IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

Mine arrived today, also in UK! faster than I'd hoped!

A round of applause and thanks to Steve please as this is a great, professional bit of kit. Plus I'm SO happy I ordered it with an SIO socket, to go with a cable I got a few weeks ago, as its bus powered its so much neater than expected as well.

And the case is a work of art, thanks again Steve,

Iain

:) :) :)

Wheres mine :(

Rain or SDrive ? For rain you need to ask bf2k+ nicely :)

Mine arrived on Saturday morning so I'd guess yours will be right behind it in he next day or two :thumbsup:

Hahaha, well I went camping at the weekend, so I really don't need any more rain or wind thanks :x

Since the SDrive NUXX project is starting to come to a close, I've decided that it is time to release the CAD files. These are in CadSoft EAGLE format, released under under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License, and may be downloaded from the Design Documents portion of the SDrive NUXX article.

Please see the License portion of the SDrive NUXX article for more specific licensing information.

Enjoy!

(PS: Both PCB / End Panel Sets and Assembled Devices are still available... Please see the SDrive NUXX Ordering Page for more information and to place orders.)

Edited by c0nsumer

I finished putting mine together yesterday and they really are great. It only took me a couple minutes to get the software figured out - it is pretty intuitive. I still need to learn the keyboard commands and check out the more advanced configuration options though.

SDrive%20NUXX.JPG

Thanks for all of your work on this c0nsumer. And thank you too, C.P.U., for your work as well.

I have one question for you c0nsumer - which PCB manufacturer did you use? I have a few projects that I may eventually try and was impressed with the quality of the SDrive NUXX PCB's.

my PCBs arrived today, they look fantastic.

Thanks Steve.

Now get on with the next project ;) :D

Excellent, that's great to hear.

Hmm, so the next project... Lately I've been working on rebuilding an air compressor (almost done) and learning to build bicycle wheels (ongoing).

I'm not sure what to do next electronics-wise.

I finished putting mine together yesterday and they really are great. It only took me a couple minutes to get the software figured out - it is pretty intuitive. I still need to learn the keyboard commands and check out the more advanced configuration options though.

Great to hear. :)

Did you have any problems / difficulties during the assembly? I'd like to hear about any complications encountered, so I can try and avoid such things in the future.

Thanks for all of your work on this c0nsumer. And thank you too, C.P.U., for your work as well.

I have one question for you c0nsumer - which PCB manufacturer did you use? I have a few projects that I may eventually try and was impressed with the quality of the SDrive NUXX PCB's.

You're welcome. Regarding the suppliers, I'll make mention of the names further on, once I'm nearly out of PCBs and panels.

Did you have any problems / difficulties during the assembly? I'd like to hear about any complications encountered, so I can try and avoid such things in the future.

I found that the hole on the front panel for the RW/RO switch was too tight of a fit and I was afraid I was going to break the switch trying to put it on. I ended up using an awl to slightly enlarge the hole from the inside out. That was the only difficulty I had.

I found that the hole on the front panel for the RW/RO switch was too tight of a fit and I was afraid I was going to break the switch trying to put it on. I ended up using an awl to slightly enlarge the hole from the inside out. That was the only difficulty I had.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I personally didn't find it a problem, but I guess that I was a little more willing to push things together being as I had a good pile of panels, switches, and stuff here. It's also possible that there was a small bit of flashing inside the hole of yours, as I did see that on the outside edge of two panels.

I think I must be not understanding something with the software. If I try to use the long filename option, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I assume though that since this requires FAT16, that the 8.3 convention is required for files on the SD card so I'm not sure what long filenames should be doing.

Also (and this comes from a Commodore user, I never had an 8 bit Atari before), is there any way to shut off the beeping while a program is loading? About to drive me up the wall! How did you guys deal with that all the time??!! :-)

I think I must be not understanding something with the software. If I try to use the long filename option, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I assume though that since this requires FAT16, that the 8.3 convention is required for files on the SD card so I'm not sure what long filenames should be doing.

Also (and this comes from a Commodore user, I never had an 8 bit Atari before), is there any way to shut off the beeping while a program is loading? About to drive me up the wall! How did you guys deal with that all the time??!! :-)

Not sure about the long filenames but to stop the beeping you can turn the TV volume down :D

It was the soundtrack to my youth, still love the sound of an 8bit Atari loading :twisted:

Not sure about the long filenames but to stop the beeping you can turn the TV volume down :D

Hehe! Yea, that's been my solution so far. Hoping for a nice HW mod to eliminate it completely. Even a rom swap or something would be fine.

It was the soundtrack to my youth, still love the sound of an 8bit Atari loading :twisted:

I guess I have the same feeling when it comes to the computers of my youth, only mine was the grinding of a 1541 being pounded out of alignment by copy protection. Funny how I'm willing to hook speakers up to my 1541u to hear the simulated drive sounds but on the XL, I can't stand to hear it's signature sound. I spent way too much time in front of my Commodores apparently!

The long file name option just prints the long file name at the bottom of the screen. The file names in the list still display as 8.3, which is generated off of the long file name on the SD card.

As this probably illustrated, you do not need to use 8.3 filenames on the SD card itself. FAT16 does not require 8.3 filenames; you can use long file names with it. I suggest reading this article for more information and using long filenames on the SD card, and leaving the long file name display option on. I think that the convenience of this will come at the expense of more time to parse each directory listing, but I haven't tested this enough to be sure.

Ha, that's how I tell that there is activity on the SIO bus. It's a hardware issue with the Atari, not something that can be turned on/off.

The long file name option just prints the long file name at the bottom of the screen. The file names in the list still display as 8.3, which is generated off of the long file name on the SD card.

As this probably illustrated, you do not need to use 8.3 filenames on the SD card itself. FAT16 does not require 8.3 filenames; you can use long file names with it. I suggest reading this article for more information and using long filenames on the SD card, and leaving the long file name display option on. I think that the convenience of this will come at the expense of more time to parse each directory listing, but I haven't tested this enough to be sure.

Thanks for the info. I'll play around with this a bit more when I get a couple of free minutes. I never thought to look anywhere else on the screen.

Edited by 98PaceCar

Thanks for the info. I'll play around with this a bit more when I get a couple of free minutes. I never thought to look anywhere else on the screen.

Sure thing.

Check out page 3 of SDrive_en.pdf. The L command Shows the long filename (first 80 characters max). Then, Control+L will Turn on/off the automatic displaying of longnames. This stuff shows up at the bottom of the screen. You can then use Control+W to save a bunch of prefereces, including the automatic display of longnames.

I agree that it's a bit of a hassle to not have the long filenames in the main window, but I feel that this was probably the best compromise the designers could make with the limited amount of character space available on the Atari display.

Edited by c0nsumer

Hehe! Yea, that's been my solution so far. Hoping for a nice HW mod to eliminate it completely. Even a rom swap or something would be fine.

A ROM swap would be a nice, easy fix. ;) I haven't really looked into it, but I imagine the problem is with crosstalk between different parts of the board, so it'd take a little more electrical type work to sort it out.

A ROM swap would be a nice, easy fix. ;) I haven't really looked into it, but I imagine the problem is with crosstalk between different parts of the board, so it'd take a little more electrical type work to sort it out.

It's not feedback really. It can be turned off, I'd have to look up the necessary poke. It is possibly more annoying since the SDrive doesn't need to seek or wait for the sector to be ready, so the gap between sectors is very small. Using the higher speed modes, it becomes like a solid tone.

It's not feedback really. It can be turned off, I'd have to look up the necessary poke. It is possibly more annoying since the SDrive doesn't need to seek or wait for the sector to be ready, so the gap between sectors is very small. Using the higher speed modes, it becomes like a solid tone.

Oh, I apologize. I didn't know that. I thought it it was something unintentional, considered acceptable noise in the design.