IGNORED

No thread about Halo Wars yet?

Gabriel

I'm up to the Super Scarab mission and stuck there for now :P On the multiplayer side of things I have more losses then wins but having a lot of fun. Not as enjoyable as Warcraft 3 or Starcraft was but still a lot of fun since I play with a few people I know.

Edited by Ryanw

Sorry for the double post, but if your having trouble online like me you should try out some of the ideas on this site I found:

http://halowarsstrategy.com/

Tried out a few of the ideas online (first time trying any of them out btw) and have won three strait games! Before tonight I didn't even win three games total :P

Here was the easiest one I used:

Captain Cutter Elephant Rush Strategy:

To execute this Halo Wars strategy, your starting build order should be Elephant, Supply Pad, Supply Pad, Supply Pad, Supply Pad. While you are building the Supply Pads, a good Halo Wars strategy will require you to move the Elephant to a discrete location, where you can produce infantry unharmed. Once you have produced enough infantry, a good Halo Wars Strategy will require you to quickly Rush your opponent before he can build adequate defenses. A good Halo Wars strategy will take advantage of the Marine’s “grenade” ability to destroy Turrets and the Flamethrower’s ability to counter opponent infantry. A good Halo Wars strategy will ALWAYS take advantage of the Leader’s ability, in this case the MAC cannon, as well as the UNSC Healing ability and the Disruption Bomb. The goal of this Halo Wars strategy is to inflict an early blow to your opponent, so that he can never fully recover.

I haven't picked up the game yet as I just have too many games in my inventory at the moment that need to be started or finished. But this game is on my GameFly list and if I like it, I'll use the "Keep It" option.

I was reading a forum... might have been the official Xbox forums..... where people were talking about the game and I noticed several rants and angry posts from people complaining that everyone seems to use the "rush" strategy that Ryan posted. I don't know... game looks and sounds fun but for myself, I would hate to go online if everyone is using the same strategy every game.

Mendon

Thats basically it, online that is.

I've only come across one or two opponents that actually build up their bases and create vast armies.

75% of the people you'll come across will try to rush you......so your whole game is spent combatting the constant rush and then rushing, yourself. It doesn't help that on XBL's main pages, they give you two or three video strategies on various rushing techniques. Thanks alot M$. Way to combat n00b rushing.

75% of the people you'll come across will try to rush you......so your whole game is spent combatting the constant rush and then rushing, yourself. It doesn't help that on XBL's main pages, they give you two or three video strategies on various rushing techniques. Thanks alot M$. Way to combat n00b rushing.

If you can't beat them join them right? :P Every RTS has some sort of rushing strategy it'll just take some time to come up with good counter ideas. One thing that helped me out was putting my UNSC base on "lockdown", which allows me to train units and bring them out in a group instead of bringing them out of the base one at a time to get owned.

• 2 weeks later...
When you were moving, you clicked on the gun platform. This has the first available selected unit garrison the object.

I'm almost 101% sure I didn't. It seems liked this one guy took it apon himself to do it on his own because he was near it or something. That's the thing, I always have everyone selected, and it was one person. Just so happened to be the one of two characters that both have to reach the evac zone.

I haven't seen this at all.

I saw it in both level 3 and 4. Maybe an oddball random glitch that only makes it self known sometimes under certain circumstances like happens in other games (Fallout 3 for example)?

Incidentally, what difficulty were you playing on that all your forces and leaders got slaughtered in mission 3?

Whatever the default is. I never bothered to look or change it. Anywho, the reason everyone got slaughtered is because of that one stupid guy. As I said, I made it to the evac zone, but didn't know he was still back by the bridge. So I figured I just had to wait for the rescue to come, and stood there and keep fighting as wave after wave kept comming. Wasn't till everyone was dead that I finally figured out the fool was still inside the base. It was impossible to get him, single handedly to the evac zone by that point.

Edited by Artlover

Just finished Act 3. What an amazing tactics game. The graphics are top-notch in this game and it's not so confusing only the most dedicated can figure it out.

How do you play this game co-op? Do you both issue orders to the group or do you have separate squads you control? Like maybe they split everything down the middle and you each start out with 15 instead of 30? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. Looking forward to trying the game out co-op.

This game has some kick ass cut-scenes. I'm on level 15. The final level from what I can gather. So far this game has been quite a ride, but seems sort of on the short side. I certainly hope co-op is fun. If the single player game was all there was, I'd be pretty pissed I spent the cash for almost full retail (I got it for -$10). However I learned from Halo 3 a short single player experience is Ok as long as the online aspects are top-notch. As it stands though I played through on Normal. I'll probably get some life out of the title going for Golds on every level and the higher difficulty levels. At least the achievements will for me extend the life of the single player game. So far my opinion of the game has been very positive. Looking forward to seeing if that opinion continues after I beat it.

However I learned from Halo 3 a short single player experience is Ok as long as the online aspects are top-notch.

Let me start with a ZP quote... "But people have been telling me that the multiplayer excuses it, unfortunately I don't give a flying shit about multiplayer and nither do alot of people. - A game that is supposed to be perfect wouldn't need anything to excuse it."

With that out of the way.

Multiplayer. Yes. Things like Capture the Flag and DeathMatch. - WOW, you mean it's like Doom, Quake, Team Fortress, Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Digital Paintball, Call of Duty and a multitude of other multi players games that are exactly the same thing going back for decades, only with Halo 3 graphics this time. :ponder:

I dunno what says more; That campaign mode needs to be excused, or that the excuse is an unoriginal clone of something done a 100 times before. :P

Multiplayer. Yes. Things like Capture the Flag and DeathMatch. - WOW, you mean it's like Doom, Quake, Team Fortress, Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Digital Paintball, Call of Duty and a multitude of other multi players games that are exactly the same thing going back for decades, only with Halo 3 graphics this time. :ponder:

You obviously haven't played Halo 3 online or you would know the differences between it and the other games you mentioned. Do me a favor, don't discuss topics you don't have a clue about Artlover. Thanks.

BTW...Who is ZP? Your grandmother? ;)

I'll let you know if Halo Wars online is anything to write home about.

You obviously haven't played Halo 3 online or you would know the differences between it and the other games you mentioned. Do me a favor, don't discuss topics you don't have a clue about Artlover. Thanks.

So you're saying Halo3 doesn't have CTF & DM?

Yes, I know it also has things like on-line campaign co-op too. That actually is pretty cool.

I've played the original Halo in splitscreen co-op with friends before. Pretty fun.

So you're saying Halo3 doesn't have CTF & DM?

Yes, I know it also has things like on-line campaign co-op too. That actually is pretty cool.

I've played the original Halo in splitscreen co-op with friends before. Pretty fun.

Oh no, the online certainly does include CTF and DM among other things. However it has very specific differences that have made it one of the most popular online games ever. Play it and those games a bit (I'd say a couple hours apiece) and you'll see what I mean. :)