IGNORED

Best Baseball Videogame Ever.

vdub_bobby

The best baseball videogame. Ever.

Well, what is it? Any computer/console/handheld ever made, any kind of baseball game (arcade, simulation, managerial, sci-fi, whatever). Your own definition of best.

What do you say? And why?

And if you can't pick just one, tell us which has the best graphics, which is most realistic, which plays the best, which you played the most, whatever else.

Baseball? Oh right, that's that thing people do, hitting balls with sticks and such. The thing where you run around in a circles a lot and kick dust. Yeah. That game.

Uh....

I guess Baseball Stars 2 or Cyberball 2020? Those are the only ones i've ever kind of liked. Dunno. I never play sports games. If I want to play sports, I just go out and do it. Videogames are for shooting people, commanding star fleets, beating people up while screaming 'Ahyu-side-step-squirrel-guts!', and rescuing ridiculously proportioned girls with weird hair and boobs the size of watermelons. :cool:

Oh all right, I DO kinda like Cyberbball 2020. It has land mines :D

Baseball? Oh right, that's that thing people do, hitting balls with sticks and such. The thing where you run around in a circles a lot and kick dust. Yeah. That game.

Uh....

I guess Baseball Stars 2 or Cyberball 2020? Those are the only ones i've ever kind of liked. Dunno. I never play sports games. If I want to play sports, I just go out and do it. Videogames are for shooting people, commanding star fleets, beating people up while screaming 'Ahyu-side-step-squirrel-guts!', and rescuing ridiculously proportioned girls with weird hair and boobs the size of watermelons. :cool:

Oh all right, I DO kinda like Cyberbball 2020. It has land mines :D

There are plenty of baseball games that involve shooting and robots or both. ;)

I played a lot of video baseball growing up... mostly Baseball on the Intellivision and Bases Loaded on NES. Though I didn't own the game until around 2000 or so, I'd have to say that Bad News Baseball (NES) is my favorite. I enjoy the cut scenes (when a runner is sliding to base or there is a homerun) and the gameplay just feels right.

I also like Baseball Stars 2 on the NeoGeo. I haven't played most Baseball titles from the time of Playstation forward. I couldn't stand World Series Baseball 2K1 on the Dreamcast... bleh! A while back, I bought one of the DS Baseball games... MLB Power Pros 2008, I think. It was okay, but it didn't look as good as the 2007 Japanese version... and it didn't play as well as I had hoped. I expect I'll always return to Bad News Baseball when I need a fix.

Edited by mojofltr

Cyberball is a football derivitive. You guys are thinking of 20/20 Super Baseball for the NeoGeo.

Yeah, overall most fun baseball game IMO is Baseball Stars 2. Although, I've grown to really appreciate RBI Baseball for the NES now that I have a 2005 Edition that I play on my DS Lite. :D

Cyberball is a football derivitive. You guys are thinking of 20/20 Super Baseball for the NeoGeo.

Yeah, there's Super Baseball 2020 for the Genesis, also.

And don't forget BaseWars for NES. Baseball robots. My brother always enjoyed that, but I've never played it enough to warrant an honest opinion.

Baseball Stars 2 (Neo-Geo) is my favorite ever. It's one of the only sports games that is still fun to play years after it came out.

Sega made some excellent baseball games too - the World Series Baseball games for the Genesis and Saturn are still pretty fun.

My favorites in no order are:

Bases Loaded II NES

RBI Baseball 3 Genesis

I also like the all-star baseball and Ken Griffey Jr. series.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of Baseball stars on the NES or Neo Geo... Sure Neo BBS looks awesome, I just don't like how it plays much.

On the other hand I think Super Baseball 2020 is really cool, but hardly real baseball..

Oh ya, and World Series Baseball series by Sega is really good.

INTV Major League Baseball. It's fun and not over complicated like anything since. The updated version, World Championship Baseball, even allowed one player vs. computer. It's just a shame the the comp is too easy to beat. Truly a great game if you've got a buddy to play it with.

OQJPvx31RmWk8ep.jpg

Edited by darthkur

I'm used to be a big fan of Baseball Stars, but I've become somewhat disillusioned with it. IMO it suffers from the same thing that most of the 8bit baseball games suffer from: crappy physics. For some reason they can just never get the relative speeds of thrown baseballs, baserunners, and running fielders right, so you end up being able to stretch every single into a homerun (because the throws are so slow) on offense and then never being able to get anyone out on defense except by strikeout. Once when I was bedridden for a week (after a car accident) I spent most of that time playing Baseball Stars and powered up all my players as far as they could go...and they still couldn't throw people out. Seriously, a grounder to the thirdbaseman should be almost an automatic out. That was the turning point for me with that game and I haven't played it since. :(

I have World Series Baseball 2K1 for the Dreamcast and...yeah. What were they thinking? :lol:

I'm used to be a big fan of Baseball Stars, but I've become somewhat disillusioned with it. IMO it suffers from the same thing that most of the 8bit baseball games suffer from: crappy physics. For some reason they can just never get the relative speeds of thrown baseballs, baserunners, and running fielders right, so you end up being able to stretch every single into a homerun (because the throws are so slow) on offense and then never being able to get anyone out on defense except by strikeout. Once when I was bedridden for a week (after a car accident) I spent most of that time playing Baseball Stars and powered up all my players as far as they could go...and they still couldn't throw people out. Seriously, a grounder to the thirdbaseman should be almost an automatic out. That was the turning point for me with that game and I haven't played it since. :(

I have World Series Baseball 2K1 for the Dreamcast and...yeah. What were they thinking? :lol:

Funny.. I found Baseball Stars to be one of the more better games when comparing physics - even compared to the much loved RBI Baseball. It was also the game you could exploit less, to get cheap runs. Sure you could still do things, but I never did, since it would detract from the game..

As far as throwing players out(even from third base) you have to get rid of the ball quickly - which is like real baseball. The split second you field the grounder and then throw, the stronger the throw becomes.. If you hesitate, your throw is weaken, and the ball will slothly make its way, usually bouncing a few times..

Give it another try! :)