IGNORED

Killzone 2

cimerians

http://www.n4g.com/News-267932.aspx

This looks fantastic.

Single player mode is also highly rated which is VERY important to me.

I may have to postpone my V. Chronicles and Left 4 Dead games and buy this one up and start playing it when it comes out.

I don't know how good the game will be, but if you're right and the single player is great, count me in! I have more online fps than I really need, so one with a good story would be very welcome.

I didn't play the first game (then again.. not many did) so I was a bit lost on the opening intro trailer they showed, but I'm curious to see what this game looks like. No one seems to know for sure if the intro is using cgi or in game graphics, but if it looks anything like that I'll be impressed.

I love it when developers put time and love into a project as it really shows. I just started playing Heavenly Sword tonight, and that game really impressed me so far... you can definitely tell that was a labor of love for the creators.

this one's popped on my radar recently, because while I'm not a huge fan of FPS titles, I'm currently playing the hell out of Bad Company and this new FPS is riding a hype tidal wave. I'm just wondering what it is that's supposed to be this game's 'hook'. What's different/new about it? I'm not being harsh, I just want to know what makes this better than, say, resistance or halo that came before and have somewhat similar themes. Bad company has an obvious hook--a lot of cover can be destroyed. So what's killzone 2's angle?

oh, and

this one's popped on my radar recently, because while I'm not a huge fan of FPS titles, I'm currently playing the hell out of Bad Company and this new FPS is riding a hype tidal wave. I'm just wondering what it is that's supposed to be this game's 'hook'. What's different/new about it? I'm not being harsh, I just want to know what makes this better than, say, resistance or halo that came before and have somewhat similar themes. Bad company has an obvious hook--a lot of cover can be destroyed. So what's killzone 2's angle?

oh, and

94 out of 100. not bad at all. I'll have to check this out. It looks amazing, even on the grainy youtube vid lol.

Yeah thats whay I was questioning. Thanks for the IGN link. Sounds good.

reaperman:

I finished off Heavenly Sword. It gets a whole lot better. Worth my time definitely.

:)

I just started playing Heavenly Sword last night :). For a 2 year old game, I'm really impressed. I love the voice acting.. it's hilarious. Fighting is really fluent. I heard it's a short game, which you can kinda tell by how many chapters there are vs. how many I've already gone through. I'm curious to see if they'd ever make a sequel.

Yeah thats whay I was questioning. Thanks for the IGN link. Sounds good.

reaperman:

I finished off Heavenly Sword. It gets a whole lot better. Worth my time definitely.

:)

I just started playing Heavenly Sword last night :). For a 2 year old game, I'm really impressed. I love the voice acting.. it's hilarious. Fighting is really fluent. I heard it's a short game, which you can kinda tell by how many chapters there are vs. how many I've already gone through. I'm curious to see if they'd ever make a sequel.

Sadly I heard this is pretty much it. Although the developers have said that Sony has kept the rights to make a sequel if they ever want to, its just that the developer said that its over with this game.

It gets funnier and nastier. Its really a cool game to spend time with and get into and I didnt mind that it was short because I have a million other games. (short but sweet is the perfect tag for this game)

Can't wait for KZ2. Played the 1st but got a little bored about halfway thru and never did finish ( did the same with Bioshock) but looks like this is going to be pretty sweet. Any chance, does anyone know if there is a co-op thru the campaign on KZ2? I am too lazy to go find out.....

Heavenly Sword is fantastic !

It's a little short, but the story and characters were very cool. Read a blurb a few months back that part 2 was in the works but will have a male character as the main that has no affilition with anyone from the fist. Hope they do make another one.

Very cool. I hope there is a heavenly sword 2. The main character is actually one of my least favorite characters... her voice, eh.. not my favorite. So if they replace her (doesn't she die anyway?) then that's fine by me. I can't wait to play more tonight :D.

Killzone 2 reviews are coming in, and it's doing VERY very well. I don't really want a Halo clone (not my thing), but maybe this would be up my alley. I like how all the characters are human at least.

Saw this game on display at Gamestop awhile back. At first i thought it was Resistance 2 and so we stopped to check it out. I quickly realized it wasn't Resistance 2 (No freaky aliens) and told my GF I wasn't sure what it was. It did look kick ass but I doubt I'll pick it up. No co-op at all? I'll pass for now. The all human cast is kind of boring to me (Probably why I don't get into the C.O.D games too much either)

I just don't get how the PS3 was supposed to be this kick-f*ckin-ass worth the extra year wait game system but the top shelf games available for it can't feature online play. Eh...I guess you get what you pay for....or don't pay for. I'll probably get this when it > $30. Although I'm still waiting for a > Heavenly Sword so I dunno how soon it will be. Even the used copies on H.S. on Amazon are $35+ for that game.

Edited by moycon

Saw this game on display at Gamestop awhile back. At first i thought it was Resistance 2 and so we stopped to check it out. I quickly realized it wasn't Resistance 2 (No freaky aliens) and told my GF I wasn't sure what it was. It did look kick ass but I doubt I'll pick it up. No co-op at all? I'll pass for now. The all human cast is kind of boring to me (Probably why I don't get into the C.O.D games too much either)

I just don't get how the PS3 was supposed to be this kick-f*ckin-ass worth the extra year wait game system but the top shelf games available for it can't feature online play. Eh...I guess you get what you pay for....or don't pay for. I'll probably get this when it > $30. Although I'm still waiting for a > Heavenly Sword so I dunno how soon it will be. Even the used copies on H.S. on Amazon are $35+ for that game.

Single player mode is important for me so thats why I really got into Resistance. The PS3 has been horrible when it comes to online games (when compared to 360). I dont get it. They could really do something.....they have Everquest even. I just dont know what their problem is.

Yeah I'm not sure why Heavenly Sword is so expensive. I've seen it lately for more than 30-35 bucks. I want to get it for my nephew but I dont wanna pay that price for a used game.

Why do we not say anything when good Nintendo games like Smash Bros or Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart never go down in value, but xbox and playstation equivelants are bashed for not being 10 bucks after a year of their release? Sorry, but Heavenly Sword is well worth that price. If you can't afford it I'm sorry, but it doesn't mean it should be cheaper. It's one of PS3's signature titles.. why would they mark it down so low if it's still selling? Mass Effect is about the only game I can think of that was of that calibur that is relatively cheap now. Most good games retain, and should retain, their value.

Also, I play online all the time on my PS3.. am I missing something?

Why do we not say anything when good Nintendo games like Smash Bros or Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart never go down in value, but xbox and playstation equivelants are bashed for not being 10 bucks after a year of their release? Sorry, but Heavenly Sword is well worth that price. If you can't afford it I'm sorry, but it doesn't mean it should be cheaper. It's one of PS3's signature titles.. why would they mark it down so low if it's still selling? Mass Effect is about the only game I can think of that was of that calibur that is relatively cheap now. Most good games retain, and should retain, their value.

I think Moycon is referring to Left for Dead and maybe Final Fantasy type MMORGs. I dont know. In that case yes its lame but I see your point with COD and Warhawk(?).....its just for me its suprising that Sony isnt more involved as it seems it should be. My opinion.

I still don't know if I would pay 30-40 bucks for a used copy. I would for it brand new but not a used copy. Especially not from stores like Gamestop.

I think Moycon is referring to Left for Dead and maybe Final Fantasy type MMORGs. I dont know. In that case yes its lame but I see your point with COD and Warhawk(?).....its just for me its suprising that Sony isnt more involved as it seems it should be. My opinion.

I still don't know if I would pay 30-40 bucks for a used copy. I would for it brand new but not a used copy. Especially not from stores like Gamestop.

Yea I got mine at a local mom and pop place.. nice condition, used. I tried getting it at Gamestop, but they put price stickers on the paper dvd/blueray case cover now.. not the plastic part. So getting it off is impossible. You might as well just reprint the dang thing and buy a replacement case. Besides, most of the time Gamestop's used prices are only a couple bucks cheaper than new. Hardly worth the hassle, I agree.

I understand about the whole co-op thing. But I could say while we don't have left 4 dead (is that really sony's fault so much as it is Steam's...?) we have games like Little Big Planet, which showcase co-op on a grand scale if you ask me. It comes down to developer's preference in the type of game they want to make. Multiplatform games will have the same features, like CoD, but saying Killzone or Resistance is worse than Left 4 Dead because they didn't put a co-op online feature in it, isn't very fair. They're different games, with different goals. If every game had the same play style online, what's the point of owning dozens of games? :)

For those in the U.S., the demo for Killzone 2 will be on PSN this Thursday. BUT..... only for those who pre-order the game at GameStop. Those that don't pre-order the game will have to wait until the 26th.

The European PSN will also have the KZ2 demo available online this week and its freely available there to anyone. Since I've had a European PSN account (along with a Japanese one) for quite some time, GameStop can go to hell!!!

Mendon

For those in the U.S., the demo for Killzone 2 will be on PSN this Thursday. BUT..... only for those who pre-order the game at GameStop. Those that don't pre-order the game will have to wait until the 26th.

The European PSN will also have the KZ2 demo available online this week and its freely available there to anyone. Since I've had a European PSN account (along with a Japanese one) for quite some time, GameStop can go to hell!!!

Mendon

Ha.. yea right. I've been suckered into that "you get a demo" or "you get a free play mode" before.. both times I got the code to get those to work the day I picked up my game.. not a day sooner.

As a side note though, if I have a Japanese system, will that affect how I get things in the store? The "ticker" shows everything coming out in Japanese, though the store is in English with dollar amounts, not yen amounts. I'm assuming I'm looking at the U.S. store, right?

Mendon

Only for pre-orders. I #@$ hate them.

Anyway, thats cool that there will be a demo. If anyone can try and let us know? :)

I guess I can just create a european account too....any different PS1 games in Europe for download? :P

Yea I got mine at a local mom and pop place.. nice condition, used. I tried getting it at Gamestop, but they put price stickers on the paper dvd/blueray case cover now.. not the plastic part. So getting it off is impossible. You might as well just reprint the dang thing and buy a replacement case. Besides, most of the time Gamestop's used prices are only a couple bucks cheaper than new. Hardly worth the hassle, I agree.

I understand about the whole co-op thing. But I could say while we don't have left 4 dead (is that really sony's fault so much as it is Steam's...?) we have games like Little Big Planet, which showcase co-op on a grand scale if you ask me. It comes down to developer's preference in the type of game they want to make. Multiplatform games will have the same features, like CoD, but saying Killzone or Resistance is worse than Left 4 Dead because they didn't put a co-op online feature in it, isn't very fair. They're different games, with different goals. If every game had the same play style online, what's the point of owning dozens of games? :)

Very good angle on the argument. I have to agree with those points. Certain companies are known not to want to release a game on the PS3 (Valve)

etc.. havent thought about that.

Why do we not say anything when good Nintendo games like Smash Bros or Mario Galaxy or Mario Kart never go down in value, but xbox and playstation equivelants are bashed for not being 10 bucks after a year of their release?

:?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138132

;)

I've played Heavenly Sword. Heavenly Sword is a single player only, short, redundant button masher. Luckily I enjoy the types of games, where redundant enemies come out in waves and you have to single-handedly beat them down by pushing the exact same button combo over and over, but honestly I've played a half dozen of them just in the last two years alone. The game doesn't have to go down to $10 after 1 year for me to buy it. Under $30 and year and a half later would be fine. :)

Games like Left 4 Dead can be picked up and beaten in probably 8 hours. Now someone might argue that it was not worth the $$$, but when you realize that you and your buddies can play though the different scenarios and each time is different it suddenly turns an 8 hour game into a 60+ hour game. These type of games don't get old because you have partners who are controlled by humans and unpredictable. (Not to mention fun to talk to while you play!) Now take a game like Killzone 2. That review states its a game that can be beaten in 10 hours (Much like Heavenly Sword). Then your done. There is no co-op to entice you to play through the game again with your pals. EDIT : I see there is Vs games on this disk. That is a plus, but these are so many well done games with VS these days. Sorry, not worth $60 to me even if that 10 hours is well done and it has Vs. Might be all the well done FPSs I've played the last couple years.

Edited by moycon