IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Damn! Didn't think of that :)

Well, I've at least got an 800, 800xl (stock), 800xl (Rambo'd), 1200xl and now a 600xl to test with. And once I get through the beginning of next week, I should have time and energy. Right now, I'm looking at tons of work to make sure the department is ready for the begining of spring quarter.

--Kurt

Excellent, because I've only got my stock 800XL, originally purchased by my parents from Toys R Us back in the 80s.

Sounds like you can test almost the whole suite of target devices. Yay!

I just noticed this project and I must say it is extremely impressive! BTW, will there be a production run on the units or is this more a DIY type project? If there is a production run is there still time to order?

First, I haven't begun taking orders for PCBs and end panels yet, because I'm still finalizing the design. It's expected to be a DIY project, but a particularly easy one. (Order the stuff, solder it together, program the microcontroller, done!)

Second, contrary to my previous statements I've expecting to make a small number (10 or so at most) of completely assembled SDrive NUXXes available for purchase. I haven't even begun to consider price for these yet. I strongly suspect that there will also be other individuals around here from whom one will be able to purchase an assembled SDrive NUXX as well, as there will be nothing preventing anyone from purchasing PCB+Panel sets and reselling them assembled.

Edited by c0nsumer

sdrive_nuxx_panels_1_0.png

That right there is the v1.0 artwork. I've sent it out for a final quote, and as soon as I hear back from it and get confirmation from my tester that things are working right, I'll be opening up ordering.

The PCB is now v1.1, due to a couple very minor fixes and some last minute minor adjustments to make the pushbuttons and DIP switches sit better with the end panels. The v1.1 PCB export may be seen here and the matching schematic is here in a PNG or here in a PDF.

I did another set of cardboard mockups of the end panels after finalizing tweaks, and those can be seen here: 1, 2, 3.

The SDrive NUXX documentation at nuxx.net has been updated, including recommendations for the Brown-Out Detection made here. I feel that this may not be needed for the SDrive, but I don't believe that it will hurt and may possibly provide a benefit.

So, hopefully I'll have the order page up by the end of the week, with the closing of orders (and my ordering of the PCBs and panels) occurring sometime around the first of April.

Edited by c0nsumer

That's what I was waiting for... One please. :)

And... one for me please!

Thank you for the interest, but just to be clear, I am not taking orders nor reservations yet. I gladly will in a few days (or so) once I'm able to open up ordering, but for now I'm not able to reserve any pieces. Sorry.

-Steve

as soon as you open up the pre-ordering, I'll be there!

is there any chance of you providing the parts too? for simplicity, thats all.

cheers, Iain, UK

PS one more question - SIO cable. Easy to make ? I have a 'sort of' SIO cable from 800 to SIO2PC, cant recall if it was just wires...

Edited by iainjh

cheers, Iain, UK

PS one more question - SIO cable. Easy to make ? I have a 'sort of' SIO cable from 800 to SIO2PC, cant recall if it was just wires...

Probably a pain to make. :)

It's the standard drive cable for hooking an atari to the atari peripherals.

--Kurt

cheers, Iain, UK

Sorry, but providing the full-on kitting of parts is a bit more than I'm able to take on. The work which is required to order, sort, package, and ship all the parts makes it a little more work than I'm wanting to take on. Additionally, the markup I'd need to charge on the parts to make it worth the time (kitting parts is NOT fun) would end up making it cost more than people are probably wanting to pay. With SIO connectors not readily available in quantity I also wouldn't be able to provide complete kits, complicating things further.

As kurtm said, it's just a plain old normal Atari drive cable. Making the DB15 cable, if that's what your are wanting, is no harder than any other DSUB header+shell.

So I got my test unit working last night. I received it Saturday, but I was dealing with work catastrophe's all weekend. I did try it Saturday night and didn't get a response, but last night I figured out that was due to the 512M microSD card I was using. I tried the 2G miniSD from my phone last night and that worked great.

Initially my wife had the TV up so it seemed the beeps were continous in normal mode, as in one long beep. Not the case, but since this is flash, there is little delay between them. When putting it in UltraSpeed mode, it's almost one continuous tone. Once I try with another DOS, I suspect that it may get even close to being one tone while loading :)

I still didn't do extensive testing yet, I was still exhausted, so hopefully some more extensive testing tonight. I even got the images c0nsumer had problems with to work. Seems to have been not holding option down :) To be fair, he didn't think of it as a cold boot when leaving the SDrive program.

I'ev just got a "naked" unit (no case). But it's pretty. That black solder mask is nice. The menu is pretty easy to use. I think some tweaking of the SDrive.atr might make for an even nicer experience, when I get around to it :) Just little things like perhaps something that will do an MIO/BB-type default drive setup so you don't always have to go into the menu on startup. (When you power down the Atari, the SDrive powers down, since it draws its power from the Atari). But the tweaks I'm talking about are finishing touches, the software that CPU provides is quite nice.

I've got to say I'm pretty excited about this. It's not the same as an MIO, but since it can handle huge ATRs, for those without an MIO (or a PBI) this is a very nice solution. Especially with a DOS that handles high speed. I did have slight trouble with REAL DOS at first. One either needs to set the SDrive to normal speed or have REALDOS use the OS SIO vector. The default seems to not get along with the US Doubler SIO routine, as REAL would stop loading after it picked the US routine. This can also be fixed by setting the SIO Index to 9 in the menu. At that point, REALDOS likes it just fine.

I'd also be interested in getting command line utilities for the SDrive. So you can do more than just swap between the 4 images you've chosen without entering the menu. The capability is there in the device, because the menu does it through SIO. It's something I'm thinking about writing, but with my free time as it often is, don't let me thinking about it stop anyone from writing one in the meantime :)

So, I should have all my testing done by end of week and assuming I don't find anything problematic, then c0nsumer will be free to start his preorders. You may now get back to your regular salivating :)

SDrive NUXX Ordering Now Available!

IMG_3335.jpg

I'm pleased to announce that I am now taking preorders for SDrive NUXX parts. Contrary to some of my previous statements about only offering PCBs and end panels, I've decided to offer the original PCB & End Panel Sets, SDrive NUXX Parts Kits, Preprogrammed Microcontrollers, and a very limited number of Fully Assembled and Tested SDrive NUXXs.

Here's a rundown of the options available:

SDrive NUXX PCB & End Panel Set
-
US$35
- One SDrive NUXX PCB v1.1, one set (front and rear) SDrive NUXX End Panels, two thread-cutting screws for mounting thick-wing SIO connectors, and two 4-40 screw/nut sets for mounting thin-wing SIO connectors.

Preprogrammed Microcontroller
-
$5
- One Atmega ATmega8-16PU (PDIP28 package) microcontroller, programmed with the SDrive firmware with the Brown-Out Detection (BODEN and BODLEVEL) fuses programmed. Only available with the purchase of an
SDrive NUXX PCB & End Panel Set
or
SDrive NUXX Kit

SDrive NUXX Kit
-
US$100
- The aforementioned PCB & End Panel Set, plus a preprogrammed Atmel ATmega8 microcontroller, and all the other parts for building one SDrive NUXX
except for an SIO connector
. This includes a black Hammond Manufacturing 1455L1201BK enclosure. Note that if you wish to use the enclosed DB15 connector instead of your own SIO connector, some slight modification of the IO Connector hole on the rear panel will be required to ensure that the mounting screws fit.

Completely Assembled and Tested SDrive NUXX
-
US$150
- One completely assembled SDrive NUXX with SIO connector, tested and ready to use. Includes a 2GB Kingston SD card containing SDRIVE.ATR, tested to work with the SDrive NUXX. As I only have access to a limited number of SIO connectors, this is limited to a total of 10 items, to be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

All aforementioned items ship FOR FREE via First-Class Mail to US addresses. For international destinations, postage (via First-Class Mail) is a flat-rate US$7 to international destinations for each complete SDrive NUXX, SDrive NUXX Kit, or every five SDrive NUXX PCB & End Panel sets.

From now through 03-April-2009 I will be accepting orders. After 03-April-2009 the ordering window will be closed and I will begin ordering the parts. The PCB and end panel manufacturers have quoted me three weeks lead time for manufacturing, and then a week (or so) for shipping, meaning that I should receive these parts around the beginning of May. As soon as the PCBs and end panels are received I will begin assembling and shipping orders. I will have all orders shipped out as soon as possible.

So, that said, if you'd like to place an order, please head on over to the SDrive NUXX Ordering Page. The payments are handled via Google Checkout. Note that if you are wanting to order an assembled SDrive NUXX (or get on the waiting list for in the case that ordering is full) an assembled SDrive NUXX you will need to email me directly. (See the ordering page for more information on this.)

And, finally, please be sure to review the SDrive NUXX, SDrive, and SDrive NUXX Ordering pages before ordering, to ensure that you have a good understanding of what it is that you are buying. This is a DIY project, and while all parts are guaranteed to be free from defects they are otherwise without warranty or technical support.

Thanks very much, everyone!

-Steve

c0nsumer@nuxx.net

(PS: That photo up top is one of the cardboard mockup front panels, not the metal one you'll actually be getting. I made that as part of the final checking of the artwork.)

Edited by c0nsumer

Hi Steve

Just went to order and Google checkout doesn't seem to recognise the fact that I'm outside the US and so is not adding shipping. I'm in the UK and am trying to order two PCB / end panels plus 2 microcontrollers.

Sorry if there's a bit of confusion with this. I tried to explain it on the ordering page, but it's perhaps not that clear. In short, I was unable to sort out how to do free US, pay International shipping (particularly at a flat rate) via Google's easy to use shopping cart stuff. Because of that, if you need these shipped internationally, please add one of the International Shipping items to your order. If you have a US destination for shipping, just order as is.

Sorry for the confusion...

-Steve

Order placed :) Man I'm going to be broke if this keeps up. OK - If anyone else is coming up with a cool new game or peripheral could you hang on a month or two to let my bank account catch up ;)

Edited by spookt

'kinell. Order placed (and UltraSatan and Skunkboard!!!)

Please please please slow down a bit with the cool stuff, it's only March!!!!

I think it must be all of us wanting winter projects to keep away the SAD. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the order!

Edited by c0nsumer

'kinell. Order placed (and UltraSatan and Skunkboard!!!)

Please please please slow down a bit with the cool stuff, it's only March!!!!

I think it must be all of us wanting winter projects to keep away the SAD. ;)

Oh, and thanks for the order!

Pleasure, thanks for all the time and effort you have put into the project :thumbsup:

Thanks for the orders placed so far, everyone!

Just so you all know, nine of the ten assembled and tested SDrive NUXXs have been invoiced (and are thus held for people), and four are paid for. That leaves only one slot left to be guaranteed one.

Of course, I'm taking names for the wait-list, just in case...

Wow, that was fast... Ten people have already requested assembled SDrive NUXXs. That said, not everyone has paid yet so I'm still accepting names for the waitlist. People on this waitlist will be offered assembled devices should one of the original buyers back out.

Edited by c0nsumer

Note that if something goes wrong and the smoke is let out of a component during testing, all the smoke must be collected, reassembled, and reinserted before the part will work again. It is often easier to replace the failed component.

:D Awesome sense of humor!

Are the board panel and chip kits going to be limited to one run?

I haven't even gotten my first A8 in the mail yet, so I'm not sure I'm ready for this!

Maybe in a couple months I'll be ready, but I don't want to miss out!