IGNORED

Hit the jackpot today

this week i did not have time to hit the usual spots - i only stopped at one out of the way yard sale and holy cow....here is what i found

Odyssey 2 ......like new

10 Games for it all in box and all like new

all booklets included even the recipts for the stores where they were bought (8.95 montgomery ward) mostly

this thing has been sitting untouched....lady said she had bought it for her kids when they were to little to play it....when they finally remembered it (years later)in the attic - the kids had the NES and were not interested in it.

I also got two nes carts nothing special (operation wolf) and SMB/DH/track meet triple cart)

she also threw in some kinda old virtual reality headset thing....haven't really looked at it , it has a steering wheel with it...prob late80's early 90's garbage ware.

total price .................... $8 :P

this week i did not have time to hit the usual spots - i only stopped at one out of the way yard sale and holy cow....here is what i found

Odyssey 2 ......like new

all booklets included even the recipts for the stores where they were bought (8.95 montgomery ward) mostly

this thing has been sitting untouched....lady said she had bought it for her kids when they were to little to play it....when they finally remembered it (years later)in the attic - the kids had the NES and were not interested in it.

I also got two nes carts nothing special (operation wolf) and SMB/DH/track meet triple cart)

she also threw in some kinda old virtual reality headset thing....haven't really looked at it , it has a steering wheel with it...prob late80's early 90's garbage ware.

How, to put this gently. Your jackpot is made out of fools gold. Go check on Ebay sometime. The Odyssey 2 only has one high priced game, and that is Power Lords. Personally I believe the system is underrated but hey those are the breaks sometimes.

Oh, nice response. He got all that for $8. That's a great deal by anyone's standards. Especially with the O2 boxes in great shape. That's a pretty nice starter collection and an interesting find in the wild. Way to poop on someone's parade.

The O2 is one of the more unique looking consoles whether you like its looks or not. It has some really cool items like the boardgame/videogame hybrid titles. The boxes are really cool and unique looking. When people (non-collectors) see my collection, the O2 and its games is one of the first things they go to and ask about, not the super rare stuff that the regular guy isn't going to care at all about. Again, nice find. Nothing like the rush of a wild find like that, even if it's "common". And frankly, finding O2 stuff, especially in that condition, in the wild, in 2009, is not in any way a common occurrence.

Fortunately, the "this system isn't a good find because people on ebay say it's not worth much" attitude is extremely rare. That sort of attitude would ruin the fun of the hobby for anyone, and I frankly feel a little sorry for anyone who thinks that way.

Don't ever let the childlike wonder escape you. Once that happens, it's game over, and you're a value-obsessed pie-in-the-sky pseudo-investor.

Odyssey 2 ......like new

How, to put this gently. Your jackpot is made out of fools gold. Go check on Ebay sometime. The Odyssey 2 only has one high priced game, and that is Power Lords. Personally I believe the system is underrated but hey those are the breaks sometimes.

Homer, why are you so negative with your reponse to This Newer Member. He is not a troll. He isn't just here to try to make money. He posts about games and has Questions about systems and clearly likes to play games. Way to Welocme and keep our newer members. YOu know a lot of Collectors and Vintage Game Players on here don't Care, how much something is worth. They just want to get the games and get the systems as cheap as they can, to play the games. This was a steal. A whole early Vintage System Brand new with games, for $8 What a find. This is a jackpot. Congrates my friend. HHW

And, stories like this are encouraging to others... that the finds are still out there if you put in the time to look (a little luck helps too!) I always share in the thrift finds thread when I find some cool stuff in the wild or on CL. All the stories are a great boost to the community!

Well I guess the negative responses to my cool items have jaded me a little. The reason for the negative response, is I remember the time I also found a boxed Odyssey 2 (Heck it was the rare Phillips Oddssey 2 made in Canada). It also came with a few games that were all boxed. Two of which were Wall Street fortune hunt, and Quest for the rings. I thought I hit the jackpot. I only paid $30 for it, and heck I had 2 of the rarest games for the system. Then I look at Ebay and come to find out my Jackpot find was really fools gold. It's just I have had a similar experience and when realizing what I had was not a jackpot it became a major let down. So this is the reason for my negative response.

Edit: By the way I still have the boxed system and boxed games. I think one day more people will appreciate this system. It's just unfortunate that more people don't appreciate it.

Edited by homerwannabee

Well I guess the negative responses to my cool items have jaded me a little. The reason for the negative response, is I remember the time I also found a boxed Odyssey 2 (Heck it was the rare Phillips Oddssey 2 made in Canada). It also came with a few games that were all boxed. Two of which were Wall Street fortune hunt, and Quest for the rings. I thought I hit the jackpot. I only paid $30 for it, and heck I had 2 of the rarest games for the system. Then I look at Ebay and come to find out my Jackpot find was really fools gold. It's just I have had a similar experience and when realizing what I had was not a jackpot it became a major let down. So this is the reason for my negative response.

Edit: By the way I still have the boxed system and boxed games. I think one day more people will appreciate this system. It's just unfortunate that more people don't appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the Odyssey 2 has lost its place in history. Ask an average person, and they will know Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Sony and most likely Colecovision and Intelevision.

Ask them anything about an Odyssey2, Turbo Graphics, NUON, cd-i, and they will just look at you like you are strange. Unfortunately, there is no nostalgic value to those systems.

If you found that out in the Field, I would call that a very nice find to. To find anything like that out int he field is always nice. :) The difference between you and I, is If I found a System I didn't have or didn't know everything about, I would not rush to ebay. I would enquire with a few buds about the history and then play the hell out of it. :D

Unfortunately, the Odyssey 2 has lost its place in history. Ask an average person, and they will know Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Sony and most likely Colecovision and Intelevision.

Ask them anything about an Odyssey2, Turbo Graphics, NUON, cd-i, and they will just look at you like you are strange. Unfortunately, there is no nostalgic value to those systems.

That's true to a certain extent, but to a lesser extent with the O2. Clearly not as popular as the big names you've mentioned, but a lot of people I've run into remember the O2, and even had one, surprisingly. Obviously someone did, as to this day they're still easy to find. Maybe it was regional, as back in the day, I never knew a single person who ever had an O2.

Thank you for your explanation. That does make a certain amount of sense, as far as your reaction goes. But also, I agree with HHW, that it shouldn't matter what the stuff is worth, and that's the reason for a lot of people's reactions that I've seen to some of your stuff, mine included. It's all about your attitude towards it. If you're clearly focused on the value, how much you think it's going to go up in value, etc... that's just a big turnoff to a lot of people who are in it for the actual fun, and the value is hardly an afterthought. Definitely don't want to get into it all again, as I understand your point of view now. You definitely have some cool stuff, no doubt. Just being chill about it makes it a lot cooler ;)

Edited by Mirage1972

That's true to a certain extent, but to a lesser extent with the O2. Clearly not as popular as the big names you've mentioned, but a lot of people I've run into remember the O2, and even had one, surprisingly. Obviously someone did, as to this day they're still easy to find. Maybe it was regional, as back in the day, I never knew a single person who ever had an O2.

I only ever saw them for sale at Montgomery Wards, so maybe they were only known in places where that store was located. Were they sold at any other stores?

I only ever saw them for sale at Montgomery Wards, so maybe they were only known in places where that store was located. Were they sold at any other stores?

That's a good thought. I don't know. I don't recall seeing them in stores at all back then, but it could just be I wasn't paying attention, or my memories are fading. My only thought is that in Minneapolis where I lived, we had plenty of Wards stores, and I still didn't know anyone with one. But then, my friends didn't really start getting systems until around 1982, so that's more likely the reason.

That's a good thought. I don't know. I don't recall seeing them in stores at all back then, but it could just be I wasn't paying attention, or my memories are fading. My only thought is that in Minneapolis where I lived, we had plenty of Wards stores, and I still didn't know anyone with one. But then, my friends didn't really start getting systems until around 1982, so that's more likely the reason.

You know, it's really strange. The only people I knew growing up with were some family friends that had two girls. My wife's family also only had girls (no boys) and they had the O2 growing up as well. Luckily, I inherited their setup after we got married. We've broken it out at Christmas a couple of times with the whole family and they know how to cheat at the Basketball game. :)

I have two complete boxed systems and about 50 games (many dupes) all boxed, but none of them have price stickers, so I don't know where they got them.

ok, i have a few comments to make here. I have never personally understood why people who call themselves collectors find something at yard sales or thrift stores that they picked up for a few bucks and always feel the need to run home and check it on ebay . Ebay isnt always an acurate barometer anyways. With ebay its all about timing, Ive seen a 20 cart lot sell for $100 and then a week later have seen an almost identical lot sell for $20. And keep in mind, the final price you win the auction for is not the price you pay. I would certainly call Turds find a jackpot. He doesnt have to deal with outrageous shipping costs, feedbacks, dishonest item descriptions etc. He paid 8 dollars for it, so in ebay terms , the item was free of charge with only 8 dollars in shipping costs. congrats on you're freebee.

On the topic of who sold O2's back in the day, My mom bought me mine in 83 from an independent electronics store called Star electronics for about $150. I got my O2 around the time all my friends were getting Vic 20's. I even bought the Computer Intro cart to make it seem more like a computer. But yeah, i think alot of systems were sold at independent type stores where 2600's , intellivision and colecovision got the support of the major retailers.

cheers

Lee

Thanks for all the great responses........Truth be told i never buy anything to resale it...i know i have some stuff i should prob get rid of (i'm kind of a horder i guess) but Something about the look of the odyessy 2 is great to me - it's such a throwback look - not like early star trek look, more like Dr who (tom baker years) look or something. Reading the booklets....wow.....the story lines detailed in some of them is just great, lots of imagination - plus some of the games are just a cut above (for that time period) - Anytime i see something in somebodys junkpile that is in great shape and has somehow made it through 30 years....i always just get excited.

Oh well

-Turd

Thanks for all the great responses........Truth be told i never buy anything to resale it...i know i have some stuff i should prob get rid of (i'm kind of a horder i guess) but Something about the look of the odyessy 2 is great to me - it's such a throwback look - not like early star trek look, more like Dr who (tom baker years) look or something. Reading the booklets....wow.....the story lines detailed in some of them is just great, lots of imagination - plus some of the games are just a cut above (for that time period) - Anytime i see something in somebodys junkpile that is in great shape and has somehow made it through 30 years....i always just get excited.

Oh well

-Turd

Hell I owned over 10 of them. I still get excited when I find one. :) :thumbsup: