IGNORED

swords and serpents "end of game "

broncoman

So is this the only confirmed game in the history of gaming where it's impossible to defeat the last boss?

it sounds like the game has a finite ending that the developers intended. Just not very satisfying. Athena for the NES was much worse. You literally can't beat the boss without some very specific, secret stuff.

So I guess the only way to win then is with the wizard and using the walls spell. This guy here reached the dragon/serpent with the knight, but obviously couldn't proceed:

http://youtu.be/orXl1sop84c?t=2m21s

I would love to see a video (or even screenshots) of the final few parts of the end game, including destroying the wall, getting the three treasures, seeing the initials, then I guess warping back.

it sounds like the game has a finite ending that the developers intended. Just not very satisfying. Athena for the NES was much worse. You literally can't beat the boss without some very specific, secret stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a "boss" because the battle is not even there. The game is just over. Regarding Athena...many NES games are like that, so they can sell strategy guides (if you do/don't do specific unintuitive things earlier, you are totally screwed at the conclusion). Ultima V did that, and I pretty much gave up on the series (here's yer damn box ya creep).

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My older Brother and I spent many hours on this game and had a great time together. The first time we made it to the dragon we were so excited and nervous about the last battle! The dragon itself was rendered really beautifully which added to the excitement of the impending showdown!.

I was the wizard and after a few trips getting stuck at the dragon, I learned to save up destroy walls spells to get into reach dragon. My Brother figured out how to get the knight in as well backing into the room from some odd angle a la an Atari combat tank skip over the barrier move.

He made me wait to grab the final treasures until he figured this out so I didn't get to fight the dragon alone. Needless to say we were fired up when he FINALLY made it in and with a '1, 2, 3!' we snagged all the treasures THEN... nothing but initials... we were way beyond disappointed. Never played it again, which was a pity as this game would have had such a high replay value if you got SOMETHING ANYTHING as a reward at the end.

Heck at least in TOT you saw the flashing treasure on the map after defeating the Minotaur. This was pretty lame in itself, but something, and something that went a long way to encouraging a replay.

As a dev myself I don't know why the coder didn't scale down the beautifully rendered dragon to save just enough space to give us a satisfying ending. As awesome as the dragon looked, we would have liked the game so much more if the ending wasn't so lame, even if the dragon looked like something out of Adventure.

• 1 year later...

Sure, it's been a while, but it's still a good thread to have around - and bump every so often.

We will cover this game eventually on The Intellivisionaries. I have a similar story - sending a letter to Imagic and getting a response from Kathleen Boothe (I still have it, and will post it here if I can dig it up). Great game but quite a letdown at the end.

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder if all are on the same game. Intellivision and NES have the game with virtually identical title but completely different game play. NES version has ruby gear one needs to collect and the final few floors requires a fair amount of up and down travelling to get through. Intellivision doesn't use 3D first person view.

• 2 months later...

I played this game a lot in the 1980's when I was a teenager. My cousin and I would team up sometimes, and I also played the single player version. But my cuz was (and still is) an Intellivision pro. I watched him play the game all the way through by himself, with him using both hand controllers and playing both characters. He did it to show me the last level and the dragon because my skill level was poor enough that us playing together just held him back. But he really wanted me to see the dragon. Plus he is one of the biggest show-offs you'll ever meet!

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

OMG....AT 47 YEARS OLD I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THE GAME I LOVED AS A CHILD AND SPENT LITERALLY 100'S OF HOUR'S  TRYING TO BEAT WAS A SCAM...I FEEL LIKE I HAVE BEEN KICKED IN THE NUTS...I WAS TALKING WITH SOME OF THE YOUNGER GENERATION ABOUT THE FIRST GAMES I PLAYED AND IT GOT ME THINKING ABOUT SWORDS AND SERPENTS....WOW WHAT A RIP OFF