IGNORED

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

mimo

Ok maybe I missed something, but how did the person with the SNES do it? Looks like he used a gel in a plastic bag for his approach. Is this the same gel as everyone else has been making? I still haven't tried this because I'm nervous of making everything look blotchy.

Tempest

Same here; that would close off RedWolf's blog absolutely perfectly.

Edit: Stop Press!! I've found Eastofeastside's results - here's the pictures, be impressed!!! I hope I'm not stealing his thunder.

picture2xxx001.jpg

picture2xxx002.jpg

picture2xxx005.jpg

It took him ten days using 3% peroxide, but what a result!!

Looks very nice but 10 days!!! :!:

I know you said slower is better but I think I'll stick with my my 12% :D

10 days to reverse over 10 years of discolouration? How fast do you want it, would you like it done while the adverts are on the TV?

Sheesh, the Playstation generation have no patience or span of attention these days....

:lol:

Edited by Merlin

10 days to reverse over 10 years of discolouration? How fast do you want it, would you like it done while the adverts are on the TV?

Sheesh, the Playstation generation have no patience or span of attention these days....

:lol:

I was born in the 60's there wasn't many PlayStations around when I was growing up.

I was a Atari / C64 man back in the day.... :)

^^^^ Sense of humour by-pass ^^^^ :D

Ok maybe I missed something, but how did the person with the SNES do it? Looks like he used a gel in a plastic bag for his approach. Is this the same gel as everyone else has been making? I still haven't tried this because I'm nervous of making everything look blotchy.

Tempest

As far as I know, it was in a plastic bowl, with the edges to the plastic "lid" filled in with aluminium foil. If you look closely you can just make this out from the picture.

Edited by Merlin

Well I finally plucked up the courage to do my Atari 800.

I forgot to take a pic of the before but as you can see I've haven't got round to doing the Rom/Ram cover so you can at least see what the whole unit looked like before.

a800rb.jpga800covrb.jpg

Well I must say I'm absolutely "over the moon with the results" :lust:

Once I do the Rom/Ram cover, it will look like a new freshly opened Atari 800, as it was nearly 30 years ago amazing…

Mix used (see previous posts)

The Atari was left for approx 4 hours of direct sunlight and the paste was re-applied 4 or 5 timesThe temp here in London, UK was a round 11-13 Centigrade, approx 53 Fahrenheit, which I think was ideal.

p. s. Also did:-

Amiga 1200 Top case & Keyboard result: Perfect.

Apple][e (Europlus) Monitor III result: Excellent.

SNES top Cabinet result: Still work in progress.

That 800 looks like an excellent result.

Currently I am doing a 520STE that was very badly yellowed on the left hand side. It has had 8 hours under UV, and made a little progress.

Having another go overnight.

Anyone else done an ST? this one seems to be a real stubborn b@$7@rd. I did a badly yellowed 1050 case at the same time, and that has come out great :???:

That 800 looks like an excellent result.

Currently I am doing a 520STE that was very badly yellowed on the left hand side. It has had 8 hours under UV, and made a little progress.

Having another go overnight.

Anyone else done an ST? this one seems to be a real stubborn b@$7@rd. I did a badly yellowed 1050 case at the same time, and that has come out great :???:

Hi mimo,

Thanks for your comments...

re: your ST have you tried the process under direct sunlight? I know that's asking at lot at the moment, as here in the UK we've had very little but the results speak for themselves.

My Atari 800 was done in just one go in just 4 hours (although it wasn't too bad to begin with)

After this last batch, I think I'll hold off getting a UV light and use that big Yellow ball in the sky. Spring is just around the corner so we should be getting some better periods of sunshine (I say should)

not seen any sunshine for a while, infact I think I am growing webbed feet :D

If we get a sunny day I will give it a go, but I have used the UV lamp on several occasions with great results

I've read all these posts and I've got some TI-99/4A carts I want to try this on!

For those who have had great results:

Would you please tell me where you purchased these products to make this stuff?

Are all these products available from one retailer on the web?

I want to start small before I move on to larger items to clean.

Thanks in advance,

Trem

Hydrogen Peroxide- Sally Hair Supplys

Oxy cleaner- supermarket

Xanthan gum- health food store or some supermarkets

if you cant get xanthan gum, use corn flour or Arrowroot- again from a supermarket

Blackout bulb- Electronics store or if you live near in a sunny place sunshine will be a good substitute, but you need to re-apply the gel frequently to keep the surfaces wet

All the stuff is readily available which makes this so cool (it is highly addictive though, stuff you thought looked minty begins to look crap when you treat something else and compare the two)

Edited by mimo

more success today, we had a rare visit from the sun god and I managed to get the STe and all the keys into the sun for about 4 hours.

Difference is amazing, keys look perfect, but I think another go for the case is in order.

Fingers crossed for the orange orb to make another appearance tomorrow

Ok, I just saw this for the first time -- I don't usually look at the 8-bit forum, so I hadn't noticed until it got linked from the 2600 one. This is really awesome, and the chemical explanation is very interesting. I wish I had some horribly-yellowed plastic to try it on!

You guys are famous, the Wiki has had over 75,000 hits!! The counter was only at 800 on Monday night and now it's broken!!

Well done to all, you deserve to share in this.....

:D

I noticed yesterday that this process was even highlighted on hackaday.com.

more success today, we had a rare visit from the sun god and I managed to get the STe and all the keys into the sun for about 4 hours.

Difference is amazing, keys look perfect, but I think another go for the case is in order.

Fingers crossed for the orange orb to make another appearance tomorrow

That's good to hear... :)

There's no real substitute for the Sun. After all, nothing on Earth is going to give you that much UV magic!

The only snag is if it decides to come out or not... :cool:

It even got a mention on the Guardian online; it's a pity they got my surname wrong, but at least I'm spared millions of e-mails...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/.../mar/04/gadgets

We is teh l33t!!!

I've just read that: excellent! :D

Looks like my new 520ST is going to need the treatment. On its own, it doesn't look too bad, but next to the 65XE... makes me realize how nipping clean the 8 bit case actually is. Do we have many (pictorial) examples of this process working on ST cases? I remember someone saying they were quite difficult.

Edited by flashjazzcat

It even got a mention on the Guardian online; it's a pity they got my surname wrong, but at least I'm spared millions of e-mails...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/.../mar/04/gadgets

We is teh l33t!!!

I've just read that: excellent! :D

Looks like my new 520ST is going to need the treatment. On its own, it doesn't look too bad, but next to the 65XE... makes me realize how nipping clean the 8 bit case actually is. Do we have many (pictorial) examples of this process working on ST cases? I remember someone saying they were quite difficult.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be posting my results on my 1040STe, pretty impressive, just a couple of bits that are being stubborn.

Getting better results with sun light than Blacklight bulb.

Unfortunately today's sunshine quickly turned to hail/snow/rain this :x afternoon