IGNORED

Epic phail!

MCHufnagel

perhaps they had intended to have released gears of war 2 on pc by that time. I doubt anybody really owns their copy of the game anyway--just renting.

For some reason, Epic decided to be extremely rude to me as a child, and I've never forgiven them.

Edited by Reaperman

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/01...rting-today.ars

Jeez, these are the guys who complain about pc game sales being stolen away because of piracy. Could it be the real reason is that people are leary of bullshit DRM? :x

Actually Piracy is a big problem. Outside of major markets there is tons of it. You do have a good point about being leery of purchasing a game that stops working because of DRM, but this is the first time I have heard of this sort of issue and that it is so widespread. Granted you can change your PC clock to fix it (annoying). It would be interesting to see if this digital certificate expiration happens again, and if anything good comes out of it.

I think the last PC game I bought was Half-Life 2. After getting burned by that DRM (Steam), I decided I was no longer interested in PC gaming if that's the way they were going to go. Seriously, this DRM crap only pisses off people who legitimately buy the game--it does nothing to stop the pirates, who strip out the DRM and distribute copies of games that are easier to deal with than store-bought copies. Incidents like this just show that in 10 years when we want to play some of our favorite "older" PC games, we're probably going to find that they don't run. Then we'll then have to hunt down cracked, pirate copies.

..Al

I think the last PC game I bought was Half-Life 2. After getting burned by that DRM (Steam), I decided I was no longer interested in PC gaming if that's the way they were going to go. Seriously, this DRM crap only pisses off people who legitimately buy the game--it does nothing to stop the pirates, who strip out the DRM and distribute copies of games that are easier to deal with than store-bought copies. Incidents like this just show that in 10 years when we want to play some of our favorite "older" PC games, we're probably going to find that they don't run. Then we'll then have to hunt down cracked, pirate copies.

..Al

That is what confuses me most. The people profiting off the pirated games always find a way around the copy protection. The legitimate purchasers get burned and then sometimes look to getting the pirated versions just so they do not have to deal with the DRM, or they simply give up and stop purchasing.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/01...rting-today.ars

Jeez, these are the guys who complain about pc game sales being stolen away because of piracy. Could it be the real reason is that people are leary of bullshit DRM? :x

Actually Piracy is a big problem. Outside of major markets there is tons of it. You do have a good point about being leery of purchasing a game that stops working because of DRM, but this is the first time I have heard of this sort of issue and that it is so widespread. Granted you can change your PC clock to fix it (annoying). It would be interesting to see if this digital certificate expiration happens again, and if anything good comes out of it.

I really don't think that piracy is as bad as the industry makes it out to be. Like you said it's the non-major markets (i.e. third world nations) that are huge with piracy. Yet it's the western consumer who gets screwed. Like Albert said, DRM rarely, if ever deters piracy. I'm one of the people who feel that the industry uses DRM for two reasons, and none of it is because it stops piracy.

1) They can make the shareholders, who know nothing about games, feel good that management is doing something to protect profits.

2) It screws up the resell market.

This case is a perfect example of DRM affecting legitimate buyers, yet does nothing to the pirates. As a matter of fact owning the cracked version is better than owning the bought version!

Sadly it's reached the point where I search out nocd cracks of my new pc games. If only because the publishers/developers don't give a "rats ass" about their customers.

Edited by MCHufnagel

1) They can make the shareholders, who know nothing about games, feel good that management is doing something to protect profits.

I had not even considered these two points. Well said, especially so for the resell market. They hate those guys.

The only PC game I plan on buying in the near future is Sims 3 and I hear it may have Securom. :thumbsdown:

The info I've seen is that all of EA's games will have the activation limit. Now the limit may be modified down the road (I heard that EA's games on Steam have the DRM removed). But I sure wouldn't buy any pc games from EA until things change.

I had not even considered these two points. Well said, especially so for the resell market. They hate those guys.

Yeah, that's the other thing that pissed me off about Half-Life 2--after I could not get the game to run properly on two different PCs, I was basically out $50 (good luck trying to return an opened PC game) and I could not resell the game since it was tied to my Steam account. I used to spend lots of money on PC games, now I spend ZERO on PC games. I do buy console games since at least for now you don't have to deal with DRM, and you can buy and sell used copies of the games.

..Al