IGNORED

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

Well....I'm pissed off.

I was under the impression that if you pre-order something on Amazon, you get it the day it comes out (just like in real stores) :x

If I woulda known it wasn't going to be here after work, I woulda gone to Hastings and picked up a damn copy.

:x :x :x

(rant semi-off)

Now it fucking tells me that the game has not shipped and will arrive on the 17th. WTF!?!?!?!?!

The game came out T-O-D-A-Y.

What the fuck is the point of pre-ordering it if it isn't even going to be here on launch day????

I hope they do refunds cause I ain't waiting another week. Fuck that. I'm just going to pick up all my new releases at the store from now on......if this is the case with all Amazon pre-orders.

Now it fucking tells me that the game has not shipped and will arrive on the 17th. WTF!?!?!?!?!

The game came out T-O-D-A-Y.

What the fuck is the point of pre-ordering it if it isn't even going to be here on launch day????

I hope they do refunds cause I ain't waiting another week. Fuck that. I'm just going to pick up all my new releases at the store from now on......if this is the case with all Amazon pre-orders.

I know its a joke.

Actually the whole "pre-order" thing is a joke. Like a copy wont exist when it comes out?

To order before you order? Dumb.

The whole pre-order scam started with Gamestop.

Amazon simply puts the tag on there. It doesnt mean anything.

I have no idea why they put pre-order on anything when its mail delivery.

A. Order the game and it will arrive when it arrives

or

B. Go to your local retailer (NOT Gamestop) and buy a copy the day THEY have it on stores.

Do not go by the publishers or Gamestops earlier (a few days) release dates.

Remember dont support Gamestop. :x

If you want it the day of launch from Amazon it'll cost you extra to have to same day shipped. The upside of Amazon is you can often get the game cheaper than you would in the store. (Not if you expedite shipping) The downside, you'll have to wait a couple extra days to play. Just for the record, when Amazon states a game will arrive on a certain date, it's usually there much quicker. For instance if they said it would arrive the 17th, it'll in reality be there more like the 12th. I order from Amazon a lot so I know. The $$ I save (Sometimes as much as $15) is worth waiting the extra couple days. My "to play" queue is so huge now, no way am I paying even an extra $5 to play a game a couple days early.

Personally, I like ordering something and then not having to concern myself with any further effort beyond accepting it when it arrives at my door.

I've dealt with hunting down new releases, and it's not worth the effort to me. Nowhere stocks them, or if they do, the price is considerably higher than ordering online.

If you want immediate gratification. Don't order online. Or at least don't go for free shipping.

I have 800+ games. I can wait a week for one more.

34 of the 45 titles in this collection are already available for download on the Wii VC.

The difference. To snag them will cost you $272!

Whoever said the Wii was a cheaper way to enjoy games since the console was only $250 didn't figure that you could get the same games (actually MORE games, including Phantasy Star) on the PS3 and 360 for under $30. DOH!! :D

34 of the 45 titles in this collection are already available for download on the Wii VC.

Whoever said the Wii was a cheaper way to enjoy games since the console was only $250 didn't figure that you could get the same games (actually MORE games, including Phantasy Star) on the PS3 and 360 for under $30. DOH!! :D

is alien soldier, puyo puyo 2, super fantasy zone, or greylancer on this collection too?

Unless you use the homebrew channel and the WAD injector. Then the cost is closer to $0... :)

I'm curious as to how these versions compare to the Wii VC versions. I assume these are emulated roms as well.

Tempest

Unless you use the homebrew channel and the WAD injector. Then the cost is closer to $0... :)

I'm curious as to how these versions compare to the Wii VC versions. I assume these are emulated roms as well.

Tempest

If its anything like the PS2 version then its perfect. I felt like my Genesis was hooked up and I was playing.

Best feature:

Hit pause and you can save a game at any point!

Now I can beat the Sonic games at my own pleasure. :D

I never use the VC, homebrew all the way baby. Genesis GX, SNES9x and the NES GX are great emulators on the homebrew channel.

Now there is a C64 and Stella emulator as well.....(not very good yet)

I assume the games are cropped as they were not made for widescreen? That's probably one more reason for me to use my Wii VC for these as I have a 4:3 TV.

EDIT: I looked at some screenshots and they put some ugly looking borders around them, but I think you can also have the game stretch the image if you want. The more I think about it, with the plethora of emulators availble and VC games I'm better off using a Genesis emulator on my Wii (4:3 resolution). I'm going to pass on this one unless they've been optimized somehow.

Tempest

True, I mean I guess you could just walk into any store and get games for any system for free by placing it under your shirt and walking out of the store, but I ment legitimately. :cool:

True, I mean I guess you could just walk into any store and get games for any system for free by placing it under your shirt and walking out of the store, but I ment legitimately. :cool:

Well if you already own the games for the actual system... Ok so that's sort of a gray area... :)

Tempest

so how is it? Is their box and cart art for every game? How about in game instructions, like the

Activision collection for the GBA?

Any more details would be helpfull... thanks

-rick

Love it!!!!!

It has box art and cart art for those interested...and also a short history of the game and interesting sidenotes. No in-game instructions as far as I know.

Only thing I dislike....other than wishing there were more games.....is the achievement system for this game. In my mind, every game on here should have a set of, let's say 5, achievements...worth 5 points each. That would make around 40 games easily have 1000 gamerpoints. I don't like the system of just one achievement per game..........and some of them are downright stupid and easy....such as beating the first level of Comix Zone. :roll:

Other than that, it's the best 30 bucks you can spend for the 360.

If its anything like the PS2 version then its perfect.

Hopefully it's not like the PS2 version. The PS2 version suffers from really bad sound reproduction and isn't properly formatted for widescreen TVs, even when you have the PS2 set to 16x9.

Bought my copy today; Game Stop had plenty (yes, I know, but the local ones are surprisingly non-evil, with competent employees who actually know their stuff and don't spend too much time pushing pre-orders). I'll post some thoughts later tonight after I've had a chance to play.

Edited by skunkworx

I'll be waiting!

After looking at the achievements list again I can see what your saying... i agree with you 100percent..

each game should have multiple achivments...

I can't decide if i should get this or a new rpg for the 360... as i just finished mass effect.

mmm maybe i should give mass effect a 2nd go thru! and get the genny collection!

-rick

If its anything like the PS2 version then its perfect.

Hopefully it's not like the PS2 version. The PS2 version suffers from really bad sound reproduction and isn't properly formatted for widescreen TVs, even when you have the PS2 set to 16x9.

Bought my copy today; Game Stop had plenty (yes, I know, but the local ones are surprisingly non-evil, with competent employees who actually know their stuff and don't spend too much time pushing pre-orders). I'll post some thoughts later tonight after I've had a chance to play.

I noticed nothing bad with the sound at all. On my widescreen it also looked fine. Im using a PS3 on 1080p.

Gamestop? :|

I noticed nothing bad with the sound at all.

It's especially obvious on the Sonic games. On the original hardware, the sound for grabbing a ring alternates between speakers. On the PS2 collection, the sound comes from both speakers, and sounds like it had a bit of processing in order to be picked up by surround-sound decoders. The result sounds very shrill and grating on my ears. Also on the PS2 collection, the music doesn't speed up like it's supposed to when Sonic grabs the sneakers. And in general, everything sounds like it went through a cheap digital sampler... which it probably did.

On my widescreen it also looked fine. Im using a PS3 on 1080p.

It doesn't look bad, and it doesn't look any worse than a real Genesis would look on a widescreen TV. But it is stretched horizontally, even when the PS2 is set to compensate for the extra width. I find that annoying, because I don't want to have to mess with the TV's stretch/zoom controls when the console is designed to do that for me.

Gamestop? :|

Hush. :)

Edited by skunkworx

Two things: Why call it a Genesis Collection when there are SMS and arcade games on it? Also, if they're gonna include arcades and SMS, where Outrun, Hang On, Frogger, Zillion, and Alex Kidd in Miracle World? Quartet would be nice too.

I personally think they should come out with seperate compilations. A Sega arcade collection, SMS, Genesis, etc.