IGNORED

Atari 2600 Jr Reset & Select not working

NML32

Hi all,

I have an Atari 2600 Jr. that the Reset and Select buttons don't work. I tested with the Atari Test cart to confirm this.

I ordered a new Reset/Select strip and still not working. I took a piece of wire and touch the lead for each reset and select, this worked. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why the the original and new strip doesn't work before I resort to sodering switches in place.

Thanks

Yeah i agree that plastic film design is pathetically cheap ass.Disappointing,cus the jr. is an otherwise cool machine,a little tricky to put back in the slot after opening the case up for cleaning or whatever.

I just finished adding my push buttons for the reset and select. While I had it apart I cleaned all the other switches.

post-22122-1234221541_thumb.jpg

That doesn't look entirely horrible. :)

(I wish I'd seen this sooner, I know I have the parts you need that I pulled from a working Jr. with a badly mangled case. )

Is there no way to put a low profile tactile switch under those original "buttons" instead of drilling through-holes for a panel mount switch?

• 9 months later...

Bumping an old thread, but I've just picked up a Jr. at a flea market that has this same problem. I pulled the mylar thing out of the slot on the board and put it back in and it still doesn't work. I'm a little confused about how adding switches works... there are some sort of squishy buttons in there that make a connection to the mylar, I guess? If I put different switches there, won't I need to wire them to that connector on the board somehow? If so, how? Can you get a replacement for the mylar ribbon? And if so, how do you get the plastic apart on the switches to put it in?