IGNORED

No thread about Halo Wars yet?

Gabriel

No thread about the demo for Halo Wars yet?

I DLed it this morning and tried it during lunch. I like the idea of Warcraft/Starcraft games.

I say I like the "idea." The problem is that in the years since the birth of the genre, they've fallen into the same trap which catches many other games. They've gotten more and more complex and geared solely towards people who only play those types of games. After sitting through an hour long tutorial in Command & Conquer 3 on the 360, I knew I was in the wrong place. I want a simpler game. I don't want it to be brain dead, but I want to be able to remember the controls after not playing for a month.

My first impression of Halo Wars is that the designers felt my pain and decided to address my issue. The demo seems super simple to control, reminding me of my happy days playing Warcraft II for the first time. I also really like that building structures doesn't involve hunting for exactly the right patch of land and clearing pesky trees away. It was easy to jump into and get to playing. That's good, because I'll often leave a game lie for a long stretch of time before I get back to it.

About the only thing bad I can say at this early point is that it wasn't very easy to select specific groups of units with precision. I'd want to select all my infantry and invariably end up with a jeep selected too. There are also times when troops seem unresponsive to commands to use their special attacks.

No thread about Halo Wars yet?

I was thinking the same thing yesterday as I was checking out the collectors edition on Amazon.

This game sounds right up my alley. I'm not sure how soon I'll get it though, I still have a huge "to play" queue as it is and can't see spending $79.99 on a new game right now. I'll probably wait till they offer a deal on it.

I will try out the demo this week-end.

Ooo yeah sorry. I ment the limited edition.

I sometimes will try to get a L.E. version, but usually only if it's dropped in price. Like I just bought the Fallout 3 L.E. but only because I got it for the same price as a standard edition.

I sometimes will try to get a L.E. version, but usually only if it's dropped in price. Like I just bought the Fallout 3 L.E. but only because I got it for the same price as a standard edition.

I'm to lazy to download the demo... I'd rather be playing mass effect right now! :D

Hopefully it'll be on the official xbox demo disk soon.

What's in the fallout 3 l.e. box? is it worth the extra cash...

I'm thinking of getting either fallout 3 or fable 2 after i finish mass effect..

-rick

I'm to lazy to download the demo... I'd rather be playing mass effect right now! :D

Hopefully it'll be on the official xbox demo disk soon.

I'm thinking of getting either fallout 3 or fable 2 after i finish mass effect..

-rick

Oh! That reminds me - someone gave me the Mass Effect Limited Edition! I didn't even realise there was such a thing but apparently it was released only in Canada.

I have not checked out Fallout 3 yet. I suspect it would take up too much of my time.

Well the limited edition is only $3 more than the standard edition and HELLS YES it's worth every extra penny!!

You'll appreciate the extra more once you start playing the game. The lunchbox it comes packed in would make an excellent bottlecap mine and after finding a few vault-tec bobble-heads in the game, you'll want the one that comes packed in right on you desk. The art book is high quality and book shelf worthy. I do wish it had come with a soundtrack disk. That would have been the best EVER, as it is though it's pretty sweet!!

Well the limited edition is only $3 more than the standard edition and HELLS YES it's worth every extra penny!!

You'll appreciate the extra more once you start playing the game. The lunchbox it comes packed in would make an excellent bottlecap mine and after finding a few vault-tec bobble-heads in the game, you'll want the one that comes packed in right on you desk. The art book is high quality and book shelf worthy. I do wish it had come with a soundtrack disk. That would have been the best EVER, as it is though it's pretty sweet!!

Only if you buy the 360 version. Check out Amazon..... the PS3 Collectors Edition is $105.99!! OUCH!!

(sorry... not trying to hijack a Halo Wars thread with talk of Fallout)

Mendon

I hear you man, People keep saying RTS can't be done on consoles, but quiet a few good ones have been done, the problem is, the whole genera is simply badly designed now. What happened to the old Mouse (joystic for consoles) and one button for yes and one button for no? Remember Warcraft? Age of Empires? Age of Mythology? those games were (and still are) Increadibly playable and would probably work very well on a console...to bad none of them will ever see the light (though I think warcraft did back in the day)

As for Halo Wars, I'll be picking it up, Hopefully it caters more towards the gamers, rather than the uber hardcore PC type RTS'rs, it'll be cool then, but if it's towards the later, feck it. It will barly be playable, and not tolerable at all.

Edited by Video

Only if you buy the 360 version. Check out Amazon..... the PS3 Collectors Edition is $105.99!! OUCH!!

Nah you pulled up one being sold by a particular 3rd party seller. You can get it cheaper than that for PS3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...p;condition=new

I've downloaded the Halo Wars demo but so far I haven't had a chance to try it. Everyone who has tried it though has said it's pretty keen.

I hope it'll be more joystick-friendly than recent RTS's for the 360.

C&C 3 kicked my fuckin' ass!

I tried out C&C Red Alert 3 not too long ago. I liked the idea, but I couldn't get into the implementation. I know these are PC games first and foremost, but it really seemed like the designers tried to make things as awkward and convoluted as possible. I think that's actually an overarching goal with all PC games.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave the Halo Wars demo a go, and liked it. Controls were well designed with the 360 controller in mind, but I did want to know how to break apart my units. I wouldn't pay full price for the game (I am a cheap bastard), but can see picking it up at around $40...

• 2 weeks later...

So tomorrows the big day,.

who's picking it up.....

I'm not the biggest rts or halo fan.... but i did love the age of empire games...

so you could say I'm a big fan of ensemble studios games....

I might pick it up tomorrow.. i have to see what the weathers like.. we got alot

of snow up here in new england today.....

so maybe I'll see some of you guys for some co-op.....

-rick

just went to the metacritic listing for halo wars.... and ouch!

GameSpot game it a 65!

But Game Informer gave it a 90....

I really don't care if it's a "dumbed" down RTS... that doesn't bother me....

heck i love Civ4 on the PC..... which is about as deep as a strategy game can get..

but i still love Civ Rev for the 360......

We'll I guess I'll know tommrow....I skipped the live demo....

-rick

just went to the metacritic listing for halo wars.... and ouch!

GameSpot game it a 65!

I watched the Gamespot review. Nearly all the negatives listed are positive things, imo. The game is simple to pick up. There's not a lot of confusing interface cruft. And the game can be played through without dedicating your life to it.

Really, the key point of the review is that it's not made for die hard RTS fans. The implication being that if it isn't catering solely to that crowd, then it's not a good game.

So, taking the review as saying "the elite RTS folks won't like it" just makes me more eager for the game to arrive.