IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

How's that?

That's the first fully assembled SDrive NUXX, complete with the end panels. I'm really happy with how these panels came out. The fit snugly into the bezels, the MetalPhoto material is outstanding, and the tolerance / finish is absolutely beautiful.

Is that mine? :cool:

IMG_3520.jpg

Is that mine? :cool:

Actually, that's mine. ;) Yours is one of the ones in the image up above. Note that the panels look like poop because the plastic has been left on them. Even though the artwork is anodized and thus very durable, this will keep them looking as good as possible until after shipment. I strongly advise that the plastic be peeled off after they arrive, just so it doesn't age in place and gum things up.

Oh, and yeah, it seems I got around to finishing up physical assembly. I still have to finish testing the assembled ones and pack everything else before the ship, and due to some other commitments that'll likely take until the end of the weekend.

There's a bunch more hastily-taken photos over here from when physical assembly was being done tonight, if you're interested.

Edited by c0nsumer

Just gorgeous. Those are really beautiful.

Thanks very much, and thanks to all of you. I'm really happy with how they are coming along. It's really nice to see a project when it gets near these end stages and everything is working out well.

mimo and I have been throwing around the idea of a group buy for components for UK folks who ordered a NUXX board. I'm thinking that if we could get a concrete number we could work out a price including forward shipping from me to you. I would order enough parts for everyone and then kit them up before shipping them on.

Because some of the parts on the list are US stock (especially the front and rear panel switches which I'd like to stick to so that we line up with Steve's wonderful end panels), Farnell charge a US stock sourcing fee of £15 once per order. Obviously the more people come in the less that end up being each if we all order together.

So, what do you guys think? So that I'm not holding people's cash I would order the parts and then PM an invoice once I've kitted them up. Once I have payment (PayPal preferably) I ship out the number of parts kits that you ordered.

Note - no commitment right now. I'm just trying to gauge interest.

mimo and I have been throwing around the idea of a group buy for components for UK folks who ordered a NUXX board. I'm thinking that if we could get a concrete number we could work out a price including forward shipping from me to you. I would order enough parts for everyone and then kit them up before shipping them on.

Because some of the parts on the list are US stock (especially the front and rear panel switches which I'd like to stick to so that we line up with Steve's wonderful end panels), Farnell charge a US stock sourcing fee of £15 once per order. Obviously the more people come in the less that end up being each if we all order together.

So, what do you guys think? So that I'm not holding people's cash I would order the parts and then PM an invoice once I've kitted them up. Once I have payment (PayPal preferably) I ship out the number of parts kits that you ordered.

Note - no commitment right now. I'm just trying to gauge interest.

Obviously me for 2 parts kits

I had an unexpected bit of time last night, so I shipped all US-destination PCB/panel sets. Those of you in the States should have received a delivery confirmation number in the ship notice from Google Checkout. If you haven't, don't hesitate to email or PM me to ask for yours.

US kits and international orders should ship soon, hopefully by the end of the weekend. Shipping to non-US destinations is just a bit harder, as I can't use the open-all-night ATM-like automated postage devices for doing international stuff.

Assembled SDrive NUXXs should ship sometime next week. I have to finish testing them, first, though.

-Steve

Also, I'd love to see photos of them in progress or built.

I'll definitely take some pictures. Although, I will warn you that they will not look nearly as good as your photos!

The bulk of the parts I ordered should arrive Monday, hopefully with the SIO connectors arriving soon after. I am excited to get these all set up. I should probably start getting files ready for the SD Card.

I just received shipment notification! I can't wait!

tjb

Ha, damn. You even beat me to announcing it here, and I've only been sending them for five minutes or so.

Just so everyone knows, all US-destination SDrive NUXX orders, including the assembled devices, have shipped. If you haven't received a delivery confirmation number, please contact me via PM or email and I can send it to you.

As mentioned before, the rest of the orders will go out this weekend or first thing next week. I need to visit a Post Office during business hours to do international shipments, which is rather difficult this week.

c0nsumer, are you able to fill the entire 2GB card with ATR and XFD images and access all of them by mounting any image to one of the drives? Or is it limited to a certain capacity?

I guess the main benefit to the SDrive is portability as compared to using an SIO to PC type setup?

Great website by the way, and excellent photography.

Edited by Xebec's Demise

c0nsumer, are you able to fill the entire 2GB card with ATR and XFD images and access all of them by mounting any image to one of the drives? Or is it limited to a certain capacity?

Per the SDrive documentation, the device supports up to a 2GB SD card. My personal card only has about 500MB of stuff on it, and even that is a bit unwieldy. Even with long file name display turned on, if one results in single directories with a few thousand files in it (eg: the TOSEC Games/ATR folder) it's quite a hassle to browse through things.

The assembled devices that I've made came with 2GB cards because they are available at a reasonable price and a maximum-size card will provide users with the maximum amount of flexibility.

I guess the main benefit to the SDrive is portability as compared to using an SIO to PC type setup?

Exactly. Having a box roughly the size of two Uno decks, bus-powered, with nothing hanging off of it is a very nice way to go. Instead of a PC, bunch of cables, extra power cord, and (generally) an exposed PCB, this is a simple, inobtrusive box.

Great website by the way, and excellent photography.

Thank you. I figure that documenting a project and making it publicly available provides far more value than just selling parts, because once the archivers pick it up, it becomes part of the world's collective library and then anyone can build off of it. After all, the SDrive NUXX is just building off of a whole bunch more work already done by C.P.U..

Edited by c0nsumer

I got my PC board, chip, and panel set in today. I've got half-a-dozen kits waiting to be assembled right now, but I hope to get to it soon. The only thing I'm varying from the standard form is that I've got a SIO cable scavenged from a XM301 modem, so I'm planning on soldering that directly to the DB15 holes. If I get a spare SIO connector in the future, I can replace it then.

I got my PCB, chip, and end panels today. I still have to order ALL the parts for it. I will take pics when I am assembling, but it will be several weeks at least until I get started on it.

Beautiful work BTW - everything looks top notch.

Stephen Anderson

I got my PCB, chip, and end panels today. I still have to order ALL the parts for it. I will take pics when I am assembling, but it will be several weeks at least until I get started on it.

Beautiful work BTW - everything looks top notch.

Thank you very much.

I'm glad to hear orders are starting to arrive. Then again, you're not too far away... I imagine west coast deliveries will happen Monday or Tuesday.

Got my kit yesterday!!!! Guess I know what I'll be doing today. LOL Everything looks great. excellent job!!

Excellent. :D That's great to hear.

One thing to mention (which I still need to add to the docs) is to be a little careful when soldering the small tabs on the top edge of the SD card, along where the switch is. They aren't hard to solder, but it is possible to bridge them to the shell, which shorts them to ground. For some of them this could be a problem. Just something to keep an eye out for. Everything else on it is really rather easy, with the LEDs and toggle switch and lining them up to be sure they properly poke through the front panel being the most difficult.

Hey everyone... Due to interest and my having a few more spare SDrive NUXX parts than needed, I've reopened ordering for both PCB and Panel sets and completed SDrive NUXXs. I've only got a limited number of each available, so if you want some, please order soon. I'll only be able to fill about 23 more orders and then I'll be out of PCBs.

Here's the updated ordering page: SDrive NUXX Ordering Page

Edited by c0nsumer

Well, that's that. At about 8:30am (local time) this morning all international SDrive NUXX orders were shipped via USPS Priority Mail International.

Thanks again, everyone!

Edited by c0nsumer

Woohoo! Mine just arrived. Everything looks great. Now I just have to put it together.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Since yours went out with the assembled orders, I expect that people in the US will be receiving their assembled SDrive NUXXs starting today. :D