Jump to content
mimo

How to remove yellowing from an old Atari case

Recommended Posts

just check the UV index for your area, available through many weather services and sites... you can even check historical data... when it's high put the stuff out... You can have all the right wavelength at different times of year.. you'd be surprised that a sunburn can happen in winter. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

My next little project is a UV led box, I've watched a few video's and the experience seemed pretty good. It seems with the leds and a bit of added controlled heat that around 4.5hrs seems perfect.I have a couple of boxes that are perfect and with weather in the UK being patchy at best with the morons who steal anything I think its my best bet. I have a 130XE that just has to have it done, with various attempts and a pretty mixed yellowing it just looks hideous. Add the two breadbin 64's, my 800 and my Amiga 500 which looks like it's going orange I think I need to fix these :)

 

There's 2 ways to do it, one has H202 in the box and the other is the wrapped saloon cream, from a money pov I thing the saloon cream wins but is it the best way?

 

The peroxide is about 20UK inc delivery, the cream around 8 - 10 but you use less of the cream than the peroxide, but I care more about the finish / risks..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

 

 

 

The peroxide is about 20UK inc delivery, the cream around 8 - 10 but you use less of the cream than the peroxide, but I care more about the finish / risks..

That's bloody crazy expensive, I'm sure it was a couple of quid for a litre pre covid. 
If you can afford it the liquid in a container would be safer as no chance of it drying out and causing blooming 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, should have said it was a 5L pack..

 

After a bit more reading / watching I will go the peroxide route as the streaking gets caused by the cling film / saran wrap not being move, obviously I want to avoid that.

 

So I seem to have a plan and with some help a selection of materials. I know adding heat helps the speed but adding controlled heat will send the cost up and I will be on a budget.

 

In the meantime my Ultimate 1MB has just arrived but I'll leave that till tomorrow as my eyes are sore..Need new glasses...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

 

My next little project is a UV led box, I've watched a few video's and the experience seemed pretty good. It seems with the leds and a bit of added controlled heat that around 4.5hrs seems perfect.I have a couple of boxes that are perfect and with weather in the UK being patchy at best with the morons who steal anything I think its my best bet. I have a 130XE that just has to have it done, with various attempts and a pretty mixed yellowing it just looks hideous. Add the two breadbin 64's, my 800 and my Amiga 500 which looks like it's going orange I think I need to fix these :)

 

There's 2 ways to do it, one has H202 in the box and the other is the wrapped saloon cream, from a money pov I thing the saloon cream wins but is it the best way?

 

The peroxide is about 20UK inc delivery, the cream around 8 - 10 but you use less of the cream than the peroxide, but I care more about the finish / risks..

Hi Paul,

 

After many years of using the standard peroxide cream and sunlight I've also decided to have a go at setting up a UV box with liquid peroxide. I've never had any issue with blooming but the liquid peroxide method should be much more straight forward and foolproof. I've had the stuff aside for a few weeks now, I did a test filling a container with water which is large enough to fit the width and length of an A1200 case half and estimate around 10 litres of peroxide will be needed to fully cover. I have a bunch of systems that need to be done. It's hard to judge whether my breadbin case for my Ultimate64 has yellowed at all, it's a uniform beige inside and out including under the badge but I'm sure it should be slightly more grey. I'll give that a go anyway. My main 060 A1200 from the 90's is in a tower, there's so many mods in there from that time I haven't found the courage to attempt to pull it apart to spruce it up but my secondary A1200 with a Blizzard PPC that I used to use in the recording studio will be the first to go in the peroxide, it's not super yellow but definately not the shade it used to be as the desk was in front of a window when it was in use. I have a spare A1200 that I did peroxide in the sun about 5 years ago which was then looking perfect. It's been covered and kept in a light proof box stored away ever since. I took a look at it a couple of weeks ago and it's very discoloured now which goes to prove what I read online that the re-yellowing is not caused by re-exposure. I did read some years ago that the peroxide only affects the bromine on the surface and eventually the bromine molecules migrate back to the surface of the plastic. This can apparently happen more rapidly if stored anywhere in the heat.

Edited by Tezz
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aha, more peroxide then, can you reuse that peroxide?

 

I mean straight away, do 1 set and then when done immediately do others.

 

My poor old A500 just looks dejected, you can almost hear it saying "Orange lives matter"...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes we can keep reusing the liquid peroxide many times, it shouldn't evaporate from the container any faster than water would so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll funnel the peroxide back into the bottles when I've finished. It's best to remove the led strip from the container as a peroxide spill can damage them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

My next little project is a UV led box

Can I build something like that to fix my "programmer's tan"?  Since the advent of LCD monitors, I don't even get the benefit of CRT radiation.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Can I build something like that to fix my "programmer's tan"?  Since the advent of LCD monitors, I don't even get the benefit of CRT radiation.

capillus full body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the parts are on the way, will start with small stuff to see how it goes and then get more peroxide, I hope my SpeedPak stuff arrives undamaged.. (the UV bits), got 5L of peroxide on the way locally and turkey foil, again, locally..

 

Both my breadbins need doing, the A500 amiga needs doing, my US snes is also on the list and my Atari 800, probably the drives XL and XE's too...

 

I'll be finished sometime this century.....Maybe...

 

Would have liked a fish tank for perfect clarity but the budget does not stretch anywhere near that...Clearest plastic box I can find..Probably my storage boxes..

 

I see that the hospitals are now using robots with UV tubes in clusters to sanitise the rooms and also some escalator hand rails are being done by UV in the escalator housing..Wonder if I can borrow the robot :)

 

All my machines done in an hour :)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Well the parts are on the way, will start with small stuff to see how it goes and then get more peroxide, I hope my SpeedPak stuff arrives undamaged.. (the UV bits), got 5L of peroxide on the way locally and turkey foil, again, locally..

 

Both my breadbins need doing, the A500 amiga needs doing, my US snes is also on the list and my Atari 800, probably the drives XL and XE's too...

 

I'll be finished sometime this century.....Maybe...

 

Would have liked a fish tank for perfect clarity but the budget does not stretch anywhere near that...Clearest plastic box I can find..Probably my storage boxes..

 

I see that the hospitals are now using robots with UV tubes in clusters to sanitise the rooms and also some escalator hand rails are being done by UV in the escalator housing..Wonder if I can borrow the robot :)

 

All my machines done in an hour :)

just take it easy with the 800, I ruined a 400 using peroxide in a tank and sunlight, just thought it could go a little lighter. Ended up being pale beige with white patches :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you that man..I'll just be happy for it to be lighter and less:

 

500full.jpg

 

Or trump-730x548.jpeg

 

For our USA friends..

 

For clarity, we all know orange person 2 but citrus fruit 1 is David Dickinson, a UK C list TV personality who works as an antique dealer and does TV presenting based on the same theme. He's also a convicted fraudster who was done for mail order fraud when he was younger..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thank you that man..I'll just be happy for it to be lighter and less:

 

500full.jpg

 

Or trump-730x548.jpeg

 

For our USA friends..

 

For clarity, we all know orange person 2 but citrus fruit 1 is David Dickinson, a UK C list TV personality who works as an antique dealer and does TV presenting based on the same theme. He's also a convicted fraudster who was done for mail order fraud when he was younger..

What brought this on?  Where is the admonishment for talking politics?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm talking orange and both are very orange..And rather like my 800....Totally ON topic...Apart from that I could not think of another person who was orange..

 

Put your pitchfork down please :)

 

And sod it, I got my first 5L of peroxide, I thought I'd wait but after Tezz saying it would need around 10 I decided that I'd not wait..Come on Speedpak, get my leds out of China...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pitch fork here.  But if I had done what you did (shown a pic of another politician as an example of humor (humour)), I would had stern warning.  Nuff said on this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

No pitch fork here.  But if I had done what you did (shown a pic of another politician as an example of humor (humour)), I would had stern warning.  Nuff said on this.  

Trust me, it wasn't about 'that man', was truly about the colouring of my Atari, I thought I'd 'that man' as many would have no clue who the first guy was. Its not double standards either, I get stamped on when I have mentioned something political as well. As said, all about colour..

 

mods please remove if offensive or rule breaking..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is the second one (seriously, no clue)

 

Good old Oompa lumpahs...

 

Edit: looked at the pic name for the lady..Still no clue..

 

Edit 2: Ah, thank you google....A so called A lister...

 

Edit 3: I did think about using an Oompa but I actually thought people might get the hump...And after that I just could not think of any other soul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Who is the second one (seriously, no clue)

 

Good old Oompa lumpahs...

 

Edit: looked at the pic name for the lady..Still no clue..

 

Edit 2: Ah, thank you google....A so called A lister...

 

Edit 3: I did think about using an Oompa but I actually thought people might get the hump...And after that I just could not think of any other soul..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooki

 

She was on a short-lived (although IMO too long-lived) "documentary" ;) about the Jersey Shore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, toddtmw said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snooki

 

She was on a short-lived (although IMO too long-lived) "documentary" ;) about the Jersey Shore.

 

Ah, have heard of Jersey Shore, the Brits did a rip off of it called Geordie Shore..

 

Thank you for that, I'm not Mr Social media or reality TV keen so all these people mean nothing to me....I just saw the adverts for that those shows and my daft brain for some reason seems to store all the most useless info out there. My brain is a like a non upgraded ZX81...(that has been turned off)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please....no politics. I am not a moderator so I am just asking nicely.....please, no politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no politics...Its about orange things like my 800, he's not even named nor is it about him other than the colour....It was going to be an Ommpah lumpa initially but I thought it might be seen as politically incorrect.

 

Can we just let it go, I have no wish to input that sort of stuff or religion in to threads, the fact you associate that person with it does not mean that the post was about that..Purely about retrobrighting my sad old orange 800 ok....

 

Jebus, I wish I had known about Snooki now and used her...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

Jebus, I wish I had known about Snooki now and used her...

Not knowing that pretty much the entire state of New Jersey has already used her!  You'd be worried about more than things turning orange after that experience I can guarantee it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...