IGNORED

Commodore 1581 Drive 4 Sale (Possibly)

Draugr

Hello All,

I have a fully tested and working 1581 floppy drive for the Commodore 64/128 system. It comes complete with all cables and the original box. I have the manual around here somewhere and if I find it (Most likely will) I will include it.

I have recently been laid off and need to make some money to pay bills, so I'm thinking of selling one of my two 1581 drives. I really don't have a need for two anyway. I'm not definitely selling the drive, unless someone makes me a good offer. I could auction this on EBAY, but prefer to make the offer on the classic gaming sites like this one first. If you are interested in this drive then please email me at

johndraugr@hotmail.com.

Thanks for Reading this.

P.S: Due to age of item, it will be sold AS IS! As I said though the drive was tested and works fine.

[ 05-30-2002: Message edited by: John Von Draugr ]

You'd have to crack the copy protection. There are plenty of copier programs available on the web that you can download and if you have the right cable X1541 or XE1541 you can convert the emulator image to a c64 5 1/4" disk or with the 1581 a 3.5" disk. The only problems that may come up is with multiple disk games. You may have to put each disk on a seperate 1581 floppy. I never came across that problem but was told when I got the unit that certain programs might have to be copied to seperate 3.5" disks.

• 17 years later...

I don't know why anyone would want it this day in age - except maybe to extract files from a 3.5" disk....those things had horrible reliability issues for me.

what was the deal with 3.5" disks anyway?  I could never use the same one twice, seemed to be useless after reformatting...and compared to 5 1/4" ones, they seemed to have much less shelf life when stored away....during college years, I lost many programming assignments...

Edited by eddhell

3.5" disks were/are horribly unreliable? Could have fooled me. Been using them since the mid 80's and currently have hundreds, if not thousands of them in my collection. All depends how they're stored and handled. Sure, leave them in your attic, humid garage or basement for decades, never clean your drive heads, place near unshielded speakers, etc. and you might run into problems - but you pretty much have to go out of your way to destroy them.

These guys were able to image over 12,000 Amiga 3.5 inch floppies that have been stored in an attic for over 25 years:

http://www.amigaclub.be/projects/bs1

From the looks of it they were all in proper disk cases so proper storage is key. And I can bet the attic was somewhat climate controlled. That said, keep em stored well and limit the amount of times you format and re-write to them and they can be extremely reliable. 

• Like 1

I never had much luck with them, but i steered away from them as much as i could.  Anytime I made boot disks with one, they were unusable for much else for me.

Let me clarify - I didn't have problems with factory made 3.5" game discs, I always had problems re-using store bought blanks.

Edited by eddhell

Nowadays I do not use disks as I just see no reason to. If it were all I had I would of course, but disk images (ADF, etc) combined with great devices like the HxC floppy emulator (or a cheap Gotek if that's your thing) are just convenient and I can do all of the same stuff. I can format images and copy stuff to them through various PC tools and bring them right to the Amiga no sweat. This can be done now with any disk based vintage computer. Using real disks does have its nostalgic properties of course, but I'm done with them myself ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...