IGNORED

6 switch 1980 VCS Intermittent Power up?

potatohead

Just got this one. I cleaned up, and found the little power supply connector had been stressed out of the PC board. Looks for all the world like the pins on it, just broke off, leaving the whole thing too short to solder.

Decided I wanted to check the machine out, so I removed the remaining bits until I can get a replacement.

As a quick test, I connected the 9V power supply directly to the machine. The traces on the PC board lead to the connector wires that bridge the main board and the switches board.

At first nothing. I then ended up being a big shaky, and touched the wire a coupla times and it would run for a little while. It only will run if I do this. Powering it off, with the supply soldered won't work. Unplugging it, waiting won't work. Just jiggling the power switch won't work.

Switches are good, bridge wires are good, power supply connection good. (soldered and polarity is correct) There was no water damage. I looked inside at the main board, and it's been in there, undisturbed. Looks factory, frankly. Switch board is good as well, connector tight.

The only thing that sees any action is a couple of quick, intermittent connects of the live power supply, with the power switch on, and cart inserted! Sometimes it will go for quite a while, sometimes it just won't run very long at all.

I'm stumped. Not sure what to look at. If anything else, the case is in great shape. Perhaps I'll obtain another set of boards...

If you guys have seen them do this, please clue me in!

Just got this one. I cleaned up, and found the little power supply connector had been stressed out of the PC board. Looks for all the world like the pins on it, just broke off, leaving the whole thing too short to solder.

Decided I wanted to check the machine out, so I removed the remaining bits until I can get a replacement.

As a quick test, I connected the 9V power supply directly to the machine. The traces on the PC board lead to the connector wires that bridge the main board and the switches board.

At first nothing. I then ended up being a big shaky, and touched the wire a coupla times and it would run for a little while. It only will run if I do this. Powering it off, with the supply soldered won't work. Unplugging it, waiting won't work. Just jiggling the power switch won't work.

Switches are good, bridge wires are good, power supply connection good. (soldered and polarity is correct) There was no water damage. I looked inside at the main board, and it's been in there, undisturbed. Looks factory, frankly. Switch board is good as well, connector tight.

The only thing that sees any action is a couple of quick, intermittent connects of the live power supply, with the power switch on, and cart inserted! Sometimes it will go for quite a while, sometimes it just won't run very long at all.

I'm stumped. Not sure what to look at. If anything else, the case is in great shape. Perhaps I'll obtain another set of boards...

If you guys have seen them do this, please clue me in!

Time to reflow ALL solder points on the ENTIRE switch board, whether they look ok or not. If it continues, replace the voltage regulator (available at Radio Shack for $1.59). I had a similar situation as yours last week and cleared the issue up in less than an hour. Good luck!

Edited by Benzman66

Well it worked out. Thanks for the tip!

I happened to have something I don't need at the moment, with that particular regulator in it, so I pulled it and replaced the one in the VCS.

Man! Those traces are touchy. Ended up having to run a short jumper, where one pulled away from the board. Seemed like I didn't heat it long at all. If I do any more of this kind of thing, I think I need a temp controlled soldering iron. The one I have is pencil style, cheapo from a hobby store. Probably too hot.

The VCS works now though, and that's good. Knocked out 4K on KABOOM! Been wanting to play that for a while! Got my fix!

Next up is a composite or maybe s-video mod. Which ever is easy.

Tried a batch of games and controllers.

My copy of Medieval Mayhem won't display the title though. Locks up. If I hold reset, it goes ahead and plays the game.

Anyone see that before? Main board marked Rev B, manufactured Taiwan, 1980. If I don't see some comments here, I'll fire off a thread and see what's up!

All in all, I'm pleased though. The case is in excellent shape, and a batch of other carts worked fine. Somewhere I've got a supercharger and the Stella CD. Have to give that a go next.