IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Bump. Any more news on this?

Lots of interest...

Almost. I'm sitting in SFO right now waiting for a flight home, where I should have 10 PCBs (the prototype run) waiting for me. I'm hoping to have news sometime Sunday, or at least early in the week, on how things are going. I would have had an update earlier in the week, but vacation preempted this. ;)

Come now! Priorities! Which is more important - a vacation, or us Atarians?

How's this instead:

IMG_3292.jpg

Today I got my hands on the prototype run of PCBs and I've built one up as a test. I'm running into some problems getting the AVR programmed, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that the problems are related to the machine I am doing the programming from. Oh, and the two traces which I stupidly left out of the programmer were a problem for a few minutes, but they aren't the root of it.

Anyway, things are progressing nicely so far. Hopefully I'll have more by the end of the week. Since this is a back-to-work week I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done, but we'll see.

(Oh, and there are more photos from today here and here, if you are interested. And yes, that is black soldermask, which is what I intend to be on the final boards as well.)

IMG_3313.jpg

Now what do we have here? Why, a (finally) working SDrive NUXX, with C.P.U.'s software running via an 800XL on the TV in the background.

After getting my head around programming AVRs (it's a bit different from the PICs that I'm familiar with) I was able to get the firmware on the chip, but then I came to discover that all three LDOs I'd ordered from Digikey are bad (Photo). After feeding the SD card 3.3V straight from a benchtop supply, it's working great.

Thus far I've identified two problems in the v1.0 PCBs, but they are nothing critical:

• Two missing traces in the programmer.
  • Wrongly placed silkscreen for front panel buttons.

Otherwise, yay! Now I just need to order some more LDOs and get to work on finishing the front / rear panel design.

Edited by c0nsumer

IMG_3313.jpg

Now what do we have here? Why, a (finally) working SDrive NUXX, with C.P.U.'s software running via an 800XL on the TV in the background.

After getting my head around programming AVRs (it's a bit different from the PICs that I'm familiar with) I was able to get the firmware on the chip, but then I came to discover that all three LDOs I'd ordered from Digikey are bad (Photo). After feeding the SD card 3.3V straight from a benchtop supply, it's working great.

Thus far I've identified two problems in the v1.0 PCBs, but they are nothing critical:

• Two missing traces in the programmer.
  • Wrongly placed silkscreen for front panel buttons.

Otherwise, yay! Now I just need to order some more LDOs and get to work on finishing the front / rear panel design.

Outstanding! I can hardly wait!

I just built up another to send off to a friend for his testing, and I've been working on the documentation. The front panel designs need finishing and the v1.1 PCB needs a bit of work, but as soon as those are done and I receive quotes back I'm planning on opening up the group buy / preordering. I hope this is sometime around the end of next week.

Do you feel like the current 1.0 schematic is accurate for the purposes of ordering parts? I need to make an order with Digikey for other projects, and would like to add these to the order so I'll be ready when you get production parts.

Do you feel like the current 1.0 schematic is accurate for the purposes of ordering parts? I need to make an order with Digikey for other projects, and would like to add these to the order so I'll be ready when you get production parts.

Yes. I've got the v1.1 PCB pretty much set and I anticipate no part changes, just these three things (which are already done):

• Fixed a footprint.
  • Added missing traces to the programmer.
  • Fixed the front panel tactile switch labeling.

I'd be rather surprised if there are any part changes made at this point, since there's really no reason to do so.

Look here and you can see the BOM and then a copy/pastable list of everything save for the keycaps, enclosure, and SIO connector. Part numbers SW451-ND and SW252-ND are the black and red keycaps, respectively. I'm personally planning on putting black keycaps on the front and red on the rear for the reset switch. It'd be nice if Digi-Key carried a darker grey part, but they don't. (These might be worth finding...)

Take a look at this photo for the keycaps that DK carries for the switches I've selected. That's been color corrected and shot on a neutral (color wise) grey card. These are all the in-stock keycaps listed as associated products for part SW409-ND. That is, if you want a different color from what was mentioned above.

Edited by c0nsumer

IMG_3319.jpg

Tonight after work I mocked up the front and rear panels. That's the front above, and the rear can be seen here. The actual ones will be 2mm thick; whereas that there is about .5mm, made of five sheets of plain paper laminated with rubber cement. The plastic plugs are just to hold it together. You can see where it's going, though.

There's still a little work to do on the front and rear panels, but I think the current design is pretty solid. The blue keycaps are also just for this prototype / mockup, as I think they are ugly and worth (essentially) throwing away. I anticipate using black keycaps on the front and red on the reset button on the rear. This image shows all the matching keycap colors which Digi-Key stocks, if you are curious.

Edited by c0nsumer

c0nsumer: could You tell me manufacturer and part no of enclosure You're using? I'm pretty fed up with polish manufacturers, and enclosures with mounting screws in odd places and no cad drawings at all :(

He's got it listed on his project page: http://nuxx.net/wiki/SDrive_NUXX#Part_List

Hammond manufacturing. Ordered from Mouser.

--Kurt

(Who's eagerly awaiting his testing unit)

I just noticed this project and I must say it is extremely impressive! BTW, will there be a production run on the units or is this more a DIY type project? If there is a production run is there still time to order?

tjb

He's got it listed on his project page: http://nuxx.net/wiki/SDrive_NUXX#Part_List

--Kurt

Yep, that's it... 1455L1201BK (drop the BK for the non-black version).

Now everyone knows who to pick on if I say that everything is on hold waiting for testing results... ;)

--Kurt

Yep, that's it... 1455L1201BK (drop the BK for the non-black version).

Now everyone knows who to pick on if I say that everything is on hold waiting for testing results... ;)

Damn! Didn't think of that :)

Well, I've at least got an 800, 800xl (stock), 800xl (Rambo'd), 1200xl and now a 600xl to test with. And once I get through the beginning of next week, I should have time and energy. Right now, I'm looking at tons of work to make sure the department is ready for the begining of spring quarter.

--Kurt