IGNORED

Looks like another Famiclone's surfaced: the Retro Entertainment System

Ace_1

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/index.asp?Pag...&ProdID=365

Looks like Retro-Bit made their own Yobo FC Game Console, named Retro Entertainment System. Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these? I'm curious to see if they're like the RetroDuo's NES side(compatible with Castlevania III, near-perfect audio, etc.).

Edited by Ace_1

I question the quality of these clone consoles.I mean under $15.00 for an NES clone?,you get what you pay for.Anyone know what the quality is on these things?Better than nothing i guess,and its cool someone is remaking the classic consoles.It would be nice knowing you bought something that wont fall apart in less than a year.

For something that is so inexpensive, I can't imagine that it has the insides of a "Retro Duo" or something that is as accurate. Just a guess, but it is probably gonna be placed closer to the Yobo rankings of reproductions.

Also, there is a guy at my local mall that is trying to sell them for (if I can remember correctly) $50.

For $15 it can't be that bad. I mean $15, even in a depression, is only $15. If it plays half the NES games halfway decent, it's not a rip off.

I just got an estimate and it's $26 with shipping. I might have to order this, even hating the NES.

Edited by Atarifever

Honestly, I'll be astonished to see a clone system that DOESN'T use the NOAC, with all its glitches. Even the supposedly more compatible RetroDuo seems like too much of a compromise for me. My question has always been: is it REALLY that hard to completely duplicate the NES, or does no one want to put in the R&D when these other clones are "good enough" and are ready to hit the assembly line?

I'm interested in the FC3+, but again, it just seems like I'm giving up too much.

Hi guys I am actually from Stone Age Gamer. Saw this post on the site stats.

The Retro Entertainment System pretty much looks exactly like the FC Game Console that Yobo makes. For all I know they come out of the same factory. The only difference is the Black/Red color scheme that replaces the Indigo/White of the FC Game Console.

It has the same problems most clones have. I haven't tried it with Castlevania games, so I'm not sure if it has a slightly better compatibility like the Retro Duo has.

We also sell the FC3 Plus that someone brought up. However so far I have gotten missed impressions from customers. Some good responses and some bad. We sold a lot over the holiday and have already had a few returns. One thing I can say about the FC Game Console and Retro Entertainment System is that we have never had a return. Of course that may be partly to them being so cheap that most people don't bother returning, but from my experience they are pretty durable. Carts fit in pretty snug so you don't risk accidentally bumping it and screwing up your game.

I actually tested this once and violently shook a RES pretty violently while playing and it did not skip a beat.

One thing I personally have suggested to Yobo and would like to see is that they get rid of these proprietary controllers they use for the GN Twin and FC3 (the GEN-X has the same problem as well). The ability to use original controllers is a big plus in my book.

If you guys have any questions about these systems I can look into them for you, but of course if you want 100% compatibility you need to get the original. :cool:

SAG-

Thanks for the post, and welcome to AA! It's excellent of you to take the time to fill us in on these little details. Since these consoles are so cheap, it's hard to get an accurate review of them without simply buying one and hoping for the best. Well, you could also watch some stoners on YouTube, but that's another story entirely. :P

Anyway, my questions are less about the consoles themselve than the companies that are churning them out: Retro and Yobo. What kinds of companies are they? Do they have a public front for feedback and customer service? Or, are they just a name brand that's slapped on these clones as they're pumped out of a factory in China?

Have they given any indication that they plan to advance the design of their clones? Are they receptive to what the customers want (and do they care about those returned FC3+ units?)

Anyway, my questions are less about the consoles themselve than the companies that are churning them out: Retro and Yobo. What kinds of companies are they? Do they have a public front for feedback and customer service?

Honestly these companies are often hard to find. I have yet to see a website for Retro-bit even though they have been an emerging company in the retro gaming business over the last year or so. The only way we can get a hold of anything Retro-bit is through Innex, inc. They make more than just famiclones. They make N64 controllers, Genesis controllers, dust covers and a few other items. The weird thing is, for example, their N64 controllers are exactly like the Sumo N64 controllers. The only thing different is that they put their logo on them and their packaging is different.

Yobo does have a website (not a good one) with some contact information. Yobo does show up at some classic gaming expos as well. We saw them at the CGE 2K7. They have always been nice to deal with, but their items are not always of the highest quality. As for customer service, they do not seem to like to deal directly with the customer (and by customer I mean you guys, not the store), but they do credit us back for returned units.

I know Yobo does manufacture the FC Dual that Play 'N Trade put their name on as well.

Or, are they just a name brand that's slapped on these clones as they're pumped out of a factory in China?

In most cases I assume yes. Take the GEN-X Dual Station and the GN Twin for example. Although the GEN-X and GN Twin look different their controllers are EXACTLY the same. They even use the same proprietary controller connection. We buy replacement controllers for the GEN-X and they also work on the GN Twin.

There was one exception to this though. Messiah Entertainment (makers of the Generation NEX) is (was?) an American company. Although the NEXs were made in China the build quality was much better than any other clone I've come across.They still suffered from the NAOC issues though. The unfortunate thing is that I believe Messiah is either out of business or close to it. They told us in Jan. 2008 that they were going to repackage the NEX to make it more competitive, however we have not been able to get a hold of them since then.

Have they given any indication that they plan to advance the design of their clones?

So far I haven't seen any advancement beyond how many different systems they can put into one. Right now IMO the Retro Duo is probably the best quality famiclone you can get.

There's one that plays the NES, SNES, and Genesis too:

http://gizmodo.com/5098589/yobo-fc3-plus-p...esis-cartridges

I've seen the thing. Pretty accurate, but has quite a few issues:

1) Video output seems oversaturated

2) Sound reproduction on the NES is inaccurate(as usual)

3) STILL incompatible with Castlevania III and Rad Racer II(does the RetroDuo work with Rad Racer II?)

4) BROKEN GENESIS COMPATIBILITY! Between this and the GN Twin/Gen-X, I know of 3 things that no longer work on the FC3 Plus that worked on the GN Twin/Gen-X: Sega Master System converters(they didn't work right on the GN Twin/Gen-X in the first place), the 32X(this worked on the GN Twin/Gen-X), and the BIGGEST one for me: BROKEN VIRTUA RACING COMPATIBILITY! I CANNOT have a Genesis without Virtua Racing compatibility. That's the Genesis 3 all over again!

The Retro Entertainment System pretty much looks exactly like the FC Game Console that Yobo makes. For all I know they come out of the same factory. The only difference is the Black/Red color scheme that replaces the Indigo/White of the FC Game Console.

One thing I personally have suggested to Yobo and would like to see is that they get rid of these proprietary controllers they use for the GN Twin and FC3 (the GEN-X has the same problem as well). The ability to use original controllers is a big plus in my book.

I guess the Retro Entertainment System doesn't use the same super-accurate NOAC from the RetroDuo, then?

FYI, you know what type of controller signals those proprietary connectors use? NES controller signals! Yep, the GN Twin, Gen-X and FC3 Plus use that weirdo DB9 plug, but their controllers are just modified (Super) NES controllers. Check this video out to see an original NES Brick controller working on the GN Twin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx81apNT6rU&fmt=18

Getting a Genesis controller to work on the system is harder. Because the NES and Genesis use different controller signals, some conversion circuitry is needed, so the solution(at least on the Gen-X) is to use TTR056 chips(I have no clue what those do). Of course, this causes some control lag(obvious on the Super Monaco GP games) and prevents D-pad inputs from being registered on the controllers when a Master System cartridge is being played. So to get a Genesis(and Master System) controller working is to either:

1) Solder a switch on the proprietary connector with the NES and Genesis controller signals and shave down the plug of a Genesis/Master System controller

2) Add 2 extra controller ports

Another FYI concerning the Gen-X and GN Twin: the bad audio on those 2 systems can be improved. I've designed a circuit that needs to be finalized which will make the GN Twin sound just like a normal Genesis, making use of 2 LM324 quad op-amps.

Edited by Ace_1

Hmm I am interested in trying making some NES brick controllers that are compatible with the GEN-X/GN Twin/FC3 and see if I could sell them along with the systems and/or separate. I actually opened up a GEN-X controller and a 6-button Genesis controller to see if they were anything alike and they weren't so I was disappointed at the time. However I may try it with the NES.

Doesn't look new to me. It actually looks exactly like the Yobo FC console with the controllers from the Hyperkin. The Yobo controllers look better anyway if you ask me.

I think the Gen-X and FC3 controllers use Nintendo signals. I've seen NES and SNES controllers rewired to work on them.

Ace_1, you don't happen to know which color GN Twin wires match which color NES wires do you?

The problem I am having is I opened up an FC3 controller and unlike the GN Twin none of the wires are labeled like he mentioned in the video with the GN Twin controller. I don't have any extra or used GN Twin/GEN-X controllers to open.