IGNORED

SDrive NUXX

c0nsumer

What does everybody else do about this problem? Do people just dump files onto the SD and not care about the order?

Well, it looks like I'll just have to wipe the SD and manually copy each file in order... again.

Hi. Yes, there is FAT file's ordering trouble as you wrote.

SDrive hw can't sorts filenames because it hasn't memory for doing it.

Atari SDrive control software could, but it would be very very slow because of reading whole directories (!) every time, no only 1 page (20 filenames).

But there is one helpful function Control+F for searching (or Shift+characters). Please read the SDrive manual.

Greetings, raster/c.p.u.

What does everybody else do about this problem? Do people just dump files onto the SD and not care about the order?

Well, it looks like I'll just have to wipe the SD and manually copy each file in order... again.

Hi. Yes, there is FAT file's ordering trouble as you wrote.

SDrive hw can't sorts filenames because it hasn't memory for doing it.

Atari SDrive control software could, but it would be very very slow because of reading whole directories (!) every time, no only 1 page (20 filenames).

But there is one helpful function Control+F for searching (or Shift+characters). Please read the SDrive manual.

Greetings, raster/c.p.u.

I'm not blaming the SDrive, which I think is incredibly amazing. I know it is because of the FAT filesystem. I wasn't expecting SDrive control software to do ordering. I was just looking for a convenient method of setting files to be in a certain order when copying to the SD.

Since it seems to be ordered by the order in which files are originally copied (and later fills up available space left by deleted files, in order), it appears that I have no choice but to wipe the SD and manually copy when I want the correct order. This is a bit of a pain in the ass, though, because any OS I copy from orders by either name or date - so I have to scan the entire folder and pick out files in the order I want them. (an eye-numbing procedure when you have a large list)

Maybe I'll just write a program that allows you to drag & drop the order, then copies to the SD in that order, saving the list in a text file for later use. (this program would also be useful for copying to MP3 players that play in copy order)

Edited by Mr.Amiga500

Since it seems to be ordered by the order in which files are originally copied (and later fills up available space left by deleted files, in order), it appears that I have no choice but to wipe the SD and manually copy when I want the correct order. This is a bit of a pain in the ass, though, because any OS I copy from orders by either name or date - so I have to scan the entire folder and pick out files in the order I want them. (an eye-numbing procedure when you have a large list)

Yeah, this is a bummer. I first noticed this with a DS Flashcard, and then the Sdrive NUXX. I just keep a directory on my PC hard drive that's a duplicate of what's on the SD card, and when I want to add something, I add it to this "backup" directory on the PC, then wipe the SD card and copy the whole thing over "again." WinBlows always copies it alphabetically if you do it all at once like that. I normally use Linux but I boot into WinBlows for a few operations, and SD card formatting is one of them. Not sure if I'm just paranoid, though.

Damn! It seems folders don't follow the same rule. I wanted my DEMOS folder as first entry (only have to press one key to view them), so I wiped the SD and created the folder. I copied all the demos to that folder, then each game/program in the order I want. When I checked the SD on the Atari, the DEMOS folder was third entry, not first! Changing the name to DEMO put it halfway down the second page for some unknown reason.

I also wanted certain programs at the top of pages for easy access (press right arrow once to highlight first entry on second page.. and so on). I noticed after copying that I forgot one - and this shifted all my entries up by one, screwing my whole plan. Oh well.

• 3 months later...

Finally built my SDrive NUXX this last weekend. Man, I miss building kits!! Here are some pics of the process.

The parts laid out and ready to go.

post-6701-12796848757_thumb.jpg

Built and in the open case. Now to plug in the controller IC.

post-6701-127968488178_thumb.jpg

Here it is on its first startup.

post-6701-127968488837_thumb.jpg

Atari setup running the NUXX. Notice the monitor with the matching XL colors!!

post-6701-127968489418_thumb.jpg

Lets load up some Hitchhiker's Guide!! Side 1 in D1, Side 2 in D2 and a save disk in D3

post-6701-127968489956_thumb.jpg

Working like a charm!!

post-6701-127968490476_thumb.jpg

That darn spinning room. Where's my towel???

post-6701-127968491105_thumb.jpg

I will definitely get my money's worth out of this purchase!!!

I'm jealous of your abilities. Soldering 2 big wires together is all I trust myself doing! I bought it complete, but it still ranks up there amongst the absolute best Atari money I have ever spent.

I started using mine a little more lately. I guess I should have read the documentation (for original Sdrive maybe) but I was surprised to find it **does** emulate 2 drives at the same time! I did this by accident. What a nice surprise.

I recently bought SIO2SD, and I like it quite well too, but I think the on-screen menu of Sdrive is just easier, and I reach for it more. The NUXX case also does wonders for the appeal of the device.

One thing that kind of freaked me out: I was using the Sdrive first, and the SD card was formatted in FAT. I copied all the ATRs to the PC, then reformatted the SD card for use with SIO2SD in FAT32. Then when I put it back in the Sdrive (later, after I forgot about format change) it acted like the Sdrive was malfunctioning! I mean it just doesn't work and "acted strange" when powered up. I was suspecting my Sdrive NUXX, the Atari....etc... Until I had a "doh!" moment and figured it out. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Edited by wood_jl

Finally built my SDrive NUXX this last weekend. Man, I miss building kits!!

I will definitely get my money's worth out of this purchase!!!

That's one SMART set-up. Nice job with the build, too. Those SDrive-NUXXes are quality through and through. Amazed that I totally missed the boat when they came out: I would have bought a kit (I could afford it then, too).

Always nice when things work first time. Both the SIO2SD boards I built up from scratch worked perfectly when first powered up. icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

Finally built my SDrive NUXX this last weekend. Man, I miss building kits!! Here are some pics of the process.

Here it is on its first startup.

post-6701-127968488837_thumb.jpg

Looks really good. :) Just as a suggestion, press on the front panel around the switch and the LEDs. They fit snugly thorough the front panel, and provided that there aren't any burrs / flashing in the holes (there shouldn't be) you can push the round part of the switch and the LEDs through the panel so it sits a little more flush. See here and you can see how it can fit.

Looks really good. :) Just as a suggestion, press on the front panel around the switch and the LEDs. They fit snugly thorough the front panel, and provided that there aren't any burrs / flashing in the holes (there shouldn't be) you can push the round part of the switch and the LEDs through the panel so it sits a little more flush. See here and you can see how it can fit.

That picture above was actually taken before I securely mounted the panels. Here's a final, finished picture of the NUXX. Also, the write issue I emailed you about was my fault. I was switching the drives before the write light was going out so it was corrupting the data, both on the save disk and the disk I was switching to!! Opps!!!! Was playing HGTTG last night and saved multiple game positions without fail. Thanks again for a great product. Can't wait for your next one!!

post-6701-127972484447_thumb.jpg

Can anyone build a Ready-to-use SDrive NUXX for me? Naturally i will pay for it.

I come from Germany and i can pay via paypal. In October i have Birthday, that were a big surprise for me, when i can this Device then hold in my Hands.

At the moment, my Health don't allow me to build this as DIY-Project.

Valerie

P.S.

Where can i buy SIO-Cables?

Edited by EightBitWitch

Hi Mathy,

i look a the moment only for a SDrive and find the SDrive NUXX very nice.

But i have a XM301-Case and that what for Conversation for SIO2SD, but i dont can it by my self at the moment, because my Health. I will read the respective Thread at tommorow.

Valerie

Hello Valerie

Have you seen this thread --> SIO2SD/XM301 Case Conversion

sincerely

Mathy

Here's another version of the SDrive that looks like it's still available Valerie: EH0130 SDrive Standard

i look a the moment only for a SDrive and find the SDrive NUXX very nice.

But i have a XM301-Case and that what for Conversation for SIO2SD, but i dont can it by my self at the moment, because my Health. I will read the respective Thread at tommorow.

Have you seen this thread --> SIO2SD/XM301 Case Conversion

Can anyone build a Ready-to-use SDrive NUXX for me? Naturally i will pay for it.

I come from Germany and i can pay via paypal. In October i have Birthday, that were a big surprise for me, when i can this Device then hold in my Hands.

Valerie

P.S.

Hi Valerie

I PM'ed you about an SDrive NUXX. I have 1 set of parts left, enough to build one more unit. Did you see my message?

Many thanks for offer - you have a PM from me.

Valerie

Valerie

P.S.

Hi Valerie

I PM'ed you about an SDrive NUXX. I have 1 set of parts left, enough to build one more unit. Did you see my message?

What mean IIRC?

Hello Valerie

Jon (Flashjazzcat) builds SIO2SD's into XM301 cases, that's why I placed the link. All you have to do is send him the case and IIRC the SIO2SD (and pay him) and he will put both together.

sincerely

Mathy

Thanks for the Tipp, thats must wait until Christmas.