another round after cleaning could made the brightening perfect, but I was to lazy and overall I'm very content with the look.

:thumbsup:

post-7778-0-04301300-1316295273_thumb.jpg

post-7778-0-56736800-1316295280_thumb.jpg

post-7778-0-18460700-1316295292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1