IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

It's not feedback really. It can be turned off, I'd have to look up the necessary poke. It is possibly more annoying since the SDrive doesn't need to seek or wait for the sector to be ready, so the gap between sectors is very small. Using the higher speed modes, it becomes like a solid tone.

Oh, I apologize. I didn't know that. I thought it it was something unintentional, considered acceptable noise in the design.

No, not at all. I'm beyond happy with the Nuxx and it's performance! I wish there were more people that would make complete package projects like this.

My only complaint was more from a general Atari use standpoint. I'm coming from a different world of classic computing and don't have the same level of nostalgia as some do for the beeping on drive access. I understand why it's there, but would kill to turn it off just due to it driving me nuts to listen to it. Nothing at all to do with the Nuxx! In fact, the Nuxx makes it better since it loads the programs so much quicker and I don't have to listen to it as long!

I have purchased two sio2sd units but it looks like the sdrive nuxx might have been a better choice.

the support your providing far exceeds what I appears in the sio2sd world!

It's not feedback really. It can be turned off, I'd have to look up the necessary poke. It is possibly more annoying since the SDrive doesn't need to seek or wait for the sector to be ready, so the gap between sectors is very small. Using the higher speed modes, it becomes like a solid tone.

Oh, I apologize. I didn't know that. I thought it it was something unintentional, considered acceptable noise in the design.

No, not at all. I'm beyond happy with the Nuxx and it's performance! I wish there were more people that would make complete package projects like this.

My only complaint was more from a general Atari use standpoint. I'm coming from a different world of classic computing and don't have the same level of nostalgia as some do for the beeping on drive access. I understand why it's there, but would kill to turn it off just due to it driving me nuts to listen to it. Nothing at all to do with the Nuxx! In fact, the Nuxx makes it better since it loads the programs so much quicker and I don't have to listen to it as long!

I put the first of my two units together last night. It went together pretty easily and the end result is outstanding. I did have the issue someone else mentioned about the R/W switch being a very tight fit on the front panel so I just enlarged the back of the hole a little at a time until it fit.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create blank .atr files on the SD card from the Atari with the SDrive in the same way as is possible on my SIO2USB? I'm guessing not. It's a useful feature as in Sparta when using the SIO2USB I can create an new disk image, format it and copy files to it all from the Atari without moving the media back to the Mac.

Anyhow - great work Steve. A very professional implementation. The quality of the PCBs is fantastic, far above boards from other home brew upgrades and projects I have done in the past and the thing looks great sitting on top of my 1050.

Edited by spookt

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create blank .atr files on the SD card from the Atari with the SDrive in the same way as is possible on my SIO2USB?

No, it's not possible.

SDrive firmware doesn't make any changes in FAT16 filesystem, it only reads FAT and contents of files or write to existing files.

Though firmware supports operations for read/write SD sectors, so there is theoretical way for any changes on SD card by some special SDrive Atari software, it would be quite complicated and dangerous. It's better to do it by PC.

Edited by raster/c.p.u.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to create blank .atr files on the SD card from the Atari with the SDrive in the same way as is possible on my SIO2USB?

No, it's not possible.

SDrive firmware doesn't make any changes in FAT16 filesystem, it only reads FAT and contents of files or write to existing files.

Though firmware supports operations for read/write SD sectors, so there is theoretical way for any changes on SD card by some special SDrive Atari software, it would be quite complicated and dangerous. It's better to do it by PC.

Yup, I read the docs and that's what I figured. Thanks for confirming it. (And thanks for the SDrive, I think it's a great addition to my set up :) )

Just built my first sdrive_nuxx.

What can I say?

simply awesome, without a doubt the easiest and best prepared Atari hardware kit I have ever used.

Took a little over an hour to build.

So thanks to all involved from C.P.U, Raster and Bob!k for the initial project, c0nsumer for the work he did in making this easy and available and last but not least ,my mate Spookt for ordering all the bits, packing them in individual component bags etc etc.

:thumbsup:

Just built my first sdrive_nuxx.

What can I say?

simply awesome, without a doubt the easiest and best prepared Atari hardware kit I have ever used.

Took a little over an hour to build.

So thanks to all involved from C.P.U, Raster and Bob!k for the initial project, c0nsumer for the work he did in making this easy and available and last but not least ,my mate Spookt for ordering all the bits, packing them in individual component bags etc etc.

:thumbsup:

Thanks very much. I'd hoped it would be easy to put together. There's only a few things I can think of that would have made it better, and all of those involve custom parts (eg: one six-LED piece which doesn't need aligning).

I got my SDrive assembled tonight (minus the SIO connector which I should have in a few days). The fit & finish is absolutely incredible on this thing! I did run into some minor issues. Go here to see my assembly pics.

I'll detail the problem I had below. The rails on the case needed milled out die to interference with some component legs coming through bottom of the PCB. Other than that, everything fit great.

BEFORE : tn05.jpgtn06.jpg

AFTER : tn17.jpgtn16.jpg

On to the positives (99.9% of the entire poject). Check out how awesome the fit & finish is

tn02.jpgtn04.jpg

tn12.jpgtn20.jpg

Only other issue I have is that I didn't get any screws for the end panels with the case I ordered from Mouser.

Stephen Anderson

Edited by Stephen

The rails on the case needed milled out die to interference with some component legs coming through bottom of the PCB. Other than that, everything fit great.

Sorry to say it, but things actually fit just fine if you insert the PCB into the slots on the other side of the case. As you probably noticed, the one of the large sides of the enclosure can be removed. If you insert the PCB into the slots on the other side, there is no case/components interference. Please check out this photo for details of that.

I'll PM you about the screws. The case should have come with 8 or 10 screws and four self-adhesive rubber feet.

The rails on the case needed milled out die to interference with some component legs coming through bottom of the PCB. Other than that, everything fit great.

Sorry to say it, but things actually fit just fine if you insert the PCB into the slots on the other side of the case. As you probably noticed, the one of the large sides of the enclosure can be removed. If you insert the PCB into the slots on the other side, there is no case/components interference. Please check out this photo for details of that.

I'll PM you about the screws. The case should have come with 8 or 10 screws and four self-adhesive rubber feet.

Oh damn do I feel dumb! I had to turn the case upside down! That will teach me to do stuff when I am this tired. Oh well, I'll turn it over the proper way and just ignore the chunks I carved out :)

Stephen Anderson

Edited by Stephen

Oh damn do I feel dumb! I had to turn the case upside down! That will teach me to do stuff when I am this tired. Oh well, I'll turn it over the proper way and just ignore the chunks I carved out :)

Ha, I've definitely been there... Far too often I fall into the trap of trying to work on things too late, only to screw them up a few times before telling myself that it's time to sleep and continue work the next evening. :)

Tomorrow I'll update the SDrive NUXX site's assembly tips (or whatever its called) section about that, just in case.

(Oh, and for reference, I agree that the enclosure looks better with the removable side panel on the bottom, but when I was trying to squeeze all the components into the front panel, this was the only way I could do it and still maintain appropriate spacing. There were a bunch of nicer-design things that I wanted to do, but as the off-the-shelf parts for it just weren't available, it wasn't possible. (Long light pipes, tactile switches with very long keycap-accepting heads, and different types of DIP switches all would have been very nice. They would have all contributed to a smaller enclosure. Still, I'm very happy with how it is. After all, things seem to be unwieldy if they are either too small or too large.))

Edited by c0nsumer

Can anyone help me getting Galaxians to work with a standard 65XE and SDRIVE_NUXX?

All I get is crashes and READY prompt, I have tried all the versions from Fandals site.

I can get it to work on my 1200XL with reverse BASIC selected. Can't seem to get it working by pressing OPTION on the XE :x

Any help greatly appreciated.

Can anyone help me getting Galaxians to work with a standard 65XE and SDRIVE_NUXX?

All I get is crashes and READY prompt, I have tried all the versions from Fandals site.

I can get it to work on my 1200XL with reverse BASIC selected. Can't seem to get it working by pressing OPTION on the XE :x

I'll try this when I get home later, but make sure you have option held down when you exit from the sdrive menu. It does a full cold reboot and the OS will reenable BASIC at at that point if you aren't holding down option.

I'll try this when I get home later, but make sure you have option held down when you exit from the sdrive menu. It does a full cold reboot and the OS will reenable BASIC at at that point if you aren't holding down option.

done that, maybe a problem with my XE

Is that this one. I tried it on my 800XL and every time I just get get "ERROR - 12 AT LINE 0".

Haha,

Error 12 at line 0 thats a funny one, type "List" or just "L." and press Return... you should get an endless scrolling screen filled with zeros... (just like a 10 Print "00000000000000000000000000000000000000" 20 GOTO 10 RUN)...

The answer to that mystery is that Basic was/is still enabled and you should disable it. Maybe press the Option key *while* powering the computer on and hold it for 1-2 seconds... however, if you have an alternative OS, there might be another way to disable built-in Atari Basic (especially if the other OS has inverted Basic, then you must not press the Option key)...

-Andreas Koch.

Haha,

Error 12 at line 0 thats a funny one, type "List" or just "L." and press Return... you should get an endless scrolling screen filled with zeros... (just like a 10 Print "00000000000000000000000000000000000000" 20 GOTO 10 RUN)...

The answer to that mystery is that Basic was/is still enabled and you should disable it. Maybe press the Option key *while* powering the computer on and hold it for 1-2 seconds... however, if you have an alternative OS, there might be another way to disable built-in Atari Basic (especially if the other OS has inverted Basic, then you must not press the Option key)...

-Andreas Koch.

Sorry, but I was holding option both while loading the control program and while cold-booting the machine (using the inverse key) from within the SDrive control program. I don't believe so, but perhaps I was doing something wrong? This is on a stock 800XL.

Sorry, but I was holding option both while loading the control program and while cold-booting the machine (using the inverse key) from within the SDrive control program. I don't believe so, but perhaps I was doing something wrong? This is on a stock 800XL.

If instead of using the SDrive's cold boot via the inverse key I just hit RESET and held option, it (Galaxian.xex mounted in D1) starts up just fine.

If you need to disable BASIC (with standard OS ROM), you have to hold down the OPTION key at first and then press the RESET key. If you press RESET before OPTION is holded down, BASIC will not be disabled.

Also in SDrive Control Program you have to hold down the OPTION at first and then press the RESET or InverseVideo key.

If you need to disable BASIC (with standard OS ROM), you have to hold down the OPTION key at first and then press the RESET key. If you press RESET before OPTION is holded down, BASIC will not be disabled.

Also in SDrive Control Program you have to hold down the OPTION at first and then press the RESET or InverseVideo key.

Ah, that's it. I was hitting InverseVideo and then immediately pressing OPTION. I guess this wasn't fast enough to keep BASIC from loading. Holding OPTION and then pressing InverseVideo works just fine.

In SDrive Control Program you have to hold down the OPTION at first and then press the RESET or InverseVideo key.

I don't like the fact that when you press OPTION before pressing RESET or Inverse Video key the cursor scrolls and you hear key clicks sounds.

Perhaps to keep compatibility with XEGS without keyboard.

I don't like the fact that when you press OPTION before pressing RESET or Inverse Video key the cursor scrolls and you hear key clicks sounds.

That's exactly why I'd tried hitting Inverse before hitting OPTION, because something didn't seem right about holding down OPTION while still in the SDrive control program. But, I'm also a bit picky about such things.

That's exactly why I'd tried hitting Inverse before hitting OPTION, because something didn't seem right about holding down OPTION while still in the SDrive control program. But, I'm also a bit picky about such things.

my mistake too!

I'll try again when I get back from my holiday